DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Other Topics (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Any good books? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12320)

jothesh2 08-05-2009 02:37 PM

Any good books?

I been kinda bored lately since I have to save every bit of my money. So I wanted to get into reading. So I was wondering what are good books to read?

DreamBaybeh 08-05-2009 03:45 PM

Re: Any good books?

I read "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell, it was amazing. It's non-fiction, but it's still great. It tells different success stories, and... just a lot of things. It was really really good :D

drvenom 08-05-2009 04:05 PM

You might want to look into those free online courses from Yale Berkeley. Some of the reading material can be found online.

dreamerhippie 08-05-2009 04:07 PM

Erase / Rewind

Gateway89 08-05-2009 04:50 PM

YOU HAVE TO READ

MEN'S SEARCHING FOR MEANING by Victor Frankl

THE BEST!

Fish 08-05-2009 04:55 PM

Water for Elephants

hkk24 08-05-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gateway89 (Post 138345)
YOU HAVE TO READ

MEN'S SEARCHING FOR MEANING by Victor Frankl

THE BEST!

I completely agree with him!
That mook is great!

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte is REALLY good too!
A really easy, but good read is Grayson by Lynne Cox.

DreamerGirl717 08-05-2009 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamBaybeh (Post 138341)
I read "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell, it was amazing. It's non-fiction, but it's still great. It tells different success stories, and... just a lot of things. It was really really good :D

I've been wanting to read that for a while but never got around to doing so. I heard that "Blink", also by Malcolm Gladwell, is a great book too. Both of them are on my list of books to read :).

juang 08-05-2009 06:05 PM

I say go read Double Your Dating by David DeAngelo, that way you'll find girls and go out on dates or whatever instead of asking for advice on "good books" in an internet forum.

oh, and if you're a girl...

;-) Hey, my name is juang, how are you?

Are you single, pretty, funny, smart, without kids, and willing to support me financially?

jothesh2 08-05-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juang (Post 138352)
I say go read Double Your Dating by David DeAngelo, that way you'll find girls and go out on dates or whatever instead of asking for advice on "good books" in an internet forum.

Are you single, pretty, funny, smart, without kids, and willing to support me financially?

Why did you assume I need help with girls? I don't but thanks anyways. I used to be a man whore. (Yea ! youre not the only one DrVenom lol )

But Thanks everyone for the book advice. I will surely read all of them in time :)

drvenom 08-05-2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juang (Post 138352)

While I agree that some of the stuff that Deangelo and Mystery write about is true, most of the stuff that they write about is simply BS and marketing geared to sucker many for their hard earned money. I've read many of their books and most of them are filled with exaggerations and fallacies; it is amazing how they twist words from real scientific theories to come up with their fallacies. I've also hung out with a few of them and I was not impressed really...most of the time they talked about putting classes together and marketing strategies.

I'll admit that a person with their head screwed on right might be able to weed out the good stuff from the bad and get some useful techniques from their books, but otherwise it is a waste of money. I would much rather recommend something by Neil Strauss, like the game or rules of the game, as these books are less radical and more realistic in their approach to help men meet women.

daffodils 08-05-2009 07:24 PM

Anything by Bret Easton Ellis. Start with American Psycho.

If you want EBooks, PM me. I have pretty much anything you can think of.

drvenom 08-05-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daffodils (Post 138359)
Anything by Bret Easton Ellis. Start with American Psycho.

If you want EBooks, PM me. I have pretty much anything you can think of.

You little pirate! lol j/k do you have k-pax 4?

DreamBaybeh 08-05-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamerGirl717 (Post 138348)
I've been wanting to read that for a while but never got around to doing so. I heard that "Blink", also by Malcolm Gladwell, is a great book too. Both of them are on my list of books to read :).

Blink was great too, but I liked Outliers better. I haven't read The Tipping Point yet, but I think you should read Outliers first if you wanna read some Malcolm Gladwell.

jothesh2 08-05-2009 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamBaybeh (Post 138366)
Blink was great too, but I liked Outliers better. I haven't read The Tipping Point yet, but I think you should read Outliers first if you wanna read some Malcolm Gladwell.

I will do :)
sadly for the circumstance I currently am, it seems im going to have to go to texas for 1 year to work for my friends dad and earn money to go to school.
its ridiculous though cuz i only have to pay $300 for four classes. No one in my house wants to be my co signer for some loan so yeah..kinda suks

so yeah im going to be reading books a lot to waste some time on my free time...

