DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Advice on delayed renewal? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=85238)

Crunchykitten 11-30-2021 04:42 PM

Advice on delayed renewal?

Hello all ,

I’m reaching out in hopes for some advice. I am due to expire on 01/22/2022, and sent in my renewal on 08/14/2021. I hadn’t heard anything from USCIS, not even a notice of receipt, so I finally got through to a live agent and inquired about the delay. I was told by USCIS that they hadn’t received anything. Concerned, I emailed the lockbox support email given to me (still no response), and spoke to someone at a local post office to confirm my application had been sent to the correct address and picked up (it was, and had). I need some advice on how to move forward to ensure it’s completed before I expire. Should I contact a lawyer, or my local congressperson? How do I go about doing either? I typically wouldn’t stress as much but I’ve landed my dream job at Memorial Hermann and I’m a little nervous :( All advice is welcome, thank you in advance!

trac3rt 11-30-2021 05:12 PM

Re: Advice on delayed renewal?

USCIS should have sent you a mail/email/txt receipt by now.

My guess is that your application didn't make it or got misplaced. Call USCIS again and ask them to check again. If they don't have it, or if they claim they did not receive it, send a new packet.

I think at this point your application will not get renewed in time. You can contact your congressman once you have a case number. I don't think anyone can do anything if there is no case number.

Have you checked if the check has been cashed?

Crunchykitten 11-30-2021 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trac3rt (Post 765988)
USCIS should have sent you a mail/email/txt receipt by now.

My guess is that your application didn't make it or got misplaced. Call USCIS again and ask them to check again. If they don't have it, or if they claim they did not receive it, send a new packet.

I think at this point your application will not get renewed in time. You can contact your congressman once you have a case number. I don't think anyone can do anything if there is no case number.

Have you checked if the check has been cashed?

I sent it via money order and cannot locate the slip unfortunately. I think contacting them again is a logical thing, but im unsure of what to say and frankly a little nervous :( should I just request that they search again? Is there anything wrong with sending in another packet if they find/proceed with the original one? Thank you for your help.

trac3rt 11-30-2021 05:50 PM

They should have entered the information in their system by now. When you call USCIS, they wont physically go look for the packet. They'll simply run a search in their computer to see if anything comes up.

Just tell them you sent a renewal application months ago... Ask them to confirm they received the packet or that it has been entered in their system.

If they can't find it, just send a new renewal. You can ask them if that is okay, but I don't think that will be a problem.

Use a personal check going forward... you'll have more visibility over it, i think

Crunchykitten 11-30-2021 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trac3rt (Post 765990)
They should have entered the information in their system by now. When you call USCIS, they wont physically go look for the packet. They'll simply run a search in their computer to see if anything comes up.

Just tell them you sent a renewal application months ago... Ask them to confirm they received the packet or that it has been entered in their system.

If they can't find it, just send a new renewal. You can ask them if that is okay, but I don't think that will be a problem.

Use a personal check going forward... you'll have more visibility over it, i think

I called again and they said there was no issue sending in another one, but unfortunately I can’t expedite the process :( and they said to send in a letter afterwards to withdraw the lost application. I’ve got some hope seeing some folks on here receive their stuff pretty fast but I’m still weighing all my options.

trac3rt 12-01-2021 11:09 AM

yeah, sorry to hear that

As you said, your only option at this moment is to send in a new renewal. If the old one shows up you can withdraw one of them.

Phanu9000 12-01-2021 02:41 PM

It seems that they have lost it. I would encourage you to send another packet right away because chances are slim that they are going to find it in the thousands of documents that get shipped to USCIS every year. I would also contact your congressman right away to at least get the ball rolling with them. They may be able to help you and be more sympathetic to your situation if you explain to them that USCIS lost it through no fault of your own, and that now you are having to resubmit it.

In the future I would recommend sending a regular check. That way, you can see if and when the money comes out of your account. Also, it is very unusual for USCIS to take several months before they send you a receipt notice on DACA renewals. In fact, I just sent my renewal last week, and already received my receipt notice in the mail today. (and last week was Thanksgiving week!) So if it ever takes longer than 2 weeks, I would start calling USCIS to figure out what happened.

Lastly, I would very strongly suggest you set up an account with "https://myaccount.uscis.gov/dashboard". You can track all your USCIS form applications through this portal. In fact, when I submitted my renewal last week, it arrived in the lockbox on Wednesday and by Friday I could already see that my account had been updated on "https://myaccount.uscis.gov/dashboard". In fact, I could even see the receipt letter uploaded on that website before it was even sent out to me. This is the best place to check on the progress of your future USCIS applications.

I hope this helps.

D_O650 12-01-2021 08:20 PM

Hello,

I’m not exactly sure where you are sending it to but mine was expiring on 12/15 and I sent my stuff in on 11/3.. everything was approved in a week and I even received my new work permit. I sent my stuff to
Phoenix.

moto 12-01-2021 08:46 PM

seems to be lost if it's not in the system by now. tough situation. if i were you, i would send new packet asap and hope for the best. i helped two people with their application couple weeks back. they reused bio for both of them and one of them is already approved.
and like other poster said, wouldn't hurt to set up uscis account.

Crunchykitten 12-04-2021 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phanu9000 (Post 765998)
It seems that they have lost it. I would encourage you to send another packet right away because chances are slim that they are going to find it in the thousands of documents that get shipped to USCIS every year. I would also contact your congressman right away to at least get the ball rolling with them. They may be able to help you and be more sympathetic to your situation if you explain to them that USCIS lost it through no fault of your own, and that now you are having to resubmit it.

In the future I would recommend sending a regular check. That way, you can see if and when the money comes out of your account. Also, it is very unusual for USCIS to take several months before they send you a receipt notice on DACA renewals. In fact, I just sent my renewal last week, and already received my receipt notice in the mail today. (and last week was Thanksgiving week!) So if it ever takes longer than 2 weeks, I would start calling USCIS to figure out what happened.

Lastly, I would very strongly suggest you set up an account with "https://myaccount.uscis.gov/dashboard". You can track all your USCIS form applications through this portal. In fact, when I submitted my renewal last week, it arrived in the lockbox on Wednesday and by Friday I could already see that my account had been updated on "https://myaccount.uscis.gov/dashboard". In fact, I could even see the receipt letter uploaded on that website before it was even sent out to me. This is the best place to check on the progress of your future USCIS applications.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for the response, very detailed and helpful. I did indeed resubmit last week but still did a money order because I didn’t want to waste time waiting for personal checks to come in (I know, I know :( ). I figured I’ll fight for my lost application later, but getting my renewal in and done was of upmost importance. I’m holding on to the hope because a lot of people on here seem to have recieved theirs rather fast. Any idea on how to reach out to a congressperson? I’m definitely going to, but I’m not sure how to go about it. Thank you!