DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Taking Action (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The Current State of DAP (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=9800)

originalgabe 02-25-2009 02:01 AM

The Current State of DAP

OK. So i will probably get banned for this, as it seems to be whats been going on, but this needs to be said.

I joined DAP in Sept 2008. I know Im a relative newbie. But when i found the site it was such a relief and such an asset, with a wealth of information and an effective way of coordinating our efforts.

However, it seems that we have gotten complacent. And the Discussion has moved from DREAM Act centered topics, to things that one would find on MYspace bulletin boards.

Now, dont get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with socializing with each other and finding camaraderie in one another. But FRIENDSHIP and LAUGHS are NOT our main objective here.

That is the passage of the DREAM ACT.

Now i find out that one of the most helpful members has been banned from here (Quaker), for reasons that seem mind boggling. Quaker along with some others belongs to a widely connected group of individuals that are going above and beyond to help co-ordinate the efforts to pass DREAM.

His Banning is Unacceptable. It is unacceptable that threads about picking up girls have gone on for months, Videos of music are posted up almost weekly, and yet people who actually are contributing to something that would benefit ALL of US are being banned.

We NEED to FOCUS on the main GOAL.

Passing the DREAM act is crucial. The time for jokes is not now.

negrita_028 02-25-2009 02:12 AM

Re: The Current State of DAP

if anyone finds this harsh, im sorry.
but i agree with originalgabe. i admit that i too have gotten deviated from taking any action in the dream act however, we need to take action now more then ever. march is just around the corner and we can not be wasting time. there are only a limited amount of people who are active in persuing our main goal, and i plan to leave the foolishness behind and follow their example.
"prosperity is just around the corner" but we cannot leave everything to the few taking action and to the senators. we also need to collaborate.

String 02-25-2009 02:40 AM

Ditto on all points, how quaker can get banned out of all people is beyond mind boggling. I, and I'm sure the rest of the community has expected more from you Nick. There are only so many people here who are actually working towards dream, and to deny them access to at least some percentage of people who can make a difference is beyond petty. Yeah, DAP is your baby, yeah you have worked on it for countless of hours, but if you can't take some simple criticism without going ban trigger happy how exactly are you going to attract talent to your site?

juang 02-25-2009 03:01 AM

ok ok people, calm down.

Everone here is wants the DREAM Act to pass now. We need to focus? Yes, but don't complain about "music videos being posted weekly" and such.

There is only so much we can do as individuals. Some people here can't do much more than just write letters to senators and representatives.

Yes, DAP's goal is to get the DREAM Act enacted, but one of the side goals of this side has always been that of providing a safe, and friendly environment where the "DREAM Act comunity" can interact.

Originalgabe, what do you have in mind? what would you want us to do as a community to pass the DREAM Act?

We all can do more, but sometimes the problem is finding the time to do it. At least that in my personal case.

MariaG1987 02-25-2009 03:05 AM

I completely agree with everyone here. Quaker is one of the few people on here who are actually working EVERY DAY for the Dream Act. I think banning him was completely unacceptable. What we need here is people who are active and who can inform others of the projects that are going on, especially with Dreamactivist; not people who are content sitting around typing nonsense and doing nothing. How can we be organized and prepared when the time comes to push for Dream (which is now, really) when one of our main active members has been banned?

juang 02-25-2009 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MariaG1987 (Post 119983)
. How can we be organized and prepared when the time comes to push for Dream (which is now, really) when one of our main active members has been banned?

right now is not the right time to push for DREAM. Economy first, everything else later, remember?

plus, noone really knows why he was banned. At least not me, and I don't really care, I know that if the DAP administration did it, it was because it had a really good reason

MariaG1987 02-25-2009 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juang (Post 119985)
right now is not the right time to push for DREAM. Economy first, everything else later, remember?

plus, noone really knows why he was banned. At least not me, and I don't really care, I know that if the DAP administration did it, it was because it had a really good reason

You do realize that the economy will remain a priority in 2009 and probably 2010, right? Do you want us to wait until it starts recovering to do something? Because we're going to be waiting a long while if we do.

Right now is the time to get organized and participate in projects, get involved so that when Dream is introduced, we are ready. Do you check Dreamactivist often? Have you signed the petition? Have you participated in the postcard campaign? Have you volunteered for the weekly Dream story on the immigration blog on change.org?

Don't tell me you don't have time to be more involved when you obviously have time to post on threads made to provide a "safe" and "friendly environment" for the Dream community.

Jose313 02-25-2009 03:38 AM

Could i ask why he got banned? Someone PM me

EverElevate 02-25-2009 03:53 AM

Quote:

There is only so much we can do as individuals. Some people here can't do much more than just write letters to senators and representatives.

Before we start talking about ambitious rallies and meetings, the basics must be done. Please dont belittle contacting the senators.

Quote:

just like everything else in life, if you dawdle, you fail.

A.Spero 02-25-2009 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 44621)
I am SERIOUSLY sick of CoSA. I am going to stop visiting it once I make the address of this site public. And I am thinking of not even linking there. Why? Because they talk about the same crap day in day out, nothign ever gets done, half of the posts are by Inquisitor and I honestly cant decypher those. Here is a tip for Inquisitor minded, the first letter of a sentence is CAPITAL!! Here's another, moving your thoughts directly to paper will result in giberish that only you can understand.

Now all this is moderately bareable, but what I hate the most is the fact that its the same 10-20 people conversing. There are no new members, there is no promotion of the website (I think the most attention that site gets is over at ALIPAC), there is no change!

Now I plan to make this a site that actually accomplishes something. On that note I will make significant changes to the rules, and I do mean significant and post them as a global announcement across all forums. Once I finish with the technical details of this site's "upbrining" process, I will personally enforce every single rule and I will make sure that there is no confusion about what goes on this site and where. I am sick of the lack of organization and uselessness of CoSA and this site is not and will not be CoSA number two.

Well to that I say congratulations...

http://www.postimage.org/aV9Hx5i.jpg

DAP has a staled front page that reads: "The DREAM Act is a bill introduced in the United States Senate in November of 2005 by Senator Richard Durbin that will solve this growing problem. Now boasting 20 cosponsors..."

Kind of reminds me of another site that had DREAM on their front page reading back to 2003 as their current update. Irony at it's finest when that same site now links to DAP.

In addition, the reins of the administration was handed over to someone now AWOL. More "DAP TEAM MEMBERS" were added, yet to me it seems that less moderation has been enforced than when there were only a couple of moderators. (No offense to the mods, busy with life, I understand). The forum has run a muck with repetitive threads on discourse dealing with subjects off topic to progressing activism. I understand that it is necessary and important to address topics unrelated to the DREAM Act, yet that also begs the question on what the primary function of this site was intended for.

Instead of criticizing outside venues that actually help progress and build a coalition promoting the DREAM ACT (yes blogs, networking sites, utilizing the internet as a powerful tool, etc.), and doubting as well as being so pessimistic about any movement or news about the legislation (yes, the information handed direct from close insiders), why not actually build momentum on that news and be a part of the change that's been tiredly promised over and again.

Can't take the criticism? Can't take it that I did it so openly? Well go ahead, ban me. Because THIS is an example of something that deserves a ban. Not some minor dissent that Quaker had voiced quietly. He was one of the handful of members that took the time to inform other members of active, on-going projects dealing specifically with the DREAM Act as well as answer questions to topics indirectly related to DREAM.

But by all means, Ban away.