DreamerGirl717 08-05-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jothesh2 (Post 138372)
so yeah im going to be reading books a lot to waste some time on my free time...

^^ Reading is a great way to kill time. And a it's a good distraction too, especially when you want to get your mind off things. You can never go wrong with reading. :)

juang 08-05-2009 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jothesh2 (Post 138353)
Why did you assume I need help with girls? I don't but thanks anyways. I used to be a man whore. (Yea ! youre not the only one DrVenom lol )

For once, a "man whore" doesn't really get bored (even if he is retied). But that's ok, I was just suggesting something for you to read. I didn't mean to insult you or insinuate something about you. And if you're offended by my suggestion, I sincerely extend an apology.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drvenom (Post 138354)
While I agree that some of the stuff that Deangelo and Mystery write about is true, most of the stuff that they write about is simply BS and marketing geared to sucker many for their hard earned money. I've read many of their books and most of them are filled with exaggerations and fallacies; it is amazing how they twist words from real scientific theories to come up with their fallacies. I've also hung out with a few of them and I was not impressed really...most of the time they talked about putting classes together and marketing strategies.

I'll admit that a person with their head screwed on right might be able to weed out the good stuff from the bad and get some useful techniques from their books, but otherwise it is a waste of money. I would much rather recommend something by Neil Strauss, like the game or rules of the game, as these books are less radical and more realistic in their approach to help men meet women.

I do agree DeAngelo's stuff has been marketed, but I have to say it is as far as you can get from BS. But who knows, maybe you're the type of guy who reads Neil Strauss and has "realistic success" while I read DeAngelo and I get "fantastic success", right? At the end we are both successful and that's all that really matters.

I've only read DeAngelo, and I don't know who Mystery is. However, there's no need to read or even investigate on Mystery's work because I've gotten so much success with DeAngelo's it is pointless now.

Now, lets not fight over the internet because only geeks with no life do so. Let's keep our cool. 8-) And keep on Fishing

jothesh2 08-06-2009 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juang (Post 138391)
For once, a "man whore" doesn't really get bored (even if he is retied). But that's ok, I was just suggesting something for you to read. I didn't mean to insult you or insinuate something about you. And if you're offended by my suggestion, I sincerely extend an apology.

haha dont be man. :)
I was not insulted. I know you meant no harm.

buckminsterfullerene 08-06-2009 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamerhippie (Post 138343)
Ishmael by Daniel Quinn is immensely thought provoking. also, The Jungle by Upton Sinclair actually managed to change law here in the US. Both books are personal favorites. =]

the jungle has been in my dusty list of books to read for a long time.

another book on there was freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner, was just not able to get it because it was always checked out from the library.

A lot of libraries are turning digital, you might be able to find some ebooks through them. Some even have movies and audiobooks to load, they are really starting to cater to lazy people lol.

You might also consider getting a magazine subscription in an area of your interest, could be beneficial for your future career as well.

earthling 08-07-2009 03:00 AM

Here are some books I have enjoyed:
Fight Club
Survivor
Invisible Monsters
-Any Chuck Palahniuk book is really a worthwhile read
-David Sedaris is a pretty funny author, Me Talk Pretty One Day is one of my favorites
-Hot, Flat and Crowded by Friedman is on my radar to read next

That's all I can think of at the top of my head for now....
Happy Reading!:-)

idreamofsophie 08-08-2009 03:21 PM

I Wish Someone Were Waiting For Me Somewhere by Anna Gavalda. its the story of 2 strangers meeting in paris, having dinner and like all kinds of sexual chemistry ;)

drvenom 08-08-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idreamofsophie (Post 138630)
I Wish Someone Were Waiting For Me Somewhere by Anna Gavalda. its the story of 2 strangers meeting in paris, having dinner and like all kinds of sexual chemistry ;)

That sounds exciting. Reminds me of the short story, pet milk.

jothesh2 08-09-2009 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drvenom (Post 138633)
That sounds exciting. Reminds me of the short story, pet milk.

