DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Bad News (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=69268)

tusol17 10-21-2014 01:00 PM

Bad News

Hello everyone! I decided to tell you guys my story and I hope to get some feedback or any information on the topic. So last Sunday I was arrested for DUI, and Driving w just a permit. As you all know this news kill you if you are in the status we are on. I cried I got angry at myself. I know its my fault for making a stupid careless mistake.
I had just sent my renewal last week. Do you guys think I have any hope?
I'm already searching for lawyers to help me. I'm really destroyed guys but please give me honest answers and what i should expect from now on.
Thanks

Pianoswithoutfaith 10-21-2014 01:56 PM

Re: Bad News

Chances are you will not be approved, DUI is pretty serious and youll be the first person renewing with a DUI that ive know off.

You should also fee bad for driving under the influence and chances you WILL do it again, if you are approved for renewal.

2Face 10-21-2014 02:07 PM

If that DUI is officially recorded in your records, not sure what the process is called, you will be ineligible for DACA. Like many have said DUI is absolutely not tolerated. On a personal note, hope you realize you have been given a second life. Don't drink and drive again.

Kari096 10-21-2014 05:32 PM

I understand the hesitance in sharing your story. It sucks because we are held to a higher standard than citizens are--that's understandable in some ways, but not really because we are just people. People make mistakes. I am not sure what that will do for your DACA renewal. My advice is to seek a lawyer as soon as possible. I am not sure what state you're located in but sometimes local law enforcement report these arrest to immigration, so that would be a concern of mine.

IamAman 10-21-2014 06:01 PM

Getting arrested for a DUI is not the same as being convicted of a DUI. Get the best lawyer you can get who is familiar with immigration law and do everything you can to keep it from going on your record.

Kari096 10-21-2014 06:02 PM

for daca do they consider the arrest or the conviction?

IamAman 10-21-2014 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kari096 (Post 543881)
for daca do they consider the arrest or the conviction?

I'm not sure, but I know when my sister was taking her citizenship interview, they even wanted to know if she ever had a traffic ticket.

david87 10-21-2014 07:30 PM

Damn dude, I am sorry to hear that. I can't judge you for that I have done stupid shit in the past myself, we all make mistakes. As for the DACA, if you're lucky and they already approved the renewal then they won't see the arrest until the next time you renew (if they do it again). Also, you need to find an experienced lawyer who can possibly bring your DUI charge down to something less (maybe). You will definitely need a law expert on this one. Good luck!

kelsy 10-21-2014 08:33 PM

Wish you good luck, but please don't drink and drive. My family and I are going through a horrible situation because a drunk driver hit my uncle. It's been two months, and things are still not better.

tusol17 10-21-2014 09:30 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I do realize the danger I put myself on, the danger I put to others. A lesson I will take w all my life. Based on what I heard from lawyers DACA looks at convictions. They told me my best bet is to fight to get it down to reckless driving at court. With the help of a lawyer that would cost me thousands. It's a hard price to pay guys. I know we are all young and might get in this type of situations. Pls learn from my mistake. Even if u think ur good. Get DD's ALWAYS. To make things more bitter sweet I just received an email from USCIS saying my DACA is in initial review.