DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Dreaming while black (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=82183)

CUSenior 06-17-2018 10:14 PM

Dreaming while black

I think I speak for a lot of y'all when I say that my interactions with the police, regardless of how innocuous, can be rather fear inducing. Our lack of status criminalizes us and makes us especially prone to harsh punishment and detention for the slightest transgression or even an misunderstanding.

I, however, feel privileged because I don't have that much melanin in my skin and frequently pass of as white among people who don't know me. With the instances of police brutality among minority communities and essentially the criminalization of conduct by people of color, I can't even imagine the lives and the fears of black undocumented/DACAmented immigrants. I really want to know though. If any of you feel comfortable talking about it, I really would love to hear your thoughts.

Got_Daca 06-18-2018 10:06 AM

Re: Dreaming while black

Black Privilege is real

Look at entertainment industry. It glorifies black dudes as epitome of manliness.

Look at sports. People worship black athletes as Gods.

Easy to get into Ivy League schools on dem affirmative action.

Black is the new black

Marshall 06-18-2018 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got_Daca (Post 710018)
Black Privilege is real

Look at entertainment industry. It glorifies black dudes as epitome of manliness.

Black is the new black

Are you serious right now? "Black privilege" in the great USA in 2018? If you don't mind me asking how many black people have you talked to that have told you they feel privileged?

The more alarming thing about your post is that you might actually believe the things you mentioned represent a significant portion of the black experience in this country. I'm not attacking you but I would implore you to take some time to educate yourself on what the current black experience is.

Marshall 06-18-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CUSenior (Post 709979)
I think I speak for a lot of y'all when I say that my interactions with the police, regardless of how innocuous, can be rather fear inducing. Our lack of status criminalizes us and makes us especially prone to harsh punishment and detention for the slightest transgression or even an misunderstanding.

I, however, feel privileged because I don't have that much melanin in my skin and frequently pass of as white among people who don't know me. With the instances of police brutality among minority communities and essentially the criminalization of conduct by people of color, I can't even imagine the lives and the fears of black undocumented/DACAmented immigrants. I really want to know though. If any of you feel comfortable talking about it, I really would love to hear your thoughts.

Truth is as a black man I fear for my life if I ever have to interact with the police. Because my accent is not easily noticeable they wont automatically think of me as an immigrant but for some officers my skin color makes me an immediate threat. I consider myself law abiding and will answer any questions I am asked as politely as possible but as we've seen lately sometimes that's still not enough. Being undocumented just added an additional layer to that worry.

BestBefore1984 06-18-2018 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall (Post 710022)
Are you serious right now? "Black privilege" in the great USA in 2018? If you don't mind me asking how many black people have you talked to that have told you they feel privileged?

The more alarming thing about your post is that you might actually believe the things you mentioned represent a significant portion of the black experience in this country. I'm not attacking you but I would implore you to take some time to educate yourself on what the current black experience is.

Actually, believe it or not but that is not a far fetched idea. I didn't believe it for a while, but I listened to an interview by a black man, Charlamagne Tha God, on my favorite podcast "The Art of Charm"

https://theartofcharm.com/podcast-ep...e-episode-647/

Don't get me wrong, I do believe there are folks out there that make decisions based on race; however, I think we as color people need to eliminate the 'victim'mentality.

kyungwc 06-18-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

Black Privilege is real

Black is the new black

Could say same thing about Latinos in baseball and schools.

jaylove16 06-18-2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

Black Privilege is real

Black is the new black

You have a seriously messed up mentality.

Got_Daca 06-18-2018 02:18 PM

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg

CUSenior 06-20-2018 06:32 AM

Okay so screw you Got_Daca.

Anyway Marshall, you mention that your accent makes people immediately assume that you’re an African American descendent of slaves (correct me if I’m wrong). You’re perspective on the distinction between Descendents of American slaves and immigrants seems really interesting if you could expand on it. How would you describe the dynamics between these two black American communities. Is there tension? How do you think you’re exp rienfe in America would differ if you seemed more “foreign” (accent, public customs, etc.).

Marshall 06-21-2018 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CUSenior (Post 710505)
Okay so screw you Got_Daca.

Anyway Marshall, you mention that your accent makes people immediately assume that you’re an African American descendent of slaves (correct me if I’m wrong). You’re perspective on the distinction between Descendents of American slaves and immigrants seems really interesting if you could expand on it. How would you describe the dynamics between these two black American communities. Is there tension? How do you think you’re exp rienfe in America would differ if you seemed more “foreign” (accent, public customs, etc.).

Just like any group black immigrants definitely have varying experiences that shape their views. For me personally I learned very early that when people see me the first thing they see is a black boy not an immigrant so I had to understand that thought process so my views comes primarily from that experience. The relationship between african americans and black african immigrants can be somewhat tense but it usually comes from a place of ignorance in most cases on both sides. When you take a look at both cultures they are very similar in a lot of ways. When people find out I'm an immigrant they sometimes make comments like "oh that why you don't act like them" in which I quickly respond who is them and how do they act? In most cases these people end up turning themselves into pretzels trying to explain their way out of that comment.

I have not listened to the entirety of the Charlamagne podcast or read the book but I've heard him speak on this matter in the past and the term is being taken out of context. His premise does not claim the system is fixed to work to your advantage at the expense of others instead he identifies ways to take advantage of the few opportunities that are available instead of complaining about what doesn't work.