DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Mass immigration roundups in U.S. to start Sunday - New York Times (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83722)

Red neck 07-11-2019 07:05 AM

Mass immigration roundups in U.S. to start Sunday - New York Times

July 11 (Reuters) - Roundups of undocumented immigrant families will start Sunday in 10 U.S. cities, fulfilling a hardline immigration stance from U.S. President Donald Trump which will be a key issue in his 2020 re-election bid, the New York Times reported.

The raids will be conducted by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents over a number of days starting July 14, the Times reported citing unnamed sources including two current and one former homeland security officials.

Reuters could not independently confirm the pending government action early on Thursday.

The officials told the Times that ICE agents were targeting at least 2,000 immigrants who have been ordered deported but remain in the country illegally.

Trump said on July 5 that the mass roundups would begin "fairly soon," even as migrant advocates vowed their communities would be "ready" when immigration officers come.

He postponed the operation last month after the date was leaked, but last week said it would take place after July 4.

"They'll be starting fairly soon, but I don't call them raids, we're removing people, all of these people who have come in over the years illegally," Trump told reporters at the White House on Friday.

Last month ICE officials said operations would target recently-arrived undocumented migrants in a bid to discourage a surge of Central American families at the southwest border.

ICE said in a previous statement its focus was arresting people with criminal histories but any immigrant found in violation of U.S. laws was subject to arrest.

The threatened raids have rattled immigrant communities and come after apprehensions of migrants on the southwest border hit a 13-year high in May before easing in June as Mexico increased immigration enforcement.

Democratic lawmakers visited an El Paso, Texas, Border Patrol station on Monday and said migrants were being held in "horrifying" conditions, with women told to drink out of a toilet, a claim that has been disputed.

Immigrant families arrested together will be held together, when possible, in family detention centers in Texas and Pennsylvania, the officials told the Times.

But because of space limitations, some might stay in hotel rooms until travel is arranged. (Reporting by Rich McKay in Atlanta; Editing by Toby Chopra)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mass-immi...070512751.html

Hallowpoint1911 07-11-2019 08:20 AM

Re: Mass immigration roundups in U.S. to start Sunday - New York Times

I have family members who are undocumented and possibly have removal orders. I worry for them a lot but there’s not much I can do. My only option is to have a plan in place just in case. If you are going through the same I suggest you also make a plan. At the end of the day, no matter where you physically are, you have a life to live. Good luck.

Alfredo93 07-11-2019 11:45 AM

To me it sounds like show business as usual. No different from what Obama was doing but secretly.

IamAman 07-11-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfredo93 (Post 738892)
To me it sounds like show business as usual. No different from what Obama was doing but secretly.

That is ignorant. If you can't tell the difference, and you're part of the Dreamer community then I don't know how to convince you. Sure under Obama there were also collateral arrests but there were priorities set up. There is no difference now between a gang member arrested for assault and robbery and a parent, or a dreamer.

Outsider626 07-11-2019 12:29 PM

If you or your family has removal orders, make sure that they don't open the door if they don't expect anyone.

Got_Daca 07-11-2019 01:31 PM

Baddies with criminal history and removal orders are out

Only then we DACA will be legalized with open arms

But first baddies must go!

Marco956 07-11-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got_Daca (Post 738897)
Baddies with criminal history and removal orders are out

Only then we DACA will be legalized with open arms

But first baddies must go!

Lol we’re next after the “baddies” bud. Sorry to burst your bubble

BestBefore1984 07-11-2019 02:28 PM

All good. Remember Venezuela said few years back that they will take Dreamers in!

Alfredo93 07-11-2019 03:16 PM

why did the number go from a million to in the 2 thousand’s? I heard they were targeting a million immigrants last month. Are they only starting with 2,000?

cmeow 07-11-2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfredo93 (Post 738900)
why did the number go from a million to in the 2 thousand’s? I heard they were targeting a million immigrants last month. Are they only starting with 2,000?

From what I understand, it's 2k on that day. No one knows how long it'll go for.

Pianoswithoutfaith 07-11-2019 04:06 PM

Can you imagine 2Face in a deportation center still chanting how trump wasn’t going to be touching daca?

PapiChulo 07-11-2019 04:11 PM

imma pour one out for the ones we gonna lose cause it might be us next.

PapiChulo 07-11-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmeow (Post 738901)
From what I understand, it's 2k on that day. No one knows how long it'll go for.

nah bro, thats it.. 2k out of 11+ million illegals.

this dont solve nothing. hes just sending a message and throwing red meat to his base.

frbc13 07-11-2019 04:38 PM

Lol they do not have the resources. My bet is they'll arrest 2000 people and call it a day.

