DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Graham predicts new push for immigration deal (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=81540)

pink 04-08-2018 01:37 PM

Graham predicts new push for immigration deal

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...508230?cid=apn

Graham predicts new push for immigration deal

By ELI OKUN 04/08/2018 10:53 AM EDT

Sen. Lindsey Graham said Sunday he expects another push in Congress to reach an immigration deal “by the spring, early summer.”

“There’s a deal to take care of them and get the border wall we desperately need, plus interior enforcement to make us safer,” the South Carolina Republican said on ABC’s “This Week.” “That deal can be done, and I'll make a prediction on this show that there’ll be another effort to marry up border security and DACA.”

Graham added that a deal is critical because he expects the courts to eventually rule that President Donald Trump has the authority to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

“It may fail, but I believe we owe it to the American people to try again,” the senator said. “And I think the president is open-minded to trying again.”

Trump’s order to send National Guard troops to the U.S.-Mexico border “makes some sense,” Graham said, but only comprehensive immigration reform can address the underlying causes of illegal border crossings.

A daily play-by-play of congressional news in your inbox.
Email Sign Up
By signing up you agree to receive email newsletters or alerts from POLITICO. You can unsubscribe at any time.
The hawkish Armed Services Committee member also lauded Trump’s tough rhetoric Sunday on a reported Syrian chemical attack that killed dozens. But he warned that withdrawing U.S. troops from Syria, as Trump has repeatedly suggested, would send the country and region spiraling further.

“It’s the defining moment in his presidency, because he has challenged [Syrian President Bashar] Assad in the past not to use chemical weapons,” Graham said. “Assad is at it again. They see our resolve breaking; they see our determination to stay in Syria waning. And it's no accident they use chemical weapons. But President Trump can reset the table here.”

Graham said he wants the U.S. to destroy Assad’s air forces and train Syrians to fight the regime. Pulling out now, he added, would be a “complete, utter disaster.”

I don't expect anything but lip service...But I guess we will all have to watch and see where this goes.

libertarian1776 04-08-2018 01:46 PM

Re: Graham predicts new push for immigration deal

lol i hope so, for their sake.

Ianus 04-08-2018 01:51 PM

*snickers* not happening. Like the optimism though.

EMejia 04-08-2018 01:59 PM

Do y’all think the courts will actually rule in trumps favor?

ECW 04-08-2018 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMejia (Post 701006)
Do y’all think the courts will actually rule in trumps favor?

The 9th Circuit will likely rule in our favor, but once it gets the Supreme Court it's inevitable that they will rule in the administration's favor. We are never going to get a permanent fix, GC's or a path to citizenship as long as this man holds the presidency. Come next year as it get closer to a Supreme Court ruling, I'm almost certain there will be some sort temporary patch and border money attach to a spending bill. (some bullshit like a 1, 2 year extension)

gely_velazquez 04-08-2018 02:58 PM

“Plus interior enforcement, to protect our communities “ same old story ,them (our unducumented family) against us. :((

MIdreamer 04-08-2018 03:17 PM

“There’s a deal to take care of them and get the border wall we desperately need, plus interior enforcement to make us safer,”

Now they want interior enforcement too lol

BeansDreamtoo21 04-08-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIdreamer (Post 701010)
“There’s a deal to take care of them and get the border wall we desperately need, plus interior enforcement to make us safer,”

Now they want interior enforcement too lol

It sounded to me that they wanted to make two deals. Daca for border security. Possible CIR for interiot enforcement and more stuff.

Demise 04-08-2018 03:44 PM

There was a deal and Dotard turned it down.

Right now he might get a 200ft spool of fence for CIR.

AleiaTheEnchanted 04-08-2018 04:01 PM

Let's go!!