DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   U Visa Info Please (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=26908)

jamesrfc 03-31-2012 02:27 PM

U Visa Info Please

hi there my names james i am illegal immigrant in sacramento, i wolud like some info on a u visa. i was a victim of street robbery back in 2004 can i apply through this ? also i have a felony conviction for drugs but. the officer who arrested me totally lied on his report. i went to supreme court and got it overturned. this is perjury and turns out this cop has been charghed with 10 of them. i have all the paperwork. just want some info and would love to have a convo with someone who has went through applying for u visa, thanks so much. james :-) there alot more to my case also for a start i am in removal just now.

CB124 03-31-2012 02:40 PM

Re: U Visa Info Please

I believe you would have had to apply for it back in 2004. Its something you do at the time of the crime.

jamesrfc 03-31-2012 02:49 PM

wow not sure that good advice, everything i have read it dosnt matter when it happend, plus the cop one he just got charged last year, cheers

jamesp 03-31-2012 05:20 PM

As far as I know, you still should be able to apply for the u-visa as long as you filed a police report and cooperated with the law enforcement agencies. Your felony conviction definitely can become an issue. Street Robbery may or may not be a felonious assault. You need to prove that you suffered substantial mental or physical harm. I would definitely bspeak to a lawyer about this.

Ianus 03-31-2012 06:08 PM

Perjury and depending on the Robbery charge you might have a strong case for a U-visa.The process is certainly a lot more complicated and time consuming than a lot of people are willing to admit.

If you're in removal proceedings I wouldn't worry about that too much if you have the paperwork proving you are a "crime victim".The most important requirement is getting the certification asap and it seems you might be able to get 2 of them for your case.You should hire an immigration attorney asap to get this going.If you have any other questions you can always PM me.

jamesrfc 03-31-2012 07:50 PM

ianus thanks so much i am totally new on here and dont know how to pm :-). i have 2 attorneys set up just not decided on one to go with yet. i have all the paper work including cops totally false report.i have been speaking to the DA office and the actual guy that is convicting him of this. he said he would like to have a look at it before he fills it in. i have no doubts they will do it or the police or the public defender office. i am just waiting on my report about the street robbery back in 2004. these guys were cought doing about 12 robberys in a week ended in a high speed carchase. so i am just praying that i will get that paperwork to as i went to police station and picked one out back then. i have no problems either with dealing with the mental stress. got 9 month ancle braclet completed 15 month drug programme with the felony charge.. all to be thowing out of court because of cop lieing on report. i am very nervous about this whole thing thou as i been here 11 year ;-) thanks again. peace bro.

CB124 03-31-2012 08:02 PM

OK guys, do any of you have an example of someone getting a U visa from a crime that occurred 8 years ago? Can I read it?

jamesrfc 03-31-2012 08:17 PM

lol cb no but if u look on uscis website..it tells u it dont matter when crime happend as long as it happend in USA and u were cooperative is what counts..like i said in post thou the cop on my perjury case got charged may 2011.

jamesp 03-31-2012 09:45 PM

Here's one precedence. Mardoqueu Silva was a victim of a crime in 1995. He filed for the U-visa in 2009 and eventually it was approved.

http://www.sfweekly.com/2011-03-16/n...lauren-smiley/

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB124 (Post 249285)
OK guys, do any of you have an example of someone getting a U visa from a crime that occurred 8 years ago? Can I read it?

Ianus 04-01-2012 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesrfc (Post 249282)
ianus thanks so much i am totally new on here and dont know how to pm :-). i have 2 attorneys set up just not decided on one to go with yet. i have all the paper work including cops totally false report.i have been speaking to the DA office and the actual guy that is convicting him of this. he said he would like to have a look at it before he fills it in. i have no doubts they will do it or the police or the public defender office. i am just waiting on my report about the street robbery back in 2004. these guys were cought doing about 12 robberys in a week ended in a high speed carchase. so i am just praying that i will get that paperwork to as i went to police station and picked one out back then. i have no problems either with dealing with the mental stress. got 9 month ancle braclet completed 15 month drug programme with the felony charge.. all to be thowing out of court because of cop lieing on report. i am very nervous about this whole thing thou as i been here 11 year ;-) thanks again. peace bro.

Damn,that's a lot of sh*t to go through[excuse my french].If you have the proof along with the certification for a U visa,the Notice to Appear is worthless.However,you need to get a lawyer asap on getting that certification because different agencies and departments have varying ways by which they may issue a certification and they are allowed to do that,and without obligation of signing one.I think this is where a lawyer can help out tremendously!

How long you're here illegally present and how you entered are all irrelevant and if the felony was thrown out also I wouldn't worry about that.What is relevant is what does your Notice to Appear say you're being charged with concerning your removability,what does the NTA say exactly?