IamAman 07-11-2019 04:42 PM

From https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/11/u...es-deport.html

It seems like this upcoming raid is from those who came more recently which makes more sense given they can be found more easily but the collateral arrests could be anyone. If you live in an immigrant heavy neighborhood and you have family members who are not protected, it's probably best to either stay in all weekend and not open the door for anybody or just take a little summer road trip.

Quote:

The officials said ICE agents were targeting at least 2,000 immigrants who have been ordered deported — some as a result of their failure to appear in court — but who remain in the country illegally. The operation is expected to take place in at least 10 major cities.

The families being targeted crossed the border recently: The Trump administration expedited their immigration proceedings last fall. In February, many of those immigrants were given notice to report to an ICE office and leave the United States, the homeland security officials said.

JohannBernoulli1667 07-11-2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamAman (Post 738906)
From https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/11/u...es-deport.html

It seems like this upcoming raid is from those who came more recently which makes more sense given they can be found more easily but the collateral arrests could be anyone. If you live in an immigrant heavy neighborhood and you have family members who are not protected, it's probably best to either stay in all weekend and not open the door for anybody or just take a little summer road trip.

Summer road trip sounds better

BestBefore1984 07-11-2019 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapiChulo (Post 738903)
imma pour one out for the ones we gonna lose cause it might be us next.

Let's go hide in the World War II tunnels in San Francisco brother.

2MoreYears 07-11-2019 07:24 PM

So glad I got all my plans going on Saturday! I will stick home all day Sunday watching Stranger Things 3.

2Face 07-11-2019 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianoswithoutfaith (Post 738902)
Can you imagine 2Face in a deportation center still chanting how trump wasn’t going to be touching daca?

I don't have any deportation orders and/or any criminal records. But good try loser. Glad to see you're still talking about me when I haven't been here for like a month.

frbc13 07-11-2019 10:46 PM

TexasDreamy 07-11-2019 11:32 PM

From two weeks ago, the 10 cities are probably:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNN.com
Last year, the Executive Office for Immigration Review, which oversees the nation's immigration courts, announced that it had begun tracking family cases filed by the Department of Homeland Security in 10 immigration court locations: Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New Orleans, New York and San Francisco.

Stay frosty.

Pianoswithoutfaith 07-12-2019 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Face (Post 738918)
I don't have any deportation orders and/or any criminal records. But good try loser. Glad to see you're still talking about me when I haven't been here for like a month.

For like a month?

Lmao last time you posted was yesterday. This is no time to clown around

Alfredo93 07-12-2019 03:09 AM

Economy is gonna suck for the rest of the summer, paisas not spending money or going out because they’re scared.

Spock 07-12-2019 12:56 PM

Ok sure criminals with removal orders, that's not too bad, assuming they are actually criminals who have committed some serious crimes.

but this all reminds me of that "first they came for X then they came for Y" etc. you know that saying.

boiling a frog essentially, and it does work.

IamAman 07-12-2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spock (Post 738931)
Ok sure criminals with removal orders, that's not too bad, assuming they are actually criminals who have committed some serious crimes.

but this all reminds me of that "first they came for X then they came for Y" etc. you know that saying.

boiling a frog essentially, and it does work.

I think even the most hardcore of pro immigration people would agree that going after actual criminals is a good idea and let's face it, those criminals often target other immigrants. That's not what this is though.

They are going after those with removal orders and while on the surface it might seem like "well, good, they deserve it", it's not the whole story. If someone had a removal order 6 months ago and they haven't really got established here then sure. We could argue that they might have not gotten a fair shake in the court, they had a shitty or no lawyer, etc. but at the end of the day, we could also argue that they've only been here one or two years and they can move on with their life.

The problem however is that there are people who have removal orders going back decades, especially Dreamers who have them, including some people on here, ahem. For someone who has been here 30 years, this would absolutely destroy their life. They will be left with nothing.

Add to that the fact that ICE is not very accurate. This isn't a precision strike. They'll go in an apartment complex, block off all the exits and start knocking on doors and whoever is unlucky enough to be walking around will get caught in the net - whether someone has a removal order, was EWI, overstay, left their green card at home, or even a citizen who is brown and can't prove on the spot they are a citizen.

I say all this because it's horrifying to see fellow dreamers who have a little bit of protection with DACA dismissing this as "Oh, this is just those other illegals. Fucking losers". but you're right, it's definitely a case of "First they came for X...."

If you have DACA protection and no removal order than god bless you, but have some sympathy for all the lives that are disrupted.

One of my relatives has a Latino family living next door. There is a bunch of them that live in the house and are very proud of that house because they're always doing some sort of project in the back yard and they're kind of annoying because they often have family over with very loud music till late on weekends but they are enjoying their lives and are happy.

