DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   New Members (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   New member. Seeking advice (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=13308)

bertg 12-12-2009 06:17 PM

New member. Seeking advice

Hello all, My name is Albert and I currently live in Laredo, TX. It is a small city in south texas, about 150 miles south of san antonio.
Here is my story:
I was born in Monterrey, Mexico. I attended school until about the age of 7, when some relatives convinced my parents to move to the U.S. for a better life. So I went through the challenge of having to find new friends, learn a new language, etc. School was hard for the first few years, but I had the luck of making friends fast, which made me work on my english. I learned fast and soon enough could read, write, and speak english fluently. Life was easy as a kid, nothing to worry about except hang out with friends and have fun. Things started to change around high school, when I was finally old and mature enough to understand the fact that I was not the "same" as my friends. Most of the time I forgot about the fact that I was undocumented, until I had to fill out college applications that required a social security number. So I got through high school and was able to apply to a local university. I was accepted but I was still worried about financing my education. Luckily, my counselor told me about the Texas Grant, that is available to undocumented students. I received the grant and got enough money to pay off my tuition. I even received money back.

To return to the present, I just finished my semester, and am doing good in school. Still, not having a social security number is holding me back from many things that I wish I could do. My parents applied for residency through relatives, although the process has taken a lot longer than expected. My hope right now is that immigration reform paves the way for me and my family to fix our situation.

I have been lucky though, than most other undocumented immigrants. For example, I was able to get a driver's liscence about 3 years ago, and it will not expire for another 3 years. I have recently learned that it is no longer possible to do so, so I consider myself lucky to have been able to get it.

Now for my question: I have seen many people here say that they have a job. I would like to ask for advice on what type of job I may be able to get, that does not require a social security number. I desperately need a job, as the economic situation is putting a lot of strain on my parents, and I feel that I need to help them. Thank you for any advice, and sorry for the long story.

10dream 12-13-2009 08:05 PM

Re: New member. Seeking advice

i currently work construction but i have worked at small mom & pop type convinience stores. I suggest u begin your job search in these places, they usually dont mind paying you under the table...... Im from TX too, is the texas grant that you mention the same thing as TASFA?

bertg 12-14-2009 02:36 AM

thanks for the info. To answer the question about the texas grant: Yes, you apply for it by filling out the TASFA.

10dream 12-14-2009 03:38 AM

cool thanks