DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Other Topics (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Question about mexican drivers license.... (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=7469)

95-6bolt 02-23-2008 02:13 PM

Question about mexican drivers license....

Have any of you ever gotten pulled over and showed a valid mexican drivers license????
I have a valid mexican drivers license and was wondering if it could be used if I ever got pulled over driving to college or something.

Thanks......

crassrock 02-23-2008 06:02 PM

Re: Question about mexican drivers license....

where do you live?

i know here in chula vista since my college is like a few minutes from tijuana

alot of people use their TJ license to drive their car with TJ plates.

and cops dont say anything, as long as you have valid insurance

95-6bolt 02-23-2008 06:19 PM

I'm in Texas.
It's about a 30 minute drive to college.
Would it help if I also got an "International License" from Mexico?

My parent's have valid insurance, but I am not under the insurance.

DREAMAct01 02-24-2008 01:11 AM

I live in Texas also. I believe if you get pulled over and if you don't have a drivers license you shouldn't get more than a ticket. I know this, since I know a few people who have been pulled over and nothing happened to them, other than getting a ticket. If you have a Mexico driver's license you have an advantage since if you were to get pulled over you could just say your visiting.

95-6bolt 02-26-2008 12:57 PM

So if I show my Mexican drivers license I should be ok?? I could just say I'm visiting?

RahmanIV 02-27-2008 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95-6bolt (Post 97059)
So if I show my Mexican drivers license I should be ok?? I could just say I'm visiting?

Actually, thats highly risky. In the current hysteria over immigration many police departments are informally cracking down on undocumented immigrants. If you get pulled over and provide a Mexican driver's license, then, considering that Texas is a border state, the police officer may question you about your immigration status. While there is no law that says they can do this, no law explicitly prohibits them from doing so. Additionally, state troopers in Texas are notorious hard asses so getting pulled over by a statie involves that much more risk.

Of course, you can refuse to answer questions about your immigration status but you have to provide your name. Refusing to provide name and identification constitutes reasonable cause for detention.

Your best bet is to not get pulled over. The safest course is not driving at all but if you have to drive, follow all local laws and stay about 5-8 miles under the speed limit. And also make sure your car is legally operable on the road, i.e. have your lights checked, license plates current etc.