DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Senators eye higher visa fees to pay for border security, other parts of bill (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=41113)

Ianus 03-16-2013 10:07 PM

Senators eye higher visa fees to pay for border security, other parts of bill

I guess it is time to start saving if the Gang of 8 intend on making the fees for legalization potentially high.
Quote:

The bipartisan group of U.S. senators working on immigration-reform legislation is considering higher visa fees and fines to offset the cost of expensive provisions in the bill, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The framework of the bill calls for additional border security, a system to track people when they enter and exit the U.S. on visas and improved employment-verification systems, The Journal reports.

Those involved in the Senate discussions say there are two clear places to find revenue: Higher visa fees from businesses that want to bring highly skilled workers to the U.S. and fines on undocumented immigrants now in the country who choose to pursue legal status.

However, such an approach could spark a backlash from businesses and immigration advocates.

The Senate effort is expected to make more visas available to companies that want to bring skilled workers to the U.S. It now costs between $1,575 and $5,550 in fees to obtain the most popular of those visas, the H-1B visa, and that's before taking to account the fees companies pay lawyers to file the applications. The senators expect to unveil in early April

RJD 03-16-2013 10:38 PM

Re: Senators eye higher visa fees to pay for border security, other parts of bill

hopefully dreamers don't get a high fine

youngunner 03-16-2013 10:42 PM

Re: Senators eye higher visa fees to pay for border security, other parts of bill

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJD (Post 445967)
hopefully dreamers don't get a high fine

Yeah I don't think the Dreamers will get the same treatment as others do. They already mentioned several times that we will get treated differently (most likely better).

2Face 03-16-2013 10:50 PM

Well lets start throwing the numbers then. I think anything over $3,000 per individual would be totally absurd. First of all, DACA beneficiaries should not be fined any more. They should be immediately awarded Green Cards. But the rest of the individuals should expect to pay between a grand and 3 g's as a fine. Furthermore, they should expect to present proof of payment of taxes of EACH year they have been present in the United States. Can't wait until this bill is released.

Tovicmar 03-16-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Face (Post 445971)
[i] Can't wait until this bill is released.

Me too! In such way I can read the bill and all speculations end.

Happyman0607 03-17-2013 12:58 AM

Word around the kitchen is it's gonna be released this week, keeping my fingers crossed lol I'm not even in a rush for a GC or anything, I'm just curious to see what's in it lol although I'd love to be a permanent resident tomorrow :D thinking of applying for the Navy

DA User 03-17-2013 01:27 AM

Great news. I think $10,000 per person is fair as long as it will help pass.

Pluribus 03-17-2013 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DA User (Post 446007)
Great news. I think $10,000 per person is fair as long as it will help pass.

C'mon DA User, what kind of optimism is that from you? 10 grand? C'mon.

I can imagine the thoughts of lawyers around the country at the sight of 10 grand. We might as well buy them condos.

zone2oo0 03-17-2013 02:49 AM

10k, come at me..

danieltij 03-17-2013 04:20 AM

Sounds like DA User is willing to pay anything to get some sort of relief. Cant blame him though