DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Green Card Approved and in my hand!!.. now what? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=84037)

Dreamer786 12-05-2019 02:25 AM

Green Card Approved and in my hand!!.. now what?

So, us dreamers obviously have a restricted social security card. Saying “Valid for work only with DHS authorization.” I did some research and found out that’s one of the first things we should get updated right after getting your green card. When updating your Social Security Card to an unrestricted one, does our social security number stay the same? I’m pretty positive it doesn’t but just want to know for sure.

And also, after updating my SSC, I’m thinking of updating my drivers license as well which says limited term, and is set to expire sometime late next year. Is it worth paying the license fees and updating it even though it won’t be expiring for almost a year from now?

And are there any other things that I should be getting updated or anything that we should apply for or whatever now that I have my green card?

Jsonkim88 12-05-2019 11:20 AM

Re: Green Card Approved and in my hand!!.. now what?

I'd say definitely update the DL since having "Real ID" you won't need to carry around your passport for domestic flights. Your license term will now be like 5+ years, instead of 2 years. Also, your SSC number will stay the same unless you had identity theft. If for some reason, you had a change in SSC, any license or credit cards, etc. you'll need to update those. That's a headache.

Anyways, congrats on getting your GC!

Pianoswithoutfaith 12-05-2019 01:34 PM

I don’t think you need to do anything regarding your ssc

Having a green card also means you’re DHS authorized

NotADreamerPerSe 12-05-2019 01:50 PM

I literally went through this two days ago. You do have to go to the SS office and update your immigration status to remove the restriction. Your number will stay the same. I wish I could have changed mine cause my SS card was stolen years ago, but it's really hard (gotta bring police report, proof that it's being used by someone else and affecting you negatively, etc.)

Dream becomes Reality 12-06-2019 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamer786 (Post 743389)
So, us dreamers obviously have a restricted social security card. Saying “Valid for work only with DHS authorization.” I did some research and found out that’s one of the first things we should get updated right after getting your green card. When updating your Social Security Card to an unrestricted one, does our social security number stay the same? I’m pretty positive it doesn’t but just want to know for sure.

And also, after updating my SSC, I’m thinking of updating my drivers license as well which says limited term, and is set to expire sometime late next year. Is it worth paying the license fees and updating it even though it won’t be expiring for almost a year from now?

And are there any other things that I should be getting updated or anything that we should apply for or whatever now that I have my green card?

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm happy to see more and more Dreamers becoming legalized. Yes please go and update your card at the social security office to remove that statement on your card.

Updating your information also allows them to keep track of your status and benefits you may qualify for as well. I would also suggests changing the IDs as well.

JJ Glo 12-06-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianoswithoutfaith (Post 743394)
I don’t think you need to do anything regarding your ssc

Having a green card also means you’re DHS authorized

You most definately do.

You must update your status with SSA. You will be given a new Social Security card without the work restriction on it. Your social security number will remain the same for life unless your life is in danger and you have to go into hiding or something extreme to that nature.

DACA-IR-DA 12-07-2019 09:47 AM

I updated my SS Card right after I got my EAD based on AOS from 'NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT' to 'VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION'. However, I still have not updated to the unrestricted one since DHS error had my birth year incorrect on my GC. Still waiting on I-90 to get approved. For DL, you need a REAL ID so I would update it. SSN always stays the same.