Pet milk? :shock:
lol

Wow, I have like half a page of books to read.
Thank you guys! :-P

socaldreamer 08-09-2009 03:08 PM

Read Deception Point by Dan Brown. It's a very entertaining political thriller.

drvenom 08-09-2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jothesh2 (Post 138698)
Pet milk? :shock:
lol

Wow, I have like half a page of books to read.
Thank you guys! :-P

Pet milk is only a few pages, but it is a wonderful and romantic story. It is one of those stories that reminds you of a date that you might have had with someone that you really had the hots for.

veronika 08-11-2009 07:20 PM

mythology, its long and complicated, but really interesting. all the greek stuff is weird.

its summer reading
:P

CIR_DREAM2009 08-11-2009 08:36 PM

ummm

http://dentonlibrary.files.wordpress...05/johnson.jpg

Master of the Senate by Robert Caro about LBJ's time as Senator and as Senate Majority Leader :).

Gateway89 08-12-2009 12:06 AM

Twilight!

dreamerhippie 08-12-2009 12:12 AM

Erase / Rewind

Dreamer X 08-12-2009 12:23 AM

harry pottah!

really though those are fun to read!

if not Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy by douglas adams, it's sci-fi and damn hilarious XD

daffodils 08-12-2009 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gateway89 (Post 139210)
Twilight!

There is so much wrong with that one word answer.

drvenom 08-12-2009 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daffodils (Post 139216)
There is so much wrong with that one word answer.

I had to watch the movie Twilight like 10 times. I hated work that opening week. Horrible.

Fish 08-12-2009 02:50 AM

A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn.

Anything by Zinn WILL educate you and keep you interested. I guarantee. I'm not a big fan of reading big fat history books, but People's History is definitely worth it.

DeseoUnPoco 08-12-2009 03:48 AM

am i retarded for still reading Goosebumps?

buckminsterfullerene 08-12-2009 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeseoUnPoco (Post 139293)
am i retarded for still reading Goosebumps?

i was surprised when I learned I could not read them in elementary school because apparantely they are 2nd grade level books, that essentially contributed to killing my passion for reading. I say as long as you like it, its ok.

Any novel by Sir Arthur Coonan Doyle will be great, his short stories where not as epic but were still very good (there were just not as thorough as the novels) and the books basically taught me some nifty 50 cent words to use in my vocabulary in middle school. (for those that do not know, he wrote the sherlock holmes books, and was one of the most if not the most prolific and highest paid writer[s] ever).

2dreamORnot2dream 08-13-2009 02:17 AM

all I read lately is technical books either in relation to my job or books I need to read for school. I can't wait for the time when I can read some 'bullshit' book for the pure enjoyment of it.

ciscox3 08-13-2009 02:50 AM

http://web.mit.edu/tfbrady/books/feynman.jpg
http://www.jedigirl.com/www/cool_boo...chaos_book.gif
http://img.amazon.ca/images/I/41R1HT...500_AA240_.jpg

Personally, i prefer to read textbooks like Analog and Digital Control System Design, but these are some of my favorite non-textbooks i have had some extra time to read. The first book is about the life of the famous nobel prize winning physicist Richard Feynman, an enjoyable read. The second book talks about Chaos theory and its beginnings, and the third takes you into the mind of a genius, Albert Einstein.

yurchie 08-13-2009 05:39 AM

Here's a good list :)

1. Disgrace - J.M. Coetzee
2. Blindness - Jose Saramago
3. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami
4. The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
5. The Gangster We Are All Looking For - lê thi diem thúy
6. The Brief Wondrous Life of Osar Wao - Junot Diaz
7. White Noise - Don DeLillo
8. The Double - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
9. For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway
10. Love Medicine - Louise Erdrich
11. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - Dave Eggers
12. Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides
13. No Country for Old Men - Cormac McCarthy
14. Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
15. Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut

Swim19 08-13-2009 03:52 PM

If you don't mind reading Young Adult books, these are some I recommend:

Gone by Michael Grant
Hunger by Michael Grant

Uglies Series by Scott Westerfield

Artemis Fowl Series by Eoin Colfer

The Gatekeepers Series by Anthony Horowitz

hopefulintheshadows 08-18-2009 04:25 PM

I just finished "The Kite Runner" which I would recommend.
Yurchie, we have similar taste in novels; I've enjoyed Blindness and Crime and Punishment, am currently reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, and have For Whom The Bell Tolls on my list. I'll look into the others you mentioned.