DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Question about everify (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=84110)

Malign0n 01-08-2020 10:29 PM

Question about everify

Hey all,

I have a question regarding everify. I know someone who is undocumented but has valid documents for filling out an I-9. They are currently working as a contractor and is working at a company that does everify. My question is if they were interested in transitioning into a worker for said company would they be subject to all the onboarding process including e-verify? If anyone has any experience from contract-to-hire I’d like to hear

JohannBernoulli1667 01-08-2020 10:43 PM

Re: Question about everify

If its done right then yes. Companies are responsible for verifying employment elegibility. If he is leaving an agency to work for a new company then yes they will be subject to E verify. Unless the company purposely hires without it, for whatever reason. Examples could be shitty processes and or knowing before hand they are hiring undocumented but don't care about it etc.

Malign0n 01-08-2020 11:35 PM

I figured that they would be subject to everify. The company is well organized and I don’t expect sloppy onboarding from them. I guess they’ll just finish their contract work with them and move on to another assignment.

Demise 01-09-2020 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malign0n (Post 744191)
I figured that they would be subject to everify. The company is well organized and I don’t expect sloppy onboarding from them. I guess they’ll just finish their contract work with them and move on to another assignment.

Depends if the company actually uses E-Verify. It's not mandated by federal law and only thing the company has to do is look over the provided documents, and sign an I-9.

Malign0n 01-09-2020 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demise (Post 744213)
Depends if the company actually uses E-Verify. It's not mandated by federal law and only thing the company has to do is look over the provided documents, and sign an I-9.

So right now they’re working under a staffing agency (which doesn’t do everify) and doing a short term contract for a company (does everify). I just wanted to know if the onboarding process is different if they were doing a contract-to-hire

Demise 01-09-2020 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malign0n (Post 744217)
So right now they’re working under a staffing agency (which doesn’t do everify) and doing a short term contract for a company (does everify). I just wanted to know if the onboarding process is different if they were doing a contract-to-hire

Not really since it's essentially being hired in the same capacity by the actual company.