DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Taking Action (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Recent Action (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=24025)

SuperGSPorty 08-21-2011 03:00 AM

Recent Action

I have noticed on many occasions that this section of the forum can be compared to a book. It is the most useful tool and the least used.

Recent changes to deportation procedures in the Obama Administration convey to many, especially DREAMers, that maybe they do want to keep our skills in this wonderful country. This has sparked a fire in regards to the immigration debate and is causing great momentum.

We should begin to mobilize, perform peaceful protests, fax, postcards, etc...we need to form a campaign that will brings change soon or that makes the main issue of the upcoming elections, immigration.

Please send comments below with ideas of how we can make a DREAM Act really ours. Whatever we do, we need to act big and capture the attention of many Americans on public television.

MiGente 08-21-2011 05:47 PM

Re: Recent Action

I would recommend to join a local advocacy group that centers on working for the DREAM Act or anything regarding immigration and equal education. Around what area do you live? I might be able to connect you a group that is part of our Dream Team network or any other affiliates.

Unfortunately, for this forum, it would be nearly impossible to truly organize much for certain reasons.

Like I said, build work within your local community and expand like many of us activists do.

MiGente 08-21-2011 05:49 PM

If there is not a local advocacy group, you can even begin your own! For instance, Dream Team LA only started with a couple of people and how has expanded into tons of dedicated members!

buckminsterfullerene 08-21-2011 08:48 PM

I am with MiGente, a local advocacy group is probably the best place for concentrated activism, the intention of this forum was really just as a place to come and chill, to speak ones mind and to communicate with other individuals in the same predicament. Its visibility is its own hindrance when it comes to organizing for any kind of concentrated activism as we do not specify who may or may not see this information. In that sense, individual advocacy groups have us beat, furthermore, they are able to concentrate their efforts in manners custom made to have the greatest effect in their own communities.

With that said, all hope is not lost, we are online and that is a medium of communication that has been of increasing importance in getting information around, our efforts could concentrate in those areas.

For example, I have for a long time discussed the amounts of misinformation that abounds in various sources online, and the fact that it seems believable and people are not going to do their fair amount of research to corroborate the information may cause many individuals to believe the misinformation and turn against the DREAM Act. It is not an area that is in any sense simple to become active in, it requires someone that is not likely to lose their temper, someone that can keep a cool head at all times and knows enough about immigration law to counter any kind of argument that may arise with not only facts but citations if possible.

SuperGSPorty 08-23-2011 01:05 AM

I believe there will be a protest/ march on September 17, 2011 in front of the White House in favor of the D. A. Has anyone heard of anything?

2Face 08-23-2011 09:27 AM

Good initiative proposed by OP. btw many on DAP have been predicting start of some momentum in the month of September in regards to DA. Any particular reason for this? Looking forward to any protests and marches.

SuperGSPorty 08-23-2011 12:21 PM

I think September 17 is Citizenship Day.

Alex QA 09-04-2011 03:27 AM

San Antonio activists will be among protesters in front of the Lincoln Memorial on Sept. 15 for a national Grito de Dolores.

Instead of marking Mexican independence, however, they will call for immigrant human rights in the face of state-led initiatives they view as draconian and discriminatory.

Co-organizer Jaime Martinez, head of the César E. Chávez Legacy and Educational Foundation in San Antonio, said the march, led by a group called Viva El Pueblo Latino, will advocate for comprehensive immigration reform, family unification and passage of the DREAM Act.

As Mexican President Felipe Calderón delivers the traditional Grito de Dolores in Mexico City at midnight Sept. 15, marchers in Washington will showcase Viva El Pueblo Latino's human rights agenda, founder Dr. Eduardo Ibarra said.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/pol...on-1887517.php