DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Other Topics (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   USC Passports v. Foreign Passports (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=28513)

nydreamer 07-06-2012 09:42 PM

USC Passports v. Foreign Passports

Does anyone know how long does a USC have to wait to get their passports? My friend wants to visit Canada (NOT ME!) and he went to get his passport yesterday but they told him he won't have it in time to make his trip.

Now, if I remember correctly, I went and got my Dominican passport the very same day. Is it different for a USC than from those born abroad?

kikibay92 07-06-2012 10:27 PM

Re: USC Passports v. Foreign Passports

I waited two months for the Hong Kong passport and a month for the british passport. Because they have to ship my documents back and make the passports over there. You know the ones with the fancy biometric thingy, they also renewed my ID.

Biblio 07-06-2012 10:43 PM

My grandpa just got his passport card in the mail today. It took about two weeks. It was the passport card though, not the book. I don't know if times would vary.

MIdreamer 07-06-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikibay92 (Post 265746)
I waited two months for the Hong Kong passport and a month for the british passport. Because they have to ship my documents back and make the passports over there. You know the ones with the fancy biometric thingy, they also renewed my ID.

What's the difference between the two passport? I have the HKSAR one.

JohannBernoulli1667 07-06-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIdreamer (Post 265758)
What's the difference between the two passport? I have the HKSAR one.

Wait, so you have a passport from Britain but you cannot live in Britain, what a scam.

MIdreamer 07-06-2012 11:25 PM

Before 1997, most people in Hong Kong can get a British oversea passport. But after that everyone get a Hong Kong Chinese special region passport. Those passport are only good in Hong Kong, we can't live in neither Britain or China which is bullsh*t.

Ianus 07-07-2012 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nydreamer (Post 265739)
Does anyone know how long does a USC have to wait to get their passports? My friend wants to visit Canada (NOT ME!) and he went to get his passport yesterday but they told him he won't have it in time to make his trip.

Now, if I remember correctly, I went and got my Dominican passport the very same day. Is it different for a USC than from those born abroad?

Why does he require a passport to visit Canada?Unless it is by AIR a Birth Certificate and Driver's license would be more than suffice if driving across.

The typical timeline for a US passport is 2-4 weeks.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MIdreamer (Post 265765)
Before 1997, most people in Hong Kong can get a British oversea passport. But after that everyone get a Hong Kong Chinese special region passport. Those passport are only good in Hong Kong, we can't live in neither Britain or China which is bullsh*t.

Le sigh....,I remember when I was desperate looking at the UK as option a while back thinking Commonwealth nationality meant something.What BS that turned out to be if you don't have a parent that has "Right of Abode" you're out of luck.

MIdreamer 07-07-2012 03:02 AM

Quote:

Le sigh....,I remember when I was desperate looking at the UK as option a while back thinking Commonwealth nationality meant something.What BS that turned out to be if you don't have a parent that has "Right of Abode" you're out of luck.
What's your country of birth?

nydreamer 07-07-2012 11:44 AM

Thanks everyone.

Now what I find odd is that everyone is reporting a certain waiting period before you get the passports. How come I got it the very same day? Hmmm

S4l 07-07-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nydreamer (Post 265821)
Thanks everyone.

Now what I find odd is that everyone is reporting a certain waiting period before you get the passports. How come I got it the very same day? Hmmm

it depends on many factors to manufacture a passport. Whether or not passports are bio metric, pre-made or if they must verify any additional information.