DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Other Topics (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Languages: Which ones do you speak? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=26328)

JohannBernoulli1667 02-04-2012 11:01 PM

Languages: Which ones do you speak?
 
Okay, lets be honest here. If you know how to say "bonjour" that does not mean you speak French.

State only the ones you can fluently speak, at least to some degree...be sure to specify quantitatively how much of the language you know.

For example me:

I speak Spanish natively, I am proud to say that my Spanish is superb 100% , even better than my English.

I speak well, English, the language which personally I dislike. There is nothing fun about it.

I am slowing becoming more fluent in French, I would say I can hold a pretty decent conversation. I listen to a lot of music and watch the news a lot 80%.


The other languages that intrest me are German, because I love German culture, music, science and oddly enough Nazi military marches. I sing to songs in German, I march to marchs in German, but I cannot yet speak German. lol :mrgreen:

Note: I do not like any aspect of the Nazi's horrific ideas, but man their music is like magic, it wakes you up, fills you with the desire to work, it replenishes me with determinism!!! Most of their music is from previous eras anyways.

Arabic is so fucking beautiful, I love it because I have this thing for Palestinian girls. All I can say is that I love their curls. :wink:

Ali 02-05-2012 01:34 AM

Re: Languages: Which ones do you speak?
 
My spoken spanish is better than my english; but my grammar, spelling, vocabulary is probably worst at this point (in writing).

I took 3 semesters of german in college, but i don't feel you can quite master a language unless you're immersed in it (living in germany, austria, etc..). I like Rammstein quite a bit.

carnivore 02-05-2012 01:46 AM

Re: Languages: Which ones do you speak?
 
native Portuguese
fluent English (or is that considered native too?)
fluent French (read books without dictionary - took 2 courses conducted in French)
proficient in written German (read books only with dictionary - I'm actually slowly reading Siddhartha by Herman Hesse right now - but bad at speaking)
2 years of Japanese in college, wish I took Russian instead.

JohannBernoulli1667 02-05-2012 01:53 AM

Re: Languages: Which ones do you speak?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali (Post 245536)
My spoken spanish is better than my english; but my grammar, spelling, vocabulary is probably worst at this point (in writing).

I took 3 semesters of german in college, but i don't feel you can quite master a language unless you're immersed in it (living in germany, austria, etc..). I like Rammstein quite a bit.

I bet finding a job in Mexico would be pretty hard, you need to catch up on your grammar or you maybe ridiculed.

JohannBernoulli1667 02-05-2012 02:08 AM

Re: Languages: Which ones do you speak?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by carnivore (Post 245538)
native Portuguese
fluent English (or is that considered native too?)
fluent French (read books without dictionary - took 2 courses conducted in French)
proficient in written German (read books only with dictionary - I'm actually slowly reading Siddhartha by Herman Hesse right now - but bad at speaking)
2 years of Japanese in college, wish I took Russian instead.

God damn! Very nice, I tried learning Portugese at some point. Then I learned French instead, it is easier. It is good you read a lot, that definately helps.

I take it you are Brazilian :p

In French I am reading "Essai philosophique sur les probabilités" By Pierre Simon Laplace, you will learn about him in Electrodinamics, famous for his works in probability, celestial mechanics, and mathematical physics . The Laplace equation makes him popular.

Div (Grad V) = 0 , where V is ofcourse a scalar function.

carnivore 02-05-2012 02:23 AM

Re: Languages: Which ones do you speak?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohannBernoulli1667 (Post 245541)
God damn! Very nice, I tried learning Portugese at some point. Then I learned French instead, it is easier. It is good you read a lot, that definately helps.

I take it you are Brazilian :p

In French I am reading "Essai philosophique sur les probabilités" By Pierre Simon Laplace, you will learn about him in Electrodinamics, famous for his works in probability, celestial mechanics, and mathematical physics . The Laplace equation makes him popular.

Div (Grad V) = 0 , where V is ofcourse a scalar function.

Yeah, I'm Brazilian.

If you're interested in reading foreign language books, get an eReader (SONY PRS-T1 has the best dictionaries and it's only $130). It's so easy to get free out-of-copyright books (if you're interested in the classics). Unfortunately I couldn't find a copy of the book you mentioned, but since it's out of copyright, all it takes is someone to type it up and share.

Ali 02-05-2012 12:59 PM

Re: Languages: Which ones do you speak?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohannBernoulli1667 (Post 245539)
I bet finding a job in Mexico would be pretty hard, you need to catch up on your grammar or you maybe ridiculed.

actually grammar's fine I think (may have exaggerated up there); is just the spelling at this point. Nothing reading a few book wouldn't fix. Not practicing makes you lazy and you end up using some spanglish instead of remembering words around family.


Quote:

Originally Posted by carnivore (Post 245538)
native Portuguese
fluent English (or is that considered native too?)
fluent French (read books without dictionary - took 2 courses conducted in French)

I gather fluent as having perfect dominion of the language; accents being acceptable. Native would mean you have the region's accents/slang/etc.. i gather.

kikibay92 02-05-2012 01:18 PM

Re: Languages: Which ones do you speak?
 
Cantonese, Mandarin, Wenzhouese, Japanese, English and taking Spanish 111 in college...


SPANISH IS HARD!!! The grammar is so confusing

JohannBernoulli1667 02-05-2012 01:38 PM

Re: Languages: Which ones do you speak?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kikibay92 (Post 245552)
Cantonese, Mandarin, Wenzhouese, Japanese, English and taking Spanish 111 in college...


SPANISH IS HARD!!! The grammar is so confusing

I think Spanish would be hard for someone with your background. I am glad I Spanish is my first language! I love it

It sounds so formal, direct, and elegant at the same time. Too bad people in the U.S make it sound all ghetto and shit.

carnivore 02-05-2012 01:42 PM

Re: Languages: Which ones do you speak?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali (Post 245551)
I gather fluent as having perfect dominion of the language; accents being acceptable. Native would mean you have the region's accents/slang/etc.. i gather.

I think I'm native in English then. :???: Not sure, I came here when I was 11, but I speak it flawlessly, maybe only with a slight accent.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.