DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   SSA, SSN and wait times (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=31629)

NotAPro 09-18-2012 08:32 PM

Daca unrelated

Google: 'SS-5'

WHEN YOUR I-765 IS APPROVED, WAIT 10 DAYS AFTER THAT TO GO...
EG. YOUR EAD IS APPROVED ON 10-9 WAIT UNTIL 10-19 TO GO TO SSA BECAUSE YOU'LL MOST LIKELY BE IN THE SAVE SYSTEM BY THEN.

I waited 22 days to get my number because I wasn't in the SAVE system when they tried to Verify me, but I took someone who waited 11 days and they got VERIFIED Day 1.

MoroccanDreamer 09-18-2012 09:50 PM

Re: SSA, SSN and wait times

i dont think, it should be a problem to obtain ssn after daca approval, you have to show up in person at your local ss administration office to convince them and to speed up the process, i dont suggest mailing the ss-5 form, just show up with your EAD. the waiting time depends but no longer than 10 business days to receive SSN in the mail.

NotAPro 09-18-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoroccanDreamer (Post 305413)
i dont think, it should be a problem to obtain ssn after daca approval

I am not saying it's a problem. But my first interaction with SSA did not indicate that they would be making it so that you get your SSN in a few days like it used to be a few years ago.

Quote:

you have to show up in person at your local ss administration office to convince them and to speed up the process

My process only started yesterday to think of walking in and demanding something, I might wait 2 to 3 days. But I've read this might be fruitful at least to reveal if there has been any issues with you application.

Quote:

i dont suggest mailing the ss-5 form, just show up with your EAD

You can't mail in your application for ORIGINAL SSN applications, you have to SHOW UP in person.

Quote:

the waiting time depends but no longer than 10 business days to receive SSN in the mail.

The SSA rep. told me 10 days HOLD on the application so they can do a SAVE status check. (MORE WAIT!!) So it can possibly be more than 2 weeks until I get a resolution.

I am trying to see if I can get some kind of indication SSA can do a SAVE check earlier to get over the uncertainty of finding out if DHS has updated their records or not.

marley monster 09-18-2012 10:07 PM

Yeah i heard it's not more than 10 days if you show up in person. Also, a couple of people suggested going back a few days after, because they sometimes give you your new SSN, just not the physical card.

Kawi-ZX6R 09-18-2012 10:07 PM

Wait, i thought filing for the ssn was pretty straight forward? It shouldn't be that long. I have been at the ss administration and showed them all my stuff to get a paper saying i can't get a ssn.

HijoEhSu 09-18-2012 10:09 PM

I think the EAD has people on edge because its either an approve or denied deal.

After the EAD, the SSN is pretty much a guarantee, there isn't much mystery as to whether you will be denied an SSN. So people won't be making "OMG HAVE YOU GOT YOUR SSN YET YO?" threads. Just my thinking, but who knows.

tommydreamer 09-18-2012 10:09 PM

Great post man. I hope its stickied so we dont go through "walk in biometric" trash again.

NotAPro 09-18-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marley monster (Post 305442)
Yeah i heard it's not more than 10 days if you show up in person. Also, a couple of people suggested going back a few days after, because they sometimes give you your new SSN, just not the physical card.

I've read that, but I have not seen any indication SSA will budge on doing a SAVE query earlier than 10 days. I might just show up tomorrow and see if they can do a query and put me out of my misery for a few days. If the database is not yet updated that is one thing, not knowing whether it is or not is another.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawi-ZX6R (Post 305443)
Wait, i thought filing for the ssn was pretty straight forward? It shouldn't be that long. I have been at the ss administration and showed them all my stuff to get a paper saying i can't get a ssn.

It is straight forward. From all the responses I've gotten from DACA approval members, it's the same. So the process seems to have been prolonged unless you intervene.

tommydreamer 09-18-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HijoEhSu (Post 305447)
I think the EAD has people on edge because its either an approve or denied deal.

After the EAD, the SSN is pretty much a guarantee, there isn't much mystery as to whether you will be denied an SSN. So people won't be making "OMG HAVE YOU GOT YOUR SSN YET YO?" threads. Just my thinking, but who knows.

If you applied and wasn't 100% confident in your application your insane. This theard isn't designed to be a 173 page thread where people troll every five minutes asking about approvals. Its an informational post so it can avoid spaming the forum.

HijoEhSu 09-18-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommydreamer (Post 305