DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Mother of 2 'anchor babies' & some misdemeanors (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=34390)

aaa23 11-11-2012 03:29 PM

Mother of 2 'anchor babies' & some misdemeanors

I need help. I was brought here at 14. I am now 27. I am married to another undocumented immigrant (he is too old to apply), and we have 2 children who are US citizens (a 5 y/o and a 2 month old). Here are my dilemmas:

1) My first misdemeanor was in 2003--hit & run.
2) In 2004, I was being bullied and I beat the crap out of this girl. Charges were dropped.
3) I have also been pulled over twice (and car taken away) for driving without a license. One of them was a misdemeanor.

Would I still be able to file for my papers? Please help!

TexasDreamy 11-11-2012 03:31 PM

Re: Mother of 2 'anchor babies' & some misdemeanors

I think only 1 & 2 might affect you. I believe they said that traffic related offenses will not be counted against you.

In your case you definitely need to contact a lawyer.

aaa23 11-11-2012 03:34 PM

Thanks. Any idea how much a lawyer would cost?

karega 11-11-2012 03:37 PM

May I ask, what would a lawyer do to help her?

leo18 11-11-2012 03:39 PM

I am very positive that you will be fine to apply!

TexasDreamy 11-11-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaa23 (Post 368717)

Probably $1000 or so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karega (Post 368719)
May I ask, what would a lawyer do to help her?

Many of the people on here probably didn't need a lawyer of any sort since they qualify solidly under every single aspect of the program (5 year presence, diploma, etc), but in exceptional cases like where you've had a large number of legal issues before like a hit & run and so on, I'd trust a lawyer's judgement about whether or not I would submit the application (or how to submit it) before I'd trust someone on a forum.

evegirll18 11-11-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaa23 (Post 368717)

I guess a regular immigration lawyer will go for $1000+ .....maybe a little bit less
You can also look for pro-immigrant organizations, they have lawyers too and most of them provide services at a reduced cost....just google it , ask around, or check with your consulate. Good luck :razz: by the way my husband is also the same as me but he doesn't qualify he's 31 :x too sad

FlyinAgainstTheWind 11-11-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaa23 (Post 368715)
I need help. I was brought here at 14. I am now 27. I am married to another undocumented immigrant (he is too old to apply), and we have 2 children who are US citizens (a 5 y/o and a 2 month old). Here are my dilemmas:

1) My first misdemeanor was in 2003--hit & run.
2) In 2004, I was being bullied and I beat the crap out of this girl. Charges were dropped.
3) I have also been pulled over twice (and car taken away) for driving without a license. One of them was a misdemeanor.

Would I still be able to file for my papers? Please help!

I agree with previous comment about needing a lawyer.

You need a lawyer because of 1, 2. They could be considered as harming someone else. USCIS tends to not like that kind of stuff. Cost of a lawyer depends on your state and area. I would try to speak to 1-2 before deciding on one. Don't go by price alone. You want someone honest, not someone that will fill your ears with honey.
A lawyer would be able to help you get copies of all those records because USCIS will most likely want to see them. She will be able to see what is appropriate to send and what is not. They could also try to clear or seal some of it if is possible.

aaa23 11-11-2012 04:56 PM

I am in California. I do have a high school diploma from the US. Does having 2 US Citizen children have any relevance in my application, though? And by the way, should I approach a criminal defense attorney (for the 1 & 2), or an immigration lawyer??? Thank you all so much for replying to my questions. I really appreciate the advice!

Allthatnmore 11-11-2012 05:00 PM

She does not need a lawyer, all she needs to do is to go to the courthouse and get all the recotds on no. 1 and 2. She has only been convicted of the hit and run, charges were drop on the fight (still need court records.to show charges were drop), and uscis does not care about driving w/o license.