DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   OKLAHOMA THE BEGINNING OF THE END(HOUSE BILL 1804) (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=4565)

againstHB1804 07-25-2007 03:07 AM

OKLAHOMA THE BEGINNING OF THE END(HOUSE BILL 1804)

Oklahoma immigrants shake infront of non-constitutional bill!!!!!!

[img]
http://upload6.postimage.org/544235/malditoperro.jpg Thanks to this guy Thousands of kids will no have food in their table, and thousands will lose their bad pay job .

thanks oklahoma for kicking us in the ass like trash! :?
Senator James A. Williamson

Full Senate Approves Illegal Immigration Bill

On Monday, the evenly divided Oklahoma Senate passed a bipartisan immigration reform bill by a 41 to 6 vote. If the House of Representatives accepts the Senate’s amendments to House Bill 1804, the legislation could be on Gov. Brad Henry’s desk by the end of the week.THIS LAW HAS ALLREADY PASSED THIS LAW IS EFFECTIVE SINCE NOVEMBER 1 2007

Sen. James A. Williamson is the Senate author of HB 1804, “The Oklahoma Taxpayer and Citizen Protection Act of 2007.” He said the bill is designed to protect jobs for citizens as well as addressing concerns about taxpayer supported benefits.

“The failure of the federal government to address the problem of illegal immigration has brought this issue before us,” said Williamson, R-Tulsa. “HB 1804 represents our effort to deal with the areas we can through legislation at the state level.”

The bill would prevent illegal immigrants from taking advantage of taxpayer funded services except in cases such as a medical emergency or natural disaster. The legislation also includes language that mirrors federal law on transporting or hiding illegal immigrants. That language would give state law enforcement the authority to take action in such cases. "cops"pulling people over because you look illegal?

Williamson said the bill addresses another area of concern for Oklahomans—protecting the jobs of American citizens.

“Under this bill, if an employer releases a U.S. citizen while retaining an illegal immigrant, the citizen could file a discriminatory practice claim and seek to have both his job and back wages restored,” Williamson said. “In addition, businesses contracting with state agencies that do not use an online program to verify the immigration status of employees would forfeit the ability to do business with the state. Businesses acting in good faith to verify status would be protected against liability.”

Children of immigrants who have lived in the U.S. for at least two years and graduated from an Oklahoma high school would still be eligible for in-state college tuition under the legislation, but the bill includes provisions to ensure those students are taking steps to become citizens. Students currently in college would not fall under the new provisions.

Williamson said the legislation now goes back to the House for consideration of Senate amendments.
“I believe this is a fair, even-handed approach to problems Oklahoma is facing as a result of illegal immigration,” Williamson said. “It is my sincere hope that when this reaches Governor Henry’s desk, he will sign HB 1804 into law.”

For more information contact:
Senator Williamson's Office: (405) 521-5624

[/img]

ihaveadreamtoo 07-25-2007 05:00 AM

this is the same bill that was signed a while back right?

in my opinion, this bill will fail miserably, its confusing (will school bus drivers be detained for taking "look alike illegal children" to school?), it places more burden on cops, it will overcrowd jails (they will place hardworking people trying to make a living behind bars alongside those who kill, rape, murder, and steal), it will cause fear and panic throughout the immigrant community, and i wouldnt be surprised if violence sky rockets as a result, neighbors will turn against neighbors and racism will flourish, not to mention the bill comes to action right around the holidays, sales will drop for local businesses because people will be scared to go out and shop.. i wonder how thought out this bill was.. it makes absolutely no sense.

ive read articles in newspapers that the conservatives themselves say this bill will more than likely not do much, but its more of a loud "bark" against the immigrant community.

lilbawler2001 07-25-2007 10:19 AM

at least they were nice to give instate tuition. And I doubt they will be going on buses checking for illegals.

Ready_to_serve 07-25-2007 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilbawler2001
at least they were nice to give instate tuition. And I doubt they will be going on buses checking for illegals.

Lets call the senator and thank him for his generosity

lilbawler2001 07-25-2007 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ready_to_serve
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilbawler2001

Lets call the senator and thank him for his generosity

He could just have banned instate and made it impossible for undocumented students to go to school so hey be thankful for what you get even if a bad hand is dealt to you.

Bruinman 07-25-2007 11:02 AM

seems like a reasonable bill in today's immigration climate if whats mentioned in the article is all theres to it.

IDim 07-25-2007 01:32 PM

I live in oklahoma and this bill is the reason I had to enter college early. If not I wouldn't of been able to get in state tuition.
My summer vacation :(

VaeVictis 07-25-2007 05:14 PM

come on we guys gotta call NOW........ dream being brought up for vote as an amendment to border security bill....... know this for a fact, so just call!!!