DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   New Job - Immigration Service Request (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=81362)

paperneedpaper 03-16-2018 05:56 PM

New Job - Immigration Service Request

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Fellow Dreamers,

I recently received an email from an immigration service associated with a company I would work for. I got that email after I said I could work for any U.S. employers with my EAD without disclosing my daca status yet.

At the end of the email, the immigration service said they would determine their immigration action needed for my employment at that company, and I don't know what would be a possible consequence after I say 'no' to all questions and confirm that I am currently staying in the United States in the attachment below.

I clearly said I don't need a sponsorship since I have my EAD, but HR somehow initiated these extra questions with the immigration service and said the company will sponsor me in the future. I think something isn't going to a right direction, and now I'm so scared. Please help me out.

jorgeag92 03-16-2018 06:55 PM

Re: New Job - Immigration Service Request

Did you by chance say you have an EAD while waiting to get your status adjusted? Maybe they are thinking you are in process of receiving your PR card? Just a thought.

paperneedpaper 03-16-2018 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorgeag92 (Post 697867)
Did you by chance say you have an EAD while waiting to get your status adjusted? Maybe they are thinking you are in process of receiving your PR card? Just a thought.

Hey Jorge,
You always help me out. Thanks :)

No I didn't mention that at all, and so I think you may be right in that they think my status can be adjusted with a sponsorship. He said since I'm a full time employee, I will be sponsored by the company in the future. How should I resolve this issue? Telling him that I can't be sponsored (because of DACA?) can't a quite risky.
Once I answered all my questions to that email, I am afraid they would rescind my offer. I heard it is not legal to reject people based on their status tho.

They maybe just conclude that based on my answers to those questions I can't be sponsored and let me work with my EAD or tell me that they can't let me work because it's against their company's policy.

isk84life 03-16-2018 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paperneedpaper (Post 697868)
Hey Jorge,
You always help me out. Thanks :)

No I didn't mention that at all, and so I think you may be right in that they think my status can be adjusted with a sponsorship. He said since I'm a full time employee, I will be sponsored by the company in the future. How should I resolve this issue? Telling him that I can't be sponsored (because of DACA?) can't a quite risky.
Once I answered all my questions to that email, I am afraid they would rescind my offer. I heard it is not legal to reject people based on their status tho.

They maybe just conclude that based on my answers to those questions I can't be sponsored and let me work with my EAD or tell me that they can't let me work because it's against their company's policy.

How much time do you have left on your EAD? and what kind of job is this?

paperneedpaper 03-16-2018 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isk84life (Post 697870)
How much time do you have left on your EAD? and what kind of job is this?

I have about a year left for my EAD and it’s for an engineering sector.

paperneedpaper 03-16-2018 10:48 PM

So I have two options now:

Option #1: Simply answer to all questions and sent the email back to an immigration service, or

Option #2: Ask HR of why he connected me to an immigration service even though I claimed earlier that I don't need a sponsorship.

JayR9 03-17-2018 12:17 AM

go with #2

paperneedpaper 03-17-2018 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayR9 (Post 697876)
go with #2

Sorry forgot to mention, but he said "because this is a full-time position, I will process your immigration, so the company will sponsor you in the future", and following his email, I received an email titled with 'immigration determination' from an immigration service asking those questions.

jorgeag92 03-17-2018 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paperneedpaper (Post 697874)
So I have two options now:

Option #1: Simply answer to all questions and sent the email back to an immigration service, or

Option #2: Ask HR of why he connected me to an immigration service even though I claimed earlier that I don't need a sponsorship.

I would do both of these. Just be straight up with them. Some engineering jobs do require security clearance, so just make sure it is not because of that. It's better to be clear about your status, so you don't end up changing cities (in case you have to) just to be laid off shortly after because you didn't meet some dumb requirement.

paperneedpaper 03-17-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorgeag92 (Post 697899)
I would do both of these. Just be straight up with them. Some engineering jobs do require security clearance, so just make sure it is not because of that. It's better to be clear about your status, so you don't end up changing cities (in case you have to) just to be laid off shortly after because you didn't meet some dumb requirement.

Hello,

Thank you Jorge. I am sorry, but I didn't fully understand your answer.
Could you please add more details about the following part of your answer? Are those questions asked for my security clearance?

"Some engineering jobs do require security clearance, so just make sure it is not because of that. It's better to be clear about your status, so you don't end up changing cities (in case you have to) just to be laid off shortly after because you didn't meet some dumb requirement."