DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Dating Sites and Apps (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83757)

ECW 07-28-2019 01:47 AM

Dating Sites and Apps
 
Has anybody found there significant other on any of the numerous dating sites and apps out there, tinder, match.com,okcupid etc. and are married?

IamAman 07-28-2019 10:05 AM

Re: Dating Sites and Apps
 
Not married obviously but I've tried one form of online dating for decades going back to the 90's even before the internet was really a thing (yes I'm old). Now days unless you work or go to school with lots of young single people, online seems to be the best game in town. I know a lot of people who met and got married. It's not taboo anymore like it used to be.
  1. Computer Bulletin Board Systems (BBSes as we called them). Pretty much anybody online back then had to be a bit of a techie or geeky so it was actually a fun time to meet people. One of my best friends and I met off there.
  2. AOL - I met a TON of people even though it wasn't specifically a "dating site". You could just check for keywords of whoever was online and just send them an instant message. boom. It would take a month to gain their trust enough to meet but it was great for specific interests. I met one of my current best friends off there like 20+ years ago. Also met someone I dated in college through there before she didn't want to have anything to do with me or my situation.
  3. Match - Match was always more of a serious dating site. Women wanted to know you could support them and you were marriage ready. I met a few people I dated for a bit off there. Solid choice really but as you get older, the more they want someone established.
  4. OKCUPID used to be great and geeky but now they've gone to shit with the right swiping like Tinder
  5. Tinder/Bumble/Coffee meets bagel - Pretty much the best choices now...

One consistent thing I've learned over the years is that human beings are simple creatures so whether you meet online or in person, it all comes down to our monkey brains - physical attraction and success. You have to have one or the other or you'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

ECW 07-28-2019 10:29 AM

Re: Dating Sites and Apps
 
So you were not able to have anybody at all to settle down with?

TexasDreamy 07-28-2019 12:21 PM

Re: Dating Sites and Apps
 
I was briefly engaged to a girl I found on Okcupid and now I’m in a relationship with a girl from Hinge.

It’s a good way to meet people outside your social circle.

beingoflight 07-28-2019 02:43 PM

Re: Dating Sites and Apps
 
Just watch out, many chicks nowadays are into drugs, and a drug conviction for us are fatal.

This is why i stay away from dating apps as much as possible. I only used them once in a while.

trac3rt 07-28-2019 02:55 PM

Re: Dating Sites and Apps
 
I met my, now, wife on OKcupid. We had our first date in the spring of 2015, married in the fall of 2017, and we just had our first child this summer.

It works! :)

AleiaTheEnchanted 07-28-2019 03:11 PM

Re: Dating Sites and Apps
 
Yes I met my husband on OkCupid. Thanks to my friend who insisted I signed up and create a profile despite my skeptical and uncertain feelings. Met and started dating on 2015, then married on 2017.

Swim19 07-28-2019 03:25 PM

Re: Dating Sites and Apps
 
I've dated people for short periods on this site, but never turned into a long term relationship. There's plenty of stories of people who do find their spouse on the dating sites, so it's not impossible.

jwxie518 07-28-2019 04:55 PM

Re: Dating Sites and Apps
 
You can also try seeking arrangement xD.

Okay, tried OD once and thought it was great until it wasn't. Prescreen carefully!

IamAman 07-28-2019 05:58 PM

Re: Dating Sites and Apps
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ECW (Post 739348)
So you were not able to have anybody at all to settle down with?

Nope. In my early 20's I worked 18 hour days making chicken scratch under bad conditions so I wasn't exactly the most attractive to 18-21 year old girls who wanted a guy with his own place and slick car. I know it's a generalization but a lot of 18-21 year olds aren't exactly looking to settle down. It didn't help that I wasn't a white Christian living in a conservative part of the country.

I did meet someone in my mid-20s while I was in school and had my best chance at settling down given that many students hadn't become established yet. We dated for 2 years but my not having a green card was always an issue. From day one her parents hated me because of that telling her I was only dating her because of a green card. I couldn't get a normal job with my situation so I had to work a lot and not be there for some events and they used that to pile on too and eventually she met someone else while she was on a trip...that I found out about and then I was blamed for her cheating.

After a year or two of getting over her, I was meeting people but either I couldn't see myself with them or the other way around. I suppose if I knew this is where I was heading I would have played the game more but I never thought it'd come to this. The Dream Act was in the talks as well as other immigration reforms and I was still thinking I had time.

Now days if I meet someone decent the first question they ask is "what do you do?". It's over after that. Not always but enough times for it to get really old. Now and then I meet someone and it goes a few dates but it ends due to its own natural course.

CUSenior 07-28-2019 06:51 PM

Re: Dating Sites and Apps
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IamAman (Post 739367)
Nope. In my early 20's I worked 18 hour days making chicken scratch under bad conditions so I wasn't exactly the most attractive to 18-21 year old girls who wanted a guy with his own place and slick car. I know it's a generalization but a lot of 18-21 year olds aren't exactly looking to settle down. It didn't help that I wasn't a white Christian living in a conservative part of the country.

I did meet someone in my mid-20s while I was in school and had my best chance at settling down given that many students hadn't become established yet. We dated for 2 years but my not having a green card was always an issue. From day one her parents hated me because of that telling her I was only dating her because of a green card. I couldn't get a normal job with my situation so I had to work a lot and not be there for some events and they used that to pile on too and eventually she met someone else while she was on a trip...that I found out about and then I was blamed for her cheating.

