DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=24048)

ECW 08-22-2011 06:13 PM

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

You would not believe how vital a ITIN can be, from opening bank accounts to filing taxes. But I realize few people actually how to successfully apply and get one including myself. Is there anybody on this forum who has successfully apply and get a Individual Taxpayer Identification Number using the W-7 form http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf and if so did you fill out section 6d?

yaystarcraft 08-22-2011 09:25 PM

Re: Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

Used my passport number and it worked!

Ali 08-22-2011 09:49 PM

i just sent in the form today. Applied using the ''h'' bank account that accrues interests exception. Will let you know if I succeed and post up a tutorial. I used passport and i'm guessing number as yays says.

fabDreamer 08-23-2011 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali (Post 231654)
i just sent in the form today. Applied using the ''h'' bank account that accrues interests exception. Will let you know if I succeed and post up a tutorial. I used passport and i'm guessing number as yays says.

What is a "h" bank account?

circasurvive 08-23-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabDreamer (Post 231692)
What is a "h" bank account?

He's referring to the "Reason you are submitting Form W7" section. He chose "h" and subsequently put "Bank account".

I used "d" as both of my parents at the time were LPRs and now are USCs.

circasurvive 08-23-2011 05:26 PM

I just want to add that it is possible to open a bank account with this number. However, the only issue I ran into was that they would not give me a debit card. I assume it's because it's tied to your credit history as well, since you can take a line of credit out on it.

Didn't seem like much of an issue at first, but I quickly realized how convenient a debit card would be. Luckily, I found a way to get one that's tied to your account (plus some). PayPal offers a debit card for people with verified accounts. Apply, scan your passport and ITIN documents and your good to go. I have my checking account as my primary backup source, my savings as a secondary, and then my credit card as a third option. Finally, my parents' checking account is also tied to my PayPal account, so I have that added protection as well. It's highly unlikely it gets denied because of all this added protection.

It works mint -- it's accepted everywhere as it's a Mastercard and it makes you look cool because he says "business debit" on it. Pretty badass.

EDIT:
I also forgot that I get cash back for being enrolled in Green$ense (Citizen's Bank) and PayPal's 1% cash back opportunity on select purchases. I actually turned out better than most of my friends with bank issued debit cards!

2Face 08-24-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by circasurvive (Post 231782)
I just want to add that it is possible to open a bank account with this number. However, the only issue I ran into was that they would not give me a debit card. I assume it's because it's tied to your credit history as well, since you can take a line of credit out on it.

Didn't seem like much of an issue at first, but I quickly realized how convenient a debit card would be. Luckily, I found a way to get one that's tied to your account (plus some). PayPal offers a debit card for people with verified accounts. Apply, scan your passport and ITIN documents and your good to go. I have my checking account as my primary backup source, my savings as a secondary, and then my credit card as a third option. Finally, my parents' checking account is also tied to my PayPal account, so I have that added protection as well. It's highly unlikely it gets denied because of all this added protection.

It works mint -- it's accepted everywhere as it's a Mastercard and it makes you look cool because he says "business debit" on it. Pretty badass.

EDIT:
I also forgot that I get cash back for being enrolled in Green$ense (Citizen's Bank) and PayPal's 1% cash back opportunity on select purchases. I actually turned out better than most of my friends with bank issued debit cards!

How exactly do you apply for the Paypal card? It's asking for a SSN on the application form. Tried putting in the ITIN but that was rejected.

2Face 09-01-2011 01:10 AM

bump...been getting offers in the mail for capital one credit card. Just applied for the heck of it and to my surprise got approved. Definitely ecstatic right now but got a few concerns if any of you credit card gurus can help. How exactly will I be able to build credit using the ITIN? If I was to get a SSN in the future...is there a way to have it replace the ITIN by the credit agencies? I just want to ensure I build credit from now on and it doesn't go to waste.

fl_dreamer 09-01-2011 11:46 AM

I have been having issues pulling up my credit report with a ITIN. Is it possible to do? If so, how?
I tried freecreditreport.com and experian separately. Both rejected the request. I submitted the application online.

Any info would help. Thanks!

Ethoswithme 09-02-2011 12:09 AM

i think you need a ss to get a credit report. I actually called the credit agency and they said that in the past you could build credit with a itin but now you need a ss.