DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   2010 Elections: Implications for Immigration Reform (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17373)

2Face 11-03-2010 05:01 PM

2010 Elections: Implications for Immigration Reform

http://www.americasquarterly.org/node/1975

This is just a blog article but it pretty much summarizes the fate of Immigration Reform in the coming years under a Republican controlled House. If Dream Act passes during lame duck session, what about our parents and family members who aren't eligible under Dream Act who have to adjust their status as well? The fact is that the chances of CIR look grim in this Republican controlled House. It also seems highly unlikely that Dems will be able to pass CIR during a lame duck session which has been stuffed with over 20 important bills. Discuss.

Feenmi 11-03-2010 05:25 PM

Re: 2010 Elections: Implications for Immigration Reform

Uh, nothing to discuss. No cir/da (if it doesn't pass) till after 2012. Lamar Smith is more than likely gonna be in charge of the committee in the Hose.

Abaddon 11-03-2010 06:08 PM

Obama made mention to reapealing DADT in the lame duck, according to today's news conference. I believe they will do so when the DADT report comes out at the beginning of December.

DA User 11-03-2010 07:46 PM

Right now, our main goal should be Dream Act in the lame-duck session. Either stand-alone or with an attachment.

Ali 11-03-2010 10:01 PM

blogs don't belong in the news section....

i'm just sayin

gebodupa 11-04-2010 12:39 AM

Quote:

If Dream Act passes during lame duck session, what about our parents and family members who aren't eligible under Dream Act who have to adjust their status as well?
Call me selfish or whatever, at this point in my life I don't really care, but our parents were adults when they made the decision to come to this country and should be able to live with the consequences. Most of them(and us) came here in the 90s when adjusting status was way way easier, some of them got 245i but were too incompetent to properly take advantage of it. Hell they can become politically active too and try to do something to advance their own cause.

I doubt any of them feared for their lives; hell the situation in Mexico now is way worse than it was back in the day. They came here because they wanted a better life, and as adults they should have tried to provide that for themselves.

While I would want CIR for my family, this is a Dream Act forum after all. I don't consider myself an immigration activist, but a DA activist and my first and foremost concern is the passing of the Dream Act. It is fine to support CIR and Dream Act, because up until recently they were meant to be part of one reform bill, but you have to be realistic and realize that CIR has no chance of passing for some time and any energy spent on advancing it could be much better spent on getting DA on the Senate floor

We have a tiny window of opportunity for DA and the fact that people are still mentioning CIR literally makes my skin crawl. Dems weren't able to do it with a supermajority in the House and 1 short of supermajority in the Senate. What makes you think that in this session of Congress we're gonna do any better.

lighter 11-04-2010 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Face (Post 181080)
http://www.americasquarterly.org/node/1975

This is just a blog article but it pretty much summarizes the fate of Immigration Reform in the coming years under a Republican controlled House. If Dream Act passes during lame duck session, what about our parents and family members who aren't eligible under Dream Act who have to adjust their status as well? The fact is that the chances of CIR look grim in this Republican controlled House. It also seems highly unlikely that Dems will be able to pass CIR during a lame duck session which has been stuffed with over 20 important bills. Discuss.

Dream is all that matters. We can sponsor our parents when we get status, so I wouldn't hinge my hopes on CIR. It's harder to pass CIR than Dream.

That's the plan for my family... My mom says she doesn't care about CIR anymore but she only cares if Dream passes. It's gonna take a while, but we WILL be able to sponsor our parents eventually so I think CIR doesn't need to pass for me if DREAM passes. Sounds selfish, I know. But I'm only concerned with getting legalized at this point, and then try to do something as a legal citizen to help with CIR in the years to come. Cuz let's face it. CIR is doomed for the next two years because of the friggin' House.

solidsnake 11-04-2010 04:40 AM

My parents would gladly leave America and return to their home country to be with their grand kids and relatives and live out their twilight years in peace. They only stay to make sure I have some sort of legal status because they worry about me being here illegally with no work permit. I spent a lot time and money becoming a Paramedic and now I can't even practice being one. If people in this country say worry about americans first, then in reference to immigration laws, worry about the unofficial americans who grew up as Americans like us first then the other immigrants who only have been here for a short time or later in their life afterwards

buckminsterfullerene 11-05-2010 11:55 PM

Here is my position on this, the DA passes, 2 million of us come out of the shadows and gain the ability to organize without fear. A plane-bus-train ticket to DC is not that expensive and a demonstration with just a percentage of us would seem epic but feasible. We have a large number of success stories within our ranks and will gain even more with time, all of that could serve as tools to change the paranoia people are currently feeling about immigrants not being capable to contribute to society.

Its my point of view that dreamers on the path to legality could serve as the best chance for the CIR to pass in the future.

cooltalker 11-06-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lighter (Post 181173)
CIR is doomed for the next two years because of the friggin' House.

The senate is also a problem because there are 53 Democrats (112th congress) and we need 60 to overcome a filibuster! (The Republicans will always filibuster anything these days). Plus there are Democrats who oppose the Dream Act.