DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Trump seriously considering ending DACA. (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=77744)

libertarian1776 08-24-2017 06:46 PM

Trump seriously considering ending DACA.

President Trump is seriously considering ending DACA, the Obama-era policy that shields some illegal immigrants from deportation, before conservative state attorneys general file a court challenge to the program.

Sources familiar with the deliberations tell Axios that Trump has made no final decision, and the White House continues to receive advice from the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Justice. Jeff Sessions strongly believes Trump should end DACA; DHS, however, has a more nuanced position, and Trump himself has said he's sympathetic to the children helped by the program.

What is DACA? Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals — a program Obama introduced that shields illegal immigrants from deportation and temporarily gives them permits to work and study in the U.S., so long as they arrived as children.

Why this matters: If Trump rescinds the program, it will affect a huge number of people. At least 750,000 people currently have DACA status. Despite promising on the campaign trail to immediately rescind DACA, Trump has wavered since taking office, saying he feels for these children who were brought to the country through no fault of their own. The Trump administration has continued to issue new permits under the program, and with its future unclear, many families are confused and anxious about their futures.

What the administration believes: The Trump administration doesn't believe it has the legal authority to maintain the current program; and DHS has made clear that if Congress wants to keep the principles of DACA in place, it would need to introduce legislation to do so.

What's prompting Trump: On June 29, Texas AG Ken Paxton sent a letter — co-signed by 10 other attorneys general from conservative states — to Attorney General Jeff Sessions, in which they "respectfully" request that the Secretary of Homeland Security phase out the DACA program; warning that they'll otherwise amend an existing lawsuit to challenge the program in court.

Asked about that threat, Sessions told Fox and Friends: "I like it that our states and localities are holding the federal government to account, expecting us to do what's our responsibility to the state and locals and that's to enforce the law."

https://www.axios.com/trump-seriousl...476724345.html

Trump seriously considering ending DACA program for undocumented immigrants who arrived as kids via @axios via @bethfertig

its all over twitter guys, all the political pundits are on it.

jaylove16 08-24-2017 06:52 PM

Re: Trump seriously considering ending DACA.

I'm tired at this point. Let him go ahead and end it *shrugs*

Btw, this article doesn't really say much we don't know lol.

libertarian1776 08-24-2017 06:54 PM

yeah whatever bro, i am at peace with whatever happens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaylove16 (Post 626381)

jm1009 08-24-2017 06:58 PM

I'm tired of being so nervous about this issue. I did a walk-in for my biometrics today with the hope that the apps in process will at least go through, but I doubt it.

I just want this all to be settled alright to be honest. Sigh...

Nycgal111 08-24-2017 07:05 PM

This article is a whole lotta nothing. It says Trump has not yet made a final decision. He's considering ending it and getting advice on what to do. Still undecided. On the bright side, only about 2 weeks left to see what happens. I wish my renewal would go through already.

Immigrant 08-24-2017 07:07 PM

Looking at stories of Trump pardoning Sheriff Arpaio, you bet Trump will cancel DACA to please his supporter base.

Smooth 08-24-2017 07:07 PM

Everything is still uncertain.

Josayy 08-24-2017 07:09 PM

Well, crap. I did my bios for my initial application yesterday. Any chance if he does end it that people who already did bios will still get their applications accepted? I'm not a renewal so it's not like I'll still have any form of protection till 2018-19 if it's phased out.

2Face 08-24-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Immigrant (Post 626386)
Looking at stories of Trump pardoning Sheriff Arpaio, you bet Trump will cancel DACA to please his supporter base.

Arpaio has not been pardoned yet. I do not believe in anything until it happens when it comes to Trump. We are not losing or status. I am 100% certain of this.

Swim19 08-24-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaylove16 (Post 626381)

Btw, this article doesn't really say much we don't know lol.

Same. I'm sick on this uncertainty.

I'm not sure why the article is gaining so much traction on twitter since we always knew Trump was considering ending it. There's no new information in the article.