DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   New York passes bill to allow driver's licenses for undocumented immigrants (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83657)

Demise 06-18-2019 06:35 AM

New York passes bill to allow driver's licenses for undocumented immigrants

Quote:

(CNN) - New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed a bill Monday that will allow undocumented immigrants to obtain driver's licenses in the state. The measure passed its last hurdle earlier in the day with a "yes" vote in the Senate.

The Senate approved the Green Light Bill with 33 votes to 29, and the result was met with cheers and shouts from the gallery.
Senator Luis Sepulveda, D-Bronx, the bill's original sponsor, was emotional on the Senate floor, where he stood with his young son.
"We are taking a stand for the rights of immigrants in a time where their livelihoods are being threatened and degraded to extreme degrees," Sepulveda said.

"As New Yorkers, we have an obligation to defend other New Yorkers," Gustavo Rivera, D-Bronx, said on the Senate floor. "And every one of these individuals, whether they're documented or not, are New Yorkers."
Twelve other states have similar provisions, Rivera said.

Cuomo had initially been concerned that the legislation might give federal officials information about undocumented individuals that could lead to deportation, but New York Attorney General Letitia James said Monday that there are "safeguards" in the bill against that.

"The legislation is well crafted and contains ample protections for those who apply for driver's licenses," James said in a statement. "If this bill is enacted and challenged in court, we will vigorously defend it."
Cuomo has supported this policy for more than a decade, according to a statement from his office.

"The key to this bill is not the political intent but the legal effect," the statement said. "We hope the Attorney General's assessment is correct for the safety of the thousands of undocumented individuals who are relying on her legal opinion."

Sen. Sepulveda said the legislation is mainly "for the children."

"I have my child here. And the thought of losing my child because of a traffic stop, because of running a red light, would kill me," he said.
Addressing New York's undocumented community, Sepulveda said, "We see you. We welcome you with open arms. You are here, and today we give you the right to move freely around this state without fear."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/17/us/ne...ill/index.html

isk84life 06-18-2019 09:34 AM

Re: New York passes bill to allow driver's licenses for undocumented immigrants

Great news for our people in NY!

JohannBernoulli1667 06-18-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isk84life (Post 737663)
Great news for our people in NY!

I agree, this was Long overdue for the people of New York.

New Jersey should follow.

fl_dreamer 06-18-2019 10:54 AM

How does this work since DL need to be Real ID compliant?

kikibay92 06-18-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_dreamer (Post 737673)
How does this work since DL need to be Real ID compliant?

I'm confused on this part too. Maybe there will be a different type of ID that only designates to driving and not for domestic flights.

vft1008 06-18-2019 12:04 PM

I have USC friends who think this means undocumented people will be able to vote now because of this. >__>

PapiChulo 06-18-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikibay92 (Post 737674)
I'm confused on this part too. Maybe there will be a different type of ID that only designates to driving and not for domestic flights.

yeah there will be "federal limits" stamp for the undocumented DL's

Future accountant 06-18-2019 01:53 PM

Looking forward to finally being able to drive

Outsider626 06-18-2019 03:25 PM

Extra revenue for NY. Very smart.

JohannBernoulli1667 06-18-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vft1008 (Post 737682)
I have USC friends who think this means undocumented people will be able to vote now because of this. >__>

Those people shouldn't be your friends...