DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Taking Action (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The Senator of the Week: Mega Thread - Build up Cosponsors. (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=10769)

questionsihave 05-12-2009 08:50 PM

The Senator of the Week: Mega Thread - Build up Cosponsors.

Senator of the Week: Mega Thread

Current Cosponsor count:

Senate: 40 - http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:s.00729: / 60

House: 124 - http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:h.r.01751: / 235

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to get to 60 votes? The calculations I did at the beginning of the year, but forgot to post it then. Made a few changes since then. Also, I am a big political junkie, so I didn't just pull this list out of the air.

Senators Status:

- Possible 60 Senators (Bolded are critical. They should support it since they have in the past, but we will see.)

1. Akaka (D-HI) - Cosponsor
2. Bayh (D-IN)
3. Ousted (R-UT)
4. Bingaman (D-NM) - Cosponsor
5. Brown (D-OH) - Cosponsor
6. Brownback (R-KS)
7. Cantwell (D-WA) - Cosponsor
8. Cardin (D-MD) - Cosponsor
9. Carper (D-DE) - Cosponsor
10. Casey (D-PA) - Cosponsor
11. Collins (R-ME)
12. Durbin (D-IL) - Chief Sponsor
13. Feingold (D-WI) - Cosponsor
14. Feinstein (D-CA) - Cosponsor
15. Harkin (D-IA) - Cosponsor
16. Hatch (R-UT)
17. Hutchison (R-TX)
18. Inouye (D-HI) - Cospsonor
19. Johnson (D-SD) - Cosponsor
20. Kerry (D-MA) - Cosponsor
21. Klobuchar (D-MN)
22. Kohl (D-WI) - Cosponsor
23. Lautenberg (D-NJ) - Cosponsor
24. Leahy (D-VT) - Cosponsor
25. Levin (D-MI) - Cosponsor
26. Lieberman (ID-CT) - Cosponsor
[b]27. Lincoln (D-AR) - Cosponsor (Surprise)
28. Lugar (R-IN) - Cosponsor
29. Martinez (R-FL) - Cosponsor
30. Menendez (D-NJ) - Cosponsor
31. Mikulski (D-MD) - Cosponsor
32. Murray (D-WA) - Cosponsor
33. Nelson (D-FL) - Cosponsor
34. Nelson (D-NE)
35. Reed (D-RI) - Cosponsor
36. Reid (D-NV) - Cosponsor
37. Rockefeller (D-WV)
38. Sanders (I-VT) - Cosponsor
39. Schumer (D-NY) - Cosponsor
40. Snowe (R-ME)
41. Stabenow (D-MI)
42. Webb (D-VA),
43. Whitehouse (D-RI) - Cosponsor
44. Wyden (D-OR)
45. Boxer (D-CA) - Cosponsor
46. Dodd (D-CT) - Cosponsor
47. Kennedy (D-MA) - Cosponsor
48. McCain (R-AZ)
49. Burris (D-IL) - Cosponsor
50. Shaheen (D-NH)
51. Merkley (D-OR) - Cosponsor
52. Udall (D-NM)
53. Udall (D-CO) - Cosponsor
54. Bennet (D-CO) - Cosponsor
55. Gilibrand (D-NY) - Cosponsor
56. Kaufman (D-DE) - Cosponsor
57. Franken (D-MN) - Cosponsor
58. Begich (D-AK)
59. McCaskill (D-MO)
60. Specter (D-PA) - [Cosponsor
61. Crapo (R-ID) - He has cosponsored it many times, even in 2007. Why doesn't he vote for it? Reports this year say he is leaning towards supporting it.

62. Dorgan (D-ND) - Retiring this year. May vote if only a one more vote is needed.

- Who knows about these guys. Some of them could turn out to be supporters, especially the bolded.

17. Ensign (R-NV) - Read his statement below. Pretty supportive.
35. Thune (R-SD) - Has been moving towards McCain's position.
28. Murkowski (R-AK) - Kind of a moderate
29. Pryor (D-AR) - Not in reelection year
25. Landrieu (D-LA) - Not in a reelection year.
19. Graham (R-SC) - Supports CIR
37. Voinovich (R-OH) - Moderate Republican. Retiring from the senate next year.
21. Gregg (R-NH) - Moderate Republican
3. Baucus (D-MT) - Err...

