DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Other Topics (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Going to an employment agency (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=65604)

DamLeon123 10-19-2013 06:12 PM

Going to an employment agency

Hello to all. Next week I plan on going to an employment agency.
I am new to the workforce and only have an Associate's Degree
(In Computer Systems) I plan on going to a four year University, but
for now I need to get a job.
What should I expect when I go in?
Do I have to make an appointment first, or is it just a walk-in?
How should I dress?
I do not have any job history.
I would really appreciate someone helping me out.
Thanks.

bertdude7 10-19-2013 06:40 PM

Re: Going to an employment agency

First things first, you need to understand that if you seek employment through one of these agencies, it will most likely be temporary. They have contracts with employers, once thats expired they will let you go, unless you are very valuable and excel at the job you are doing. You can either make an appointment or just walk in, dress as if you were going to an interview. I wish you good luck!

MDxOD 10-19-2013 09:46 PM

I would call to make an appointment. Send them your resume. That way they have jobs in mind for you when you meet, instead of them getting back to you another day.

Dress professionally, suit, shirt, tie etc... Bring copies of your resume just in case. Yes, they are mostly temp positions or sometimes leading to full time but you will still have work and gain experience. They will take a portion of your paycheck though.

leo86 10-20-2013 12:32 AM

The work exp in your chosen field is the most important thing to get.

Once you put enough time in and you learned enough, get the heck out and find a stable employment elsewhere.

You gotta be mercenary with these agencies because they will ride you if you don't.

DamLeon123 10-22-2013 05:42 PM

I do not have any job experience so I do not know what a resume will do.
I only have an Associate's Degree.

butterflynans 10-26-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamLeon123 (Post 518593)
I do not have any job experience so I do not know what a resume will do.
I only have an Associate's Degree.

still do a resume, or a cover letter. ur aa is your education and a very important achievement that deserves a resume. :)
good luck.

i went to a few of these agencies, they do look at how you are dressed.

DamLeon123 10-26-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butterflynans (Post 519053)
still do a resume, or a cover letter. ur aa is your education and a very important achievement that deserves a resume. :)
good luck.

i went to a few of these agencies, they do look at how you are dressed.

Thank you.
I have called some and they require prior clerical experience (at least two years).
Was it the same when you tried to make appointments.
I will call other agencies and see their requirements.

I am very proficient in MS Word, Excel, and Access.
I am taking a Javascript class now, and can create intermediate
web pages.

Dreamer X 10-26-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamLeon123 (Post 518224)
Hello to all. Next week I plan on going to an employment agency.
I am new to the workforce and only have an Associate's Degree
(In Computer Systems) I plan on going to a four year University, but
for now I need to get a job.
What should I expect when I go in?
Do I have to make an appointment first, or is it just a walk-in?
How should I dress?
I do not have any job history.
I would really appreciate someone helping me out.
Thanks.

FYI Employment agencies on account for a small percentage of hires so don't rely on them and keep looking looking and looking. Check everything, the paper, word of mouth, networking from all the ads online like these but not limited to craigslist, monster, career builder etc.

Be careful on craigslist because theres a chance that they could be scammers. They're pretty easy to spot though. If it's really and way too good to be true, avoid it.

Just dress in a nice dress shirt with tie and slacks. It's better to be overdressed than under dressed. It's the standard in pretty much any interview.

As with your job history, is there anything in your life that you could relate how good of a hire you can be? Did you ever receive and awards, commendations or scholarships? Are you a good student with a high GPA? A hardworker? Were you ever a member of any notable organization such as your colleges "Honor Society"? Were you ever a president or member of a club or church where you played a significant role?

While you don't have actual experience it would help if you volunteer somewhere. Try schools, hospitals and animal shelters. It's best to ask someone you know that works in those places, how to become a volunteer.

Make sure your resume is well written and flawless. FLAWLESS. Errors would make you look like a total NoOb. Review it on your computer and print it out and then review it again for mistakes on paper. I had 30 minutes to get to an interview the one time and I only saw the error on my resume until I printed it out. I was fortunate to have enough time to edit and print it but I had to speed to my interview. lol

When you get an interview, be sure to be knowledgeable of the company and the job you're interviewing for and be quick on your execution with your answers.

Radiate confidence and act like you know what you're saying even if you're just Bsing. Avoid awkward pauses.

If you're a humble person like me, throw that trait out of the window during the duration of the interview and BRAG about how you deserve that job. Now is not a time to be humble. You're competing with very many applicants they are your opponents so crush them all. Unless you're applying to be the shyest most humble muthaf*cka in the establishment which I doubt you are.

If you're working with other people tell the interviewer how you're really easy to work with.

Also ask questions about the establishment that makes it look like you're really interested to join them.

Ask for a contact info for whoever is interviewing you and ask how long it will take for them to respond.

Always remember to thank your interviewer(s) for the opportunity.

BONUS:You don't have to do this but this works for me really well to calm the nerves. Before the interview do, some vocal exercises and face stretching. I know it sounds stupid as hell but It can calm your nerves and help you not get tongue tied and stumble on your words when getting interviewed.

Man I wrote a lot. hahahah

kaptainslapaho 10-27-2013 03:49 PM

i went through an agency. .they got me this job. .and the company just hired me straight to the company. .wish the pay could be better but I am just doing it for work experience.

Pianoswithoutfaith 10-27-2013 03:58 PM

Accounting job?