DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   New Members (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Brand New!..Need some Help/Advice (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=4353)

Ed 07-05-2007 04:53 PM

Brand New!..Need some Help/Advice

First of all i would like to introduce myself. hi! my names ed. and i am originally from the Philippines. I immigrated here when i was 4. I graduated high school in California. Although since then i have moved to Las vegas, Nevada with my parents. I have yet to go to college. I plan on getting my nursing degree. But unlike Texas and California, I hear that Nevada did not pass the bill in which undocumented students could pay in-state tuition fees. I am also a bit skeptical about going to college because first of all I cannot apply for Fafsa and any federal loans. My resources as far as financial aid is limited, because of my status. Also i have heard many stories about undocumented students who graduate, get degrees and are unable to accept any jobs, because they have yet to get a SSN. I have written, a letter to both of our senators here in nevada, encouraging them to pass the dream act, in which one of them is Harry Reid, the senate majority leader. The way i look at is, if i go to school and am able to get some kind of private loan, then i graduate, and i still cant work, who will help me pay for my loan?..Ill be stuck in the middle of nowhere with my degree. Like i said i plan to get my nursing degree, i was wondering if any of you guys know, if it would be possible if a health agency would sponsor me. because they do that a lot here in nevada. Other than that, what would u guys advice me to do. Any feedback would be great .javascript:emoticon(':(')
Sad

Ed 07-05-2007 06:41 PM

can anyone help me wit my situation..?

Abaddon 07-05-2007 06:50 PM

We are all in the same boat praying for DREAM. Keep calling, writing, faxing!

Welcome to DAP.

ciscokid 07-06-2007 09:25 PM

ED JUST GET ADDICTED TO THIS SITE ALWAYS COME BACK AND GET MOTIVATED BECAUSE IF YOU DONT IT WILL NEVER PASS

8.valenzuela 08-03-2007 02:08 PM

Hi Eduardo
I Think all of us here in this site are very familiar with your situation since we are all motivated individuals who want to become active members of society without a label in our foreheads. We are not able to work legally but its no secret that a lot of us do because we cannot get any type of federal aid to help us with our education costs therefore we must pay for every single fee our school demands. I recently graduated from college with an Associates in Behavioral Sciences and transfered to a Cal State University. Tuition is much higher there and I immediately looked into what type of loans I was able to get but was turned down by all Student Loan companies because I do not have a ssn. I then looked into private loans and the only people I was able to find that will loan me money to go to school was College Loan Corporation. A private loan will only be given to you if you have a qualified co-borrower (legal permanent resident or citizen w/ a good credit score) All you gotta do is find somebody with those qualifications and you can borrow the money and have the option to begin paying as soon as school starts (small monthly payments) or 6 months after graduation. I am currently working in a full-time job and about to attend full-time school as well. I know it might seem hard at times because doors get closed left and right but when that happens, look for the windows!! :-) (if you know what I mean) Never give up and look for options...they are there, I have been turned down so many times because of my status but I keep trying until I find what I am looking for. I have come very far for a person who this country expects nothing more other than to be a burden to the government. It is time something gets done because we are here to succeed not to live in the shadows! Hope my information has helped. The website for private loans is www.collegeloan.com

califoniadreamin' 08-03-2007 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8.valenzuela
Hi Eduardo
I Think all of us here in this site are very familiar with your situation since we are all motivated individuals who want to become active members of society without a label in our foreheads. We are not able to work legally but its no secret that a lot of us do because we cannot get any type of federal aid to help us with our education costs therefore we must pay for every single fee our school demands. I recently graduated from college with an Associates in Behavioral Sciences and transfered to a Cal State University. Tuition is much higher there and I immediately looked into what type of loans I was able to get but was turned down by all Student Loan companies because I do not have a ssn. I then looked into private loans and the only people I was able to find that will loan me money to go to school was College Loan Corporation. A private loan will only be given to you if you have a qualified co-borrower (legal permanent resident or citizen w/ a good credit score) All you gotta do is find somebody with those qualifications and you can borrow the money and have the option to begin paying as soon as school starts (small monthly payments) or 6 months after graduation. I am currently working in a full-time job and about to attend full-time school as well. I know it might seem hard at times because doors get closed left and right but when that happens, look for the windows!! :-) (if you know what I mean) Never give up and look for options...they are there, I have been turned down so many times because of my status but I keep trying until I find what I am looking for. I have come very far for a person who this country expects nothing more other than to be a burden to the government. It is time something gets done because we are here to succeed not to live in the shadows! Hope my information has helped. The website for private loans is www.collegeloan.com

well said 8.valenzuela! BTW, what CSU do you attend? Is it one in So.Cal? I go to CSUN

8.valenzuela 08-03-2007 03:44 PM

I am going to attend CSUF, is this your first year or have u been there for a while?

Neil 08-03-2007 03:47 PM

Quote:

I am going to attend CSUF, is this your first year or have u been there for a while?

Your going to love it there
just ignore the anti-immigration group (and there's a load boat of them at CSUF)

califoniadreamin' 08-03-2007 04:01 PM

Quote:

I've been here for 3 years. I spent my first three years after high school in a community college. Transfered over to CSUN and obtained my bachelors' in two years. Now, i just finished my first year as a grad student here.

8.valenzuela 08-03-2007 04:02 PM

wow, didn't even know there was one. I should have figured since the O.C is such a racist county but not to worry, I am ready and willing to stand up to that kind of people. I have a anecdote back in college in my history class we had to choose from 5 different groups and illegal immigration was one of them. OF course I joined that group only to find that the remaining 5 guys in the group were totally against it. Just hearing a particular guy in the group refer to us as "parasites" enraged me but I wanted to hear what he had to say before I replied. They were all surprised to hear that I was not against it because that was how I entered this country and it was not my will. needless to say, at the end of the semester we had to do a 30 min presentation of what the conclusion was and by the end I got the rest of the guys to be in my side, to see the other side of the coin other than to sit and judge these people by what they hear and see in the media. Our 30 min debate turned into an hour long discussion that basically included only that guy and me going at it and some class participation. My teacher applauded me and students demonstrated their support at the end of class. It felt real good to be able to "enlighten" lol those who base their decisions on ignorant incomplete facts regarding immigrants. I hope I don't have to deal with that type of people though, its pretty uncomfortable to be put in the spot like that but will definitely do it all over again if its necessary.