DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Don’t count on the Senate to save Dreamers from SCOTUS (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=84007)

Swim19 11-14-2019 09:28 PM

Don’t count on the Senate to save Dreamers from SCOTUS

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...e-court-070816

Quote:

Perhaps the biggest hurdle is the massive trust deficit between Senate Democrats and the president. They feel so burned by past negotiations — on transportation, gun safety and immigration reform, among the issues — that many in the party seem not to have it in them to try again.

“It is exceptionally difficult to make any deal that sticks. For a man who is supposed to be a great deal-maker, we have yet to see a great deal,” centrist Sen. Chris Coons (D-Del.) said.

Quote:

Just eight Republicans joined the Democrats on the compromise immigration proposal in 2018, a number advocates say could have been much higher without Trump and his aides intervening to oppose it.

“The night before it had 60. … And overnight we lost six Republicans,” said Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine). “I read different things and hear different things that [Trump] is actually sympathetic to the DACA population. But he’s obviously under pressure from hardliners like Stephen Miller to do the wrong thing.”

Quote:

Still, the biggest problem might be getting votes from Democrats for any plan that doesn’t first have Trump’s full and explicit support.

The bipartisan immigration deal cut by Sens. Angus King (I-Maine) and Mike Rounds (R-S.D.) last year got the vote of every Democrat but three. And King says he couldn’t replicate that today after Trump torpedoed it.

“We had a bill, he could have his whole wall and DACA would have been fixed and he killed it,” said King, who caucuses with the Democrats. “It was one of the toughest [caucus meetings] I’ve ever been in to get the votes for that compromise. I don’t believe I would do it today.”

2Face 11-14-2019 09:37 PM

Re: Don’t count on the Senate to save Dreamers from SCOTUS

Stephen Miller’s days with the admin are numbered. He’s going to be fired very soon and that will shoot prospects of a deal up very quickly!

Swim19 11-14-2019 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Face (Post 742964)
Stephen Miller’s days with the admin are numbered. He’s going to be fired very soon and that will shoot prospects of a deal up very quickly!

Will his replacement be any better? And the damage was done already. The Democrats are skittish to make a deal since Trump is likely to change his mind.

beingoflight 11-14-2019 10:11 PM

BULLSHIT, United We Dream started asking for legalization for all shit and we lost the needed support.

FUCK THEM!!!

DogJuiceMan 11-14-2019 10:28 PM

United We Dream profits from undocumented peoples. They skim a little off the top for themselves as "administrative fees", and all sorts of "bills."

Its unfair that they are seen as the leading voice on DACA, when they are on the same team as republicans. Keeping us illegal.

Pianoswithoutfaith 11-14-2019 11:03 PM

Time to write UWD another check. They’re gonna need it more than ever

2Face 11-14-2019 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swim19 (Post 742966)
Will his replacement be any better? And the damage was done already. The Democrats are skittish to make a deal since Trump is likely to change his mind.

I really don't think his replacement will be like him. It seems to me like the reason Trump has been changing his mind is twofold, one because of having snakes like Miller and two he seems to be afraid that his base is being alienated but now I just think he realizes that he already has so much support, his base won't care. In fact many of his die hard supporters actually don't have problems with Dreamers being legalized for now. If he is to win, forget it, he will have no elections to worry about. Chances of something passing would increase dramatically. For now, we need Miller out and from the left, we need far lefties like UWD out.

vft1008 11-15-2019 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Face (Post 742973)
In fact many of his die hard supporters actually don't have problems with Dreamers being legalized for now.

Really, now? Can you please provide a citation so we know you're not pulling that out of your ass?

IamAman 11-15-2019 11:41 AM

Turtle Man isn't going to help. That's a given.

MIdreamer 11-15-2019 12:14 PM

Miller ain't going anywhere, his hardliner view on immigration is what got him hired in the first place.