DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Taking Greyhound from austin to Los Angeles (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12245)

jo121jo 07-28-2009 02:15 AM

Taking Greyhound from austin to Los Angeles

are there any problem with that?

A while ago, I asked if I can fly to LA from Austin, but I don't want to risk myself too much, so I was thinking about driving there with my cousin, who is legal, but someone suggested me that I can take GreyHound to get to LA.

Do any of you guys know about that?
I heard there is really really small possibility that we can be stop at check point around El paso area(on the way back to Austin from LA) and be searched....

and another question is... in order to get a ticket for greyhound.. do we need an id for that?

also, one really big question...

do we get stop and be searched at the El Paso????

Thanks alot...

Please answer this post.. really urgent matter.... :(

p.s.
oh, by the way, I'm an asian, looking not that dangerous.. haha

bonescones 07-28-2009 02:30 AM

Re: Taking Greyhound from austin to Los Angeles

I took the greyhound from LA to San Francisco by myself when I was like 14 and then again a year later. Didn't have any problems, but don't know anything about Texas.

buckminsterfullerene 07-28-2009 12:54 PM

I don't know what is the risk that everyone keeps on talking about in airports, its not an international flight so the only check one goes through is one that verifies the information on your passport with the ticket, and one where you pass through a metal detector, that is it before getting on the plane, i do it 4 times a year every year.

and like you said, you are asian, not dangerous looking so why would they put you asside, I never even saw that happen in the several times I have flown, and I fly from the big airports, basically MIA and O'hare.

as for the greyhound, there is a past thread that seemed to mention a lot of bad news with those services and checks actually occurring with people traveling within the united states, which is why i never took that even when it was the cheapest option by a very large margin during spring break (apparently people like to come down to miami during that time).

Vinter 07-28-2009 03:06 PM

A BIG NO NO NO NO NO NO. I have made a trip twice and there will be a checkpoint.

jo121jo 07-28-2009 04:58 PM

ummm
check point for what??
immigration issues or other things?

jo121jo 07-28-2009 06:00 PM

what about going to Los Angeles from Dallas??

it does not pass El Paso... or any of the border cities..

hope4me 07-28-2009 07:42 PM

You will most likely encounter two immigration check points if you are traveling from Austin to LA and LA to Austin. There is one in New Mexico, about an hour away from El Paso(on the way to california), and there is another one within Texas. I think it's in Sierra Blanca. It's probably two hours, maybe, outside of el paso. I don't know if they will stop to search and ask ID from a whole bus. I have never taken those trips. I do wish you the best of luck. Try to stay away from major border cities cause there are checkpoints outside of those cities.

hkk24 08-09-2009 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hope4me (Post 137662)
You will most likely encounter two immigration check points if you are traveling from Austin to LA and LA to Austin. There is one in New Mexico, about an hour away from El Paso(on the way to california), and there is another one within Texas. I think it's in Sierra Blanca. It's probably two hours, maybe, outside of el paso. I don't know if they will stop to search and ask ID from a whole bus. I have never taken those trips. I do wish you the best of luck. Try to stay away from major border cities cause there are checkpoints outside of those cities.

They definitely do stop you if you pass near El Paso and they WILL get on the bus and ask for some kind of ID.