DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   My sister (dreamer t00) is 6 mos pregnant and hasnt seen a doctor I need advice (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=19339)

FloridaRod 12-22-2010 06:14 PM

My sister (dreamer t00) is 6 mos pregnant and hasnt seen a doctor I need advice

Oaky, I know that sounds really bad. Shes married and in her 20s. When she first got pregnant she went to some sort of free clinic and confirmed the pregnancy and gestation. As far as the rest of us knew she was going to her regular monthly doctor appts. I asked her the other day when she was going to find out the sex of the baby and that is when she told me she never went back to the doctor. I was like, WTF?? Are you crazy?" That is when she told me that they had requested that she bring a Florida ID, birth certificate and SS Card with her to her next appt. She said she got scared so she never went back. I told her she cant just go through he whole pregnancy without seeing a doctor. Its not safe for her or the kid and she cant just show up in labor at a hospital and then explain why she didnt see a doctor throughout her pregnancy either. They could call Social Services on her. Anyway my big question is does anyone know if there is pregnancy help for dreamers in Florida? Thanks

jtcomander 12-22-2010 06:56 PM

Re: My sister (dreamer t00) is 6 mos pregnant and hasnt seen a doctor I need advice

i KNOW A LOT of people HERE IN CALIFORNIA that doesn't have ssn,they manufacture like factories(jk:)seriously,go to a hospital where they don't inquire anything.Like here,harbor,ucla hosp.Social svc just ask them,"do u haveSSN?".They just answer "no".that's it,they're automatically put into indigent citizens.No other questions asked.That's the time they are abt to go to labor(mind u..scoffs:p)

Ali 12-22-2010 07:07 PM

Re: My sister (dreamer t00) is 6 mos pregnant and hasnt seen a doctor I need advice

i'd say marry the guy that made her the kid, not out of love obviously, but so she'll be able to provide for the kid once she gains residency (unless the guy's also a ]n illegal or she jumped the fence).

i guess that didn't answer the question did it?

FloridaRod 12-22-2010 07:24 PM

Ali, she is married. They have been together since high school and they have been married for two years. Hes American, but that doesnt make any difference. Dreamers cant get papers based on marriage. That ended in 2002. My wife and I (American) have been married for 8 years and I still cant get documented. Marriage doesnt help dreamers- if it did all of us would be married and not worried about passing the DREAM Act. lol ...

h3wlett 12-22-2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaRod (Post 201917)
Ali, she is married. They have been together since high school and they have been married for two years. Hes American, but that doesnt make any difference. Dreamers cant get papers based on marriage. That ended in 2002. My wife and I (American) have been married for 8 years and I still cant get documented. Marriage doesnt help dreamers- if it did all of us would be married and not worried about passing the DREAM Act. lol ...

Wrong.

FloridaRod 12-22-2010 07:37 PM

H3wlett, enlighten me.. As far as I know (and I have spoken with plenty of lawyers) marriage doesnt fix this. In 2002 the marriage waiver ended. If you entered illegally it no longer applied. They only way for my wife to petition and then they can send me back to Brasil and wait. That can take 10 years.

kbs111 12-22-2010 07:52 PM

Can't you waive the 10 year ban if you can prove extreme hardship? And apply for a K1 visa?

kbs111 12-22-2010 07:53 PM

Also, I think Hewlett means the DREAMers who were inspected before coming here, tourist visa etc. Those can adjust their status automatically if they marry.

prettyjolie 12-22-2010 08:02 PM

FloridaROD, I don't know what crappy, incompetent lawyers you spoke to, but that's not true. There is no marriage waiver that ended in 2002.

It does not matter if you entered legally with a visa or entered illegally. If you are married to a citizen (or even a permanent resident), they can petition you. If you entered legally, the process is much simpler and can be done in the US. If you entered without inspection (illegally), you do have to go back to your country (unless you are covered by 245i, which means someone petitioned you prior to April 2001) to adjust your status. It doesn't necessary take ten years. Yes, you do get banned for ten years, but the ban can be waived through the 601 waiver that your spouse would file for you. You would not be eligible to waive the ten year ban if youve entered without inspection more than once (any entries before 1997 don't count). There are a few other reasons why you might not be eligible to waive the ten year ban. But if you've only entered once, have no criminal record, and you're in a legitimate marriage, you are most likely eligible for the 601 waiver.

My husband petitioned me and I became a legal resident June of this year. I entered illegally in 97. Yes, I had to go back to Mexico, but my husband filed the 601 waiver and I was approved.

I cannot believe you've been married so long, and youre still undocumented! If your suppose had petitioned you years ago, you'd probably be a citizen now. Do some research on the waiver process for your country, and have your wife petition you as soon as possible.

About you sister.. Do you live in FL? I know a lot of people go to clinics and they get medical care for free. Yes, they're getting more strict, but your sister needs to find another clinic. Her baby's life is on the line. At least have her go to the emergency room. They can't deny her medical care there, and they may be able to tell her where she can go to have regular check ups.

10dream 12-22-2010 08:06 PM

it is imperative that you're sister seek prenatal care. both her health and that of her baby can be jeopardize due to inadequate prenatal care. freemedicalcamps.com offers listings of free and affordable clinics your sister can visit. not having prenatal care is not considered a form of neglect or abuse so you should not worry about her getting in trouble over that. convince her to seek care it is really important that she receive care.