After a year or two of getting over her, I was meeting people but either I couldn't see myself with them or the other way around. I suppose if I knew this is where I was heading I would have played the game more but I never thought it'd come to this. The Dream Act was in the talks as well as other immigration reforms and I was still thinking I had time.

Now days if I meet someone decent the first question they ask is "what do you do?". It's over after that. Not always but enough times for it to get really old. Now and then I meet someone and it goes a few dates but it ends due to its own natural course.


Fuck this is depressing. Sorry dude.

ECW 07-28-2019 07:04 PM

Re: Dating Sites and Apps
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IamAman (Post 739367)
Nope. In my early 20's I worked 18 hour days making chicken scratch under bad conditions so I wasn't exactly the most attractive to 18-21 year old girls who wanted a guy with his own place and slick car. I know it's a generalization but a lot of 18-21 year olds aren't exactly looking to settle down. It didn't help that I wasn't a white Christian living in a conservative part of the country.

I did meet someone in my mid-20s while I was in school and had my best chance at settling down given that many students hadn't become established yet. We dated for 2 years but my not having a green card was always an issue. From day one her parents hated me because of that telling her I was only dating her because of a green card. I couldn't get a normal job with my situation so I had to work a lot and not be there for some events and they used that to pile on too and eventually she met someone else while she was on a trip...that I found out about and then I was blamed for her cheating.

After a year or two of getting over her, I was meeting people but either I couldn't see myself with them or the other way around. I suppose if I knew this is where I was heading I would have played the game more but I never thought it'd come to this. The Dream Act was in the talks as well as other immigration reforms and I was still thinking I had time.

Now days if I meet someone decent the first question they ask is "what do you do?". It's over after that. Not always but enough times for it to get really old. Now and then I meet someone and it goes a few dates but it ends due to its own natural course.

damn =( Not even at church bro... nothing smh. I give you mad credit man, I would have called it quits along time ago

JayR9 07-29-2019 01:18 AM

Re: Dating Sites and Apps
 
Two of my friends met their wives on coffee meets bagel. I use coffee meets bagel, hinge (nowadays), and TanTan. Not really a relationship person and I don’t really have time anymore. I’ll randomly go on a date for fun every few month though.

IamAman 07-29-2019 09:08 AM

Re: Dating Sites and Apps
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ECW (Post 739371)
damn =( Not even at church bro... nothing smh. I give you mad credit man, I would have called it quits along time ago

It even depressed me after re-reading it. I mean in a way I have had a unique experience and a lot of it has been amusing in a Seinfeld kind of way but whether this will end up having a happy ending or being a complete tragedy has yet to be written. This is definitely a critical time in the story of my life however.

Still, I'm on a few dating sites and still meet people. They don't all end badly :)

Lost Generation 07-30-2019 07:40 AM

Re: Dating Sites and Apps
 
I used OKcupid and met my current partner 5 months ago.

ECW 08-21-2019 10:02 AM

Re: Dating Sites and Apps
 
So I'm currently getting to know 7 women between Okcupid and Tinder, the majority of the ones that are serious about getting into a relationship and settling down are from Okcupid. Tinder has a few serious ones, but most just wants to smash.

DreamerAngel 08-21-2019 05:49 PM

Re: Dating Sites and Apps
 
I use them because I’m too busy in person but I don’t expect much out of it because I’m a chubby girl and men see many pictures and sum me up amongst pictures of slimmer women. I’m very picky and a little shallow because I do the same so I’m not upset that my pictures don’t draw much interest. BUT Men on these sites come at me like they think I should be grateful for their attention but they realize quick that I sure as heck am not. I’ve got standards and I’m not settling for less or marrying for papers. Could’ve done that straight outta high school. I’m over it. I won’t let this DACA make anymore of a liar out of me than I already am. I want to marry someone I love or not at all. For a while i was miserable and anxious because I was looking for love and keeping my standards and nothing was happening and I was desperate to change my status and it was stressing me out. One day I just told myself to stop and make preparations to spend my life alone. So I’m looking into alternatives in case DACA falls through. Don’t think I’ll be able to stay here long if DACA is cancelled and still respect myself. We CAN be successful in other First World countries. We HAVE other options besides the US. A big thing I was missing before DACA was official work history. Now that I have that, I can petition to Canada and other countries and who knows, perhaps even find the love of my life there... But thats only if the shit hits the fan here. This is my home and I WANT to stay.

Alfredo93 08-21-2019 06:39 PM

Re: Dating Sites and Apps
 
Stay off the dating sites bros and gals.

Meet people through mutual friends, libraries, gyms, etc. For men, try to avoid meeting women at the bar.

My dating life is excellent. The dilema for me is choosing the right one since I am religious and donít believe in divorce.
Have my own business thatís growing, own car, etc.

IamAman 08-21-2019 07:15 PM

Re: Dating Sites and Apps
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfredo93 (Post 740054)
Stay off the dating sites bros and gals.

Meet people through mutual friends, libraries, gyms, etc. For men, try to avoid meeting women at the bar.

My dating life is excellent. The dilema for me is choosing the right one since I am religious and donít believe in divorce.
Have my own business thatís growing, own car, etc.

You particular situation isn't the same as other people. If you're religious, I'm guessing you're active in a church or some sort where you're around a lot of other people who think the same, look the same, and are in the same age range. That's not the case for a lot of people who might not have that community and live in a large city.

The older you get, you're no longer in school and aren't forced to be around singles in your age group the more you see your friends get married, move away, pass away, etc. and otherwise not be that social anymore.

Then what's left? Meet people at work? Great, if there are single members of the opposite sex in your type of work and you're careful not to get in trouble with HR. Meet people at bars? I'd pick online over a bar any day.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.