When this ICE business was supposed ot happen a couple of weeks ago, they seemed to have disappeared for that weekend. I'm betting at least one of them has some immigration issues. They came back again and now it seems like they're gone again. These are human beings who are afraid of being in their own home. Their lives are fully interrupted, who knows what's happening with work or whatever else they have gone on. This is tragic. No human should live in fear like this.

Smooth 07-12-2019 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamAman (Post 738938)
I think even the most hardcore of pro immigration people would agree that going after actual criminals is a good idea and let's face it, those criminals often target other immigrants. That's not what this is though.

They are going after those with removal orders and while on the surface it might seem like "well, good, they deserve it", it's not the whole story. If someone had a removal order 6 months ago and they haven't really got established here then sure. We could argue that they might have not gotten a fair shake in the court, they had a shitty or no lawyer, etc. but at the end of the day, we could also argue that they've only been here one or two years and they can move on with their life.

The problem however is that there are people who have removal orders going back decades, especially Dreamers who have them, including some people on here, ahem. For someone who has been here 30 years, this would absolutely destroy their life. They will be left with nothing.

Add to that the fact that ICE is not very accurate. This isn't a precision strike. They'll go in an apartment complex, block off all the exits and start knocking on doors and whoever is unlucky enough to be walking around will get caught in the net - whether someone has a removal order, was EWI, overstay, left their green card at home, or even a citizen who is brown and can't prove on the spot they are a citizen.

I say all this because it's horrifying to see fellow dreamers who have a little bit of protection with DACA dismissing this as "Oh, this is just those other illegals. Fucking losers". but you're right, it's definitely a case of "First they came for X...."

If you have DACA protection and no removal order than god bless you, but have some sympathy for all the lives that are disrupted.

One of my relatives has a Latino family living next door. There is a bunch of them that live in the house and are very proud of that house because they're always doing some sort of project in the back yard and they're kind of annoying because they often have family over with very loud music till late on weekends but they are enjoying their lives and are happy.

When this ICE business was supposed ot happen a couple of weeks ago, they seemed to have disappeared for that weekend. I'm betting at least one of them has some immigration issues. They came back again and now it seems like they're gone again. These are human beings who are afraid of being in their own home. Their lives are fully interrupted, who knows what's happening with work or whatever else they have gone on. This is tragic. No human should live in fear like this.

Totally agree.

PapiChulo 07-12-2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Got_Daca don't give af about them, according to her.. they are "baddies"

but i agree with you on every point, sad thing is... this is what our lives has become. there will be "casualties" along the way to the "promised land" could be me or could be you next week.

godspeed, brother.

Smooth 07-12-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

I would also add that some of my family members (mom included) were almost collateral arrests over the last few days. I completely sympathize.

2MoreYears 07-12-2019 08:57 PM

The problem is general. So you could face some headaches if you're at the wrong place at the wrong time regardless of having a removal order or not.

Pianoswithoutfaith 07-13-2019 12:18 AM

Quote:

The sad thing here is that some of the people "agreeing" with you are the very people who where cheering for trump

Smooth 07-13-2019 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianoswithoutfaith (Post 738949)
The sad thing here is that some of the people "agreeing" with you are the very people who where cheering for trump

Cheering?

cmeow 07-13-2019 12:48 AM

Since Muller hearing is not happening next week, the news will be flooded with immigration/deportation news. If they're targeting families, they're going to get major air time. If there is a silver lining, maybe this will move congress to discuss immigration reform.

I can't tell if Trump purposefully announced this to get Congress to move the ball on immigration. There's certainly indication he's open to it. He said he stopped the raids because Pelosi called him to work out a deal so maybe something is happening behind the scenes. Today, Trump defended Pelosi on TV... I think he actually respects her, at least more than Paul Ryan.

IamAman 07-13-2019 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapiChulo (Post 738940)
this is what our lives has become. there will be "casualties" along the way to the "promised land" could be me or could be you next week.

godspeed, brother.

All we can do is our best to not be a casualty. I'm going to be 100% honest here. This week has been one of the toughest weeks of my life and the absolute lowest and most helpless I have ever felt. It seemed like at every corner there was a reminder of my status and the danger I was in and this whole roundup business is adding anxiety on a mountain of already existing anxiety and there is only so much a person can take.

The only thing that keeps me going is the Martin Luther King quote: "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice." which of course doesn't always take a straight line.

dtrt09 07-13-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamAman (Post 738952)
All we can do is our best to not be a casualty. I'm going to be 100% honest here. This week has been one of the toughest weeks of my life and the absolute lowest and most helpless I have ever felt. It seemed like at every corner there was a reminder of my status and the danger I was in and this whole roundup business is adding anxiety on a mountain of already existing anxiety and there is only so much a person can take.

