DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Name Change While Having DACA (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=84010)

vft1008 11-15-2019 04:30 PM

Name Change While Having DACA

I wonder if any of you can provide some advice or have experience with this... This is slightly on the complex side.

I got married in October and legally changed my last name (it's now hyphenated). I now got my marriage certificate and am going through the process of notifying different agencies of the name change.

If I go to the Social Security Administration or DMV to do this, I assume they will need the updated name to appear on my EAD. Can anyone confirm this?

If this is true, how can I request an updated EAD from USCIS?

And another twist... I already submitted my DACA app renewal months back. The renewal app does not reflect the name change because I was not married at the time and did not have the certificate (duh). I am really close to the 150 mark of my current EAD expiring and expect my renewal to be approved real soon. Is there anything I can do to make USCIS aware of my name change in time for them to update my renewal app before they generate the EAD?

Hope this all makes sense. Thanks.

Alejanderp 11-15-2019 07:53 PM

Re: Name Change While Having DACA

Hey there. I'm currently changing my last name as well.

Q: If I go to the Social Security Administration or DMV to do this, I assume they will need the updated name to appear on my EAD. Can anyone confirm this?

A: Yes, you will need your EAD to reflect your new last name before SS can change it.

Q: If this is true, how can I request an updated EAD from USCIS?

A: You must submit your renewal application with USCIS. If you already have a EAD with a long expiration, you can submit a replacement application with your new last name and a copy of your certified marriage certificate (bascially same thing but I think they might require your current EAD to be sent to them but I don't remember exactly so ask a lawyer)

Q: And another twist... I already submitted my DACA app renewal months back. The renewal app does not reflect the name change because I was not married at the time and did not have the certificate (duh). I am really close to the 150 mark of my current EAD expiring and expect my renewal to be approved real soon. Is there anything I can do to make USCIS aware of my name change in time for them to update my renewal app before they generate the EAD?

A: Ouch. I doubt you can notify USCIS of the name change since your app is already in progress and they do not have a copy of your marriage certificate. I would imagine you need to resubmit and pay the fee again but please seek professional advice before resubmitting.

If you were wondering, all you have to do to change your new last name in the app is just complete the app as normal but include your new last name under the last name sections and include your old last name in the "other names" sections. Also attach a copy of your marriage certificate.

Hope this helps.

vft1008 11-15-2019 08:09 PM

^Thanks. I was afraid that was the case.

You are certain SS will need the updated EAD and won't just accept my marriage certificate with the name change reflected?

JJ Glo 11-15-2019 09:43 PM

Just go to the SSA and find out. I checked the SSA website and it doesnt specify whether you need an updated EAD or not. It simply states that you need your EAD to prove your status and the marriage certificate to prove the name change.

vft1008 11-15-2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ Glo (Post 743033)
Just go to the SSA and find out. I checked the SSA website and it doesnt specify whether you need an updated EAD or not. It simply states that you need your EAD to prove your status and the marriage certificate to prove the name change.

Gonna do it next week. Will report back on what happens. Thanks! :)

Dream becomes Reality 11-15-2019 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vft1008 (Post 743026)
^Thanks. I was afraid that was the case.

You are certain SS will need the updated EAD and won't just accept my marriage certificate with the name change reflected?

I disagree with the first response. When I got married in 2015 I had DACA at the time and I remember changing my name on my social security card the next week. I went with my marriage certificate, social security card and EAD. They processed it and gave me a receipt with no issues. I took the receipt to work and was able to update my last name at work.

We did not submit our AOS packet till 2 months later and I never changed my last name on my EAD. I just filled out my new last name for the AOS paperwork.

vft1008 11-16-2019 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dream becomes Reality (Post 743036)
I disagree with the first response. When I got married in 2015 I had DACA at the time and I remember changing my name on my social security card the next week. I went with my marriage certificate, social security card and EAD. They processed it and gave me a receipt with no issues. I took the receipt to work and was able to update my last name at work.

We did not submit our AOS packet till 2 months later and I never changed my last name on my EAD. I just filled out my new last name for the AOS paperwork.

Awesome. Very glad to hear. Thanks for your input.

I'm doing my AOS soon too and I want the name change to help support the legitimacy of my marriage.

Dream becomes Reality 11-16-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vft1008 (Post 743046)
Awesome. Very glad to hear. Thanks for your input.

I'm doing my AOS soon too and I want the name change to help support the legitimacy of my marriage.

Makes sense to me that's exactly why I did mine. When you get your new SS card you can use it at the RMV then when you get your new license you can use it at the bank to change the name on your account.

Another thing I did was change the name on my passport. It was still being processed when we went for our AOS interview. I remember the Interviewing Officer asked me for my passport and I told her that it was being processed by the embassy and she was happy about that.

Also keep in in mind for when you apply for Naturalization 2 yrs and 9 months from when you get your Green Card too. When I went for my Naturalization interview, I had to show all my passports (since arriving in the US) and the Immigration Officer mentioned that he could see that I changed the name on my most recent passport to my married last name.

Also apply for an AOS work permit too when you submit your AOS paperwork. It will have your married name.

Good luck on your journey and if you have any questions I will be happy to help.

vft1008 11-26-2019 01:49 PM

Update:
Went to the SS Office today. Prior to the visit, I filled out the Request SS card app which allows for a new card to be requested with updated info.

I met with the rep, gave her my application, current EAD (which does not show my new name), and my marriage certificate (showing my new name). She asked me a few questions, mainly verifying the info in the app. She processed what she needed on the computer and gave me a receipt with my new name reflected on it. She said I should get my new card within 10 days. Took less than 10 minutes.

A huge headache avoided! Thanks for your input, DBR and JJ!

Dream becomes Reality 11-26-2019 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vft1008 (Post 743279)
Update:
Went to the SS Office today. Prior to the visit, I filled out the Request SS card app which allows for a new card to be requested with updated info.

I met with the rep, gave her my application, current EAD (which does not show my new name), and my marriage certificate (showing my new name). She asked me a few questions, mainly verifying the info in the app. She processed what she needed on the computer and gave me a receipt with my new name reflected on it. She said I should get my new card within 10 days. Took less than 10 minutes.

A huge headache avoided! Thanks for your input, DBR and JJ!

You are welcome, happy to help!