DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Just Got the mt DL in FL (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=32207)

Dargwe 09-28-2012 02:30 PM

Just Got the mt DL in FL

well, i havent got my EAD card yet, (but i got my approval letter) but i just got my DL.

Some points about it:

I have never had any kind of Drivers licence, nor SSN yet.

In FL, you don't necessarily need a SSN for the Drivers licence as long as you get a letter of the SSA stating that you don't have one yet, and so i did, the second requirement is a i-797 showing approval and i used the letter they sent me from DHS, saying i got my EAD approved, and of course my passport, with that and two proofs of utility bills i was able to get my Drivers licence for the first time, so i had to take the boring class and everything. But i got it, now the next step is SSN.

arclite 09-28-2012 02:33 PM

Re: Just Got the mt DL in FL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dargwe (Post 320183)
well, i havent got my EAD card yet, (but i got my approval letter) but i just got my DL.

Some points about it:

I have never had any kind of Drivers licence, nor SSN yet.

In FL, you don't necessarily need a SSN for the Drivers licence as long as you get a letter of the SSA stating that you don't have one yet, and so i did, the second requirement is a i-797 showing approval and i used the letter they sent me from DHS, saying i got my EAD approved, and of course my passport, with that and two proofs of utility bills i was able to get my Drivers licence for the first time, so i had to take the boring class and everything. But i got it, now the next step is SSN.

Congratz. Im here in South FL. Hopefully soon I will be approved and able to get my license.

What part of FL are you from?

Dargwe 09-28-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arclite (Post 320189)
Congratz. Im here in South FL. Hopefully soon I will be approved and able to get my license.

What part of FL are you from?

Miami, but i went to the DMV in Opa Locka, they were soooooo nice i mean it was great.

natalia1 09-28-2012 02:45 PM

Congrats! Cant wait to get mine!!

Dargwe 09-28-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natalia1 (Post 320204)
Congrats! Cant wait to get mine!!

don't forget to go to the SS Office to get the letter stating that you currently don't have a SSN cause without that they wont allow you, it only takes about 5 mins (and 45 mins. waiting) and with that and the EAC approval letter you are set.

natalia1 09-28-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dargwe (Post 320212)
don't forget to go to the SS Office to get the letter stating that you currently don't have a SSN cause without that they wont allow you, it only takes about 5 mins (and 45 mins. waiting) and with that and the EAC approval letter you are set.

Ok, thanks! My passport expired, do you think that'll be a problem?

FaithDrivesMe 09-28-2012 02:51 PM

I think it's a similar story in NY. Im not sure though.

Dargwe 09-28-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natalia1 (Post 320215)
Ok, thanks! My passport expired, do you think that'll be a problem?

i dont really know but it is worth a try, if not wait until u get the EAD card it takes about two days after you get the letter.

Dargwe 09-28-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FaithDrivesMe (Post 320216)
I think it's a similar story in NY. Im not sure though.

if you check on the requirements, and it says that you don't need a SSN, probably it would be about the same.

ECW 09-28-2012 03:04 PM

How long did you get your license for?