The only thing that keeps me going is the Martin Luther King quote: "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice." which of course doesn't always take a straight line.

I am very sorry that this is costing years of your life.
I cannot believe the level of ignorance that some here propagate that removal orders were only handed to 'criminals'. A big chunk of TPS, Daca recipients, and nearly a million of unprotected udocumented immigrants have deportation orders.

Nancy Pelosi is a joke. She and Schumer need to go. They are the reason it has come to this. 4.6 BILLION to expand detention and promise detainees toiletries and a quick medical screening. That is not protecting immigrants. That is not reform. A slightly less dangerous detention camp, is still a f**** camp!!

A big f**k you to all those who keep enabling them.

BestBefore1984 07-13-2019 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtrt09 (Post 738956)
I am very sorry that this is costing years of your life.
I cannot believe the level of ignorance that some here propagate that removal orders were only handed to 'criminals'. A big chunk of TPS, Daca recipients, and nearly a million of unprotected udocumented immigrants have deportation orders.

Nancy Pelosi is a joke. She and Schumer need to go. They are the reason it has come to this. 4.6 BILLION to expand detention and promise detainees toiletries and a quick medical screening. That is not protecting immigrants. That is not reform. A slightly less dangerous detention camp, is still a f**** camp!!

A big f**k you to all those who keep enabling them.

Beeee mother fucking ingo.

Nancy Pelosi is a master con artist. She has 0 interest in fixing immigration, in fact, she has 0 interest in fixing the shit hole that San Francisco has become. It is in her best interest that the above remain as is. Because let's be honest, she is afraid of losing her Speaker job. How else is she going to sustain her lavish lifestyle? The wolf in sheep's clothing has a copious amount of real estate and numerous multi million dollar homes. There's nothing wrong with wanting to expand your net worth, but this cunt does it at the expense of the American people.

Source: https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...et-worth.html/

If her job was at risk, she would, without hesitation, throw dreamers and the American people under the bus to get ahead.

In fact, she already has. Some will point out that she stood giving her lengthy worthless speech about dreamers during the govt shutdown or that the fraudster passed the Dream Act in the house. Well that was last month, nothing since. It's all for show - 0 interest in advancing or working towards getting something done. True, Bitch McConnell has to make the next move, but again, we're dealing with crooked politicians on all angles.

This isn't a partisan left vs right. This is an American issue and these worthless politicians are robbing America blind. Mind you, they collude amongst themselves to retain power and wealth amongst themselves. They don't see left vs right issues, they see money signs.

If Nancy Pelosi's aides see this, please feel free to set up a meeting with me, so that she can prove me wrong. I am not a violent person (never gotten into a fight in my life) and I have civil discussions - this anger that I am displaying is frustration that continues to bottle up.

For now...

Nancy Pelosi is a C.U.N.T (Corrupt Useless Nancy Trash) and a big fuck you to all of her enablers. Anti-Immigrant Chuck Schumer is unworthy of any discussion. The spineless child molester Republicans get an honorable mention, due to their actual action on immigration, albeit not in a positive way.

dtrt09 07-13-2019 01:27 PM

@BestBefore1984:
The money does not advance any progress. Trump does not seem to have a single advisor with one fiber of moral integrity to put a stop to these abuses and reform the system. Future Elections advance issues. Issues are solved in the moment. We cannot just blame ice agents, uscis staff for this mess. They did not design this system.
What we should be thinking about - especially those with Daca protection - is how to make a solution happen.
TPS people seem to be just for themselves.

Contact your legislators. Make your voices heard.

Smooth 07-13-2019 01:39 PM

Bestbefore & dtrt09,

Now be careful before some mentally incomptent troll accuses you of cheering for Trump. We must support all Democrats!!!!!

I love AOC going at with Pelosi. That donkey dick looking ho needs to go.

Pianoswithoutfaith 07-13-2019 01:43 PM

Smooth you yourself were cheering for trump, come on

dtrt09 07-13-2019 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth (Post 738960)
Bestbefore & dtrt09,

Now be careful before some mentally incomptent troll accuses you of cheering for Trump. We must support all Democrats!!!!!

I love AOC going at with Pelosi. That donkey dick looking ho needs to go.

I ignore those who have blind political allegiance to officials who have repeatedly shown themselves unworthy of it. Why, why????

That is how Obama's administration got away with deporting so many. I don't agree with everything that AOC does, but no one agrees 100% with everything. When it comes to fighting to do the right thing, it is clear who is right, and that was not Pelosi. Or Schumer.

dtrt09 07-13-2019 01:54 PM

Also, stop calling women 'h***, c***' etc. Who taught you guys to attack women with sexually derogatory names? Unlearn it.
I admire your passion for justice, but is absolutely unnecessary and 100% not okay.