- Unlikely

58. Hagan (D-NC)
60. Warner (D-VA)
1. Alexander (R-TN)
2. Barrasso (R-WY)
4. Bond (R-MO)
5. Bunning (R-KY)
6. Burr (R-NC)
7. Byrd (D-WV)
8. Chambliss (R-GA)
9. Coburn (R-OK)
10. Cochran (R-MS)
11. Conrad (D-ND)
12. Corker (R-TN)
13. Cornyn (R-TX)
15. DeMint (R-SC)
18. Enzi (R-WY)
20. Grassley (R-IA)
22. Inhofe (R-OK)
23. Isakson (R-GA)
24. Kyl (R-AZ) - Seems to support CIR
27. McConnell (R-KY)
30. Roberts (R-KS)
31. Sessions (R-AL)
32. Shelby (R-AL)
34. Tester (D-MT)
36. Vitter (R-LA)
38. Risch (R-ID)
39. Johanns (R-NE)
40. Wicker (R-MS)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you haven't contacted your representative yet, you probably should.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Information

Emailing Senators.

You need to use a zipcode from their state, or they wont care since you aren't their constituent. I will provide a zipcode with each senator. I will also provide a city to put in for the address and city section. I will not give specific addresses to be used.

Calling Senators.

If you haven't started calling, I am not sure what you are waiting for. The do not speak with the actual senator, but their staff. The staff is usually nice, so there isn't anything to be scared of. They do ask for a zipcode. You should use the one provided, because some staff members only care about call from their constituents.

Faxing Senators.

Again, also very easy. I have provided below links to send faxes for free if you do not have a fax machine. This will allow 8 faxes per day. Please use them when you can.

8 Free faxes per day.

You are allowed two free faxes per day a the link below.

http://faxzero.com

You can get another two with the link below:

http://www.GotFreeFax.com

http://www.freefaxbutton.com/

http://faxorama.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Local Newspapers

- To be announced

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Umbrellas and Elephants 05-12-2009 09:01 PM

Re: The Senator of the Week: Mega Thread - Build up Cosponsors.

Sounds good, Burris is officially my homeboy! :)

lets keep this moving, this is our freedom we're fighting for!

Ianus 05-12-2009 09:30 PM

I'd suggest we target the Senators that some anti-immigrant groups are targeting for at least this week.We cannot have shaky support amongst Senators whom are on the fence & could be possible supporters.

Senator Blanche Lambert Lincoln (D- AR)
202-224-4843 Fax: 202-228-1371

Senator Mark Pryor (D- AR)
202-224-2353 Fax: 202-228-0908

FHL 05-13-2009 04:44 PM

Is calling more effective than sending a letter or postcard? I've been making and sending 4 X 6 postcards to "on the fence" Senators. :) By the way, now we have 54 co-sponsors in the house!

questionsihave 05-15-2009 09:31 AM

- Senator Position: Sen. Ensign

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act (S. 729). I am grateful to hear from a fellow Nevadan, and it is always reassuring to see citizens taking an active role in the legislative process.

America has a rich tradition when it comes to immigration. Over the years, people from every nation have come to the United States in search of freedom and to pursue their dreams. The immigrant story is one of hope: hope for a better life for oneself and for one's children. The immigrant story is also one of assimilation and contribution to our great nation. By contributing to our country, immigrants have helped create an America of which we can all be proud and a society where we respect life and value liberty. These common values have brought us together as a people in times of crisis and help us appreciate the people of each nationality who have contributed to our great society.

That said, there are many challenges facing our country with respect to legal and illegal immigration. Considering these challenges, I believe that America should adopt immigration policies that are based, first and foremost, on meeting America's needs and the challenges we face. I support policies that would attract immigrants who will come to America to positively contribute to our society. There are many men and women serving in our nation's armed forces who are immigrants. They serve because of their love for this country and respect for our nation's values. They truly deserve to be called Americans. There are also people who have highly sought-after skills, such as advanced degrees in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. These immigrants represent hope for continued scientific advancement, such as finding a cure for certain cancers. I believe that America is stronger because of immigrants like these, and I believe that America should seek them out and welcome them.

As you may know, in 1982 the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that children in the country illegally be allowed access to public education from kindergarten through high school. This ruling, however, did not include access to postsecondary education. This issue was later addressed in the 1996 Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act (IIRIRA). A provision in the IIRIRA prohibits states from granting people in the country illegally certain postsecondary educational benefits unless equal benefits are also made available to U.S. citizens. Since 1996, ten states have chosen to amend their state laws and circumvent the IIRIRA to allow people in the country illegally access to postsecondary education without offering the same benefit to all U.S. citizens.

In the 110th Congress, I voted to oppose cloture on the DREAM Act because Senators were denied an opportunity to amend this contentious piece of legislation. The DREAM Act should include adequate safeguards to prevent fraud and abuse. Unfortunately, S. 729 only addresses a small part of the overall immigration problem and Congress should deal with this issue in a comprehensive overhaul of our nation's immigration laws.

You may be interested to know that the DREAM Act has been referred to the Senate Committee on Judiciary, of which I am not a member. Please rest assured that I will keep your views, and the views of all Nevadans, in mind should the full Senate consider legislation on this or any other legislation reforming our immigration system.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. If you should have further questions or comments or would like to sign up for my newsletter, please feel free to write or e-mail me via my website at http://ensign.senate.gov.

Doesn't seem like he is against it, especially since an anti-immigrant was inquiring his position.

cindy555 05-15-2009 01:59 PM

Hey questionsihave, great job on that list! :) I noticed you said Cornyn "seems to support CIR". I think that's a mistake from what I've researched and from meetings in my town with other pro-immigrant groups, we've all agreed he's impossible to deal with. Here's what he replied to me once:

Thank you for contacting me about immigration reform. The need to fix our broken system is clear, and I appreciate having the benefit of your insight on one of the most important issues of our day.

Immigration reform must ultimately be about improving our system for legal immigration, not about creating new benefits for illegal aliens. Although we are a proud nation of immigrants, we are also a nation of laws. If policymakers will agree that all immigrants must abide by the rule of law, then we can reach a consensus on ways to improve the legal process so that it meets the needs of our society, our economy, and our national security.

During the 110th Congress, the Senate considered comprehensive immigration reform legislation (S. 1639). I had serious concerns that the legislation, as drafted, would have repeated the well documented mistakes of the 1986 amnesty bill. Furthermore, Senators were not allowed the full opportunity to offer amendments to this flawed legislation, and as such, I was one of 53 Senators who voted against the cloture motion to bring S. 1639 to a vote.

I have been working throughout my time in the Senate to develop a solution to this problem that I believe will work. I encourage you to visit my website at http://www.cornyn.senate.gov/immigration for more information regarding the immigration reforms I support. As we consider immigration reform proposals in the future, I will continue to promote these policies, but I will oppose any bill that rewards illegal conduct and encourages further disrespect for our laws.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent the interests of Texans in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

So yeah, he fits the under "Don't Care" :D

questionsihave 05-15-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindy555 (Post 128949)
Hey questionsihave, great job on that list! :) I noticed you said Cornyn "seems to support CIR". I think that's a mistake from what I've researched and from meetings in my town with other pro-immigrant groups, we've all agreed he's impossible to deal with. Here's what he replied to me once:

Thank you for contacting me about immigration reform. The need to fix our broken system is clear, and I appreciate having the benefit of your insight on one of the most important issues of our day.

Immigration reform must ultimately be about improving our system for legal immigration, not about creating new benefits for illegal aliens. Although we are a proud nation of immigrants, we are also a nation of laws. If policymakers will agree that all immigrants must abide by the rule of law, then we can reach a consensus on ways to improve the legal process so that it meets the needs of our society, our economy, and our national security.

During the 110th Congress, the Senate considered comprehensive immigration reform legislation (S. 1639). I had serious concerns that the legislation, as drafted, would have repeated the well documented mistakes of the 1986 amnesty bill. Furthermore, Senators were not allowed the full opportunity to offer amendments to this flawed legislation, and as such, I was one of 53 Senators who voted against the cloture motion to bring S. 1639 to a vote.

I have been working throughout my time in the Senate to develop a solution to this problem that I believe will work. I encourage you to visit my website at http://www.cornyn.senate.gov/immigration for more information regarding the immigration reforms I support. As we consider immigration reform proposals in the future, I will continue to promote these policies, but I will oppose any bill that rewards illegal conduct and encourages further disrespect for our laws.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent the interests of Texans in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

So yeah, he fits the under "Don't Care" :D

Your right, but he is constantly saying we need to deal with immigration reform. It makes it hard for me to know what his motives are. I definitely know he wont support the DA standalone in its current form.

CIR_DREAM2009 05-15-2009 04:11 PM

Great List but needs one correction. Sen. elect Franken should be listed as a Democrat (D-MN) not (R-MN).

Umbrellas and Elephants 05-18-2009 12:11 PM

quick question anyone know if the americas voice fax thing is actually sending faxes still? because on the button it says faxes but then after that it just refers to it as "email" just curious to know if i send out through the other fax things or that ones stilll working

questionsihave 05-18-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umbrellas and Elephants (Post 129271)
quick question anyone know if the americas voice fax thing is actually sending faxes still? because on the button it says faxes but then after that it just refers to it as "email" just curious to know if i send out through the other fax things or that ones stilll working

Actually, don't use that one. The link is weird. You want to say you support the dream act, but the message they want you to send only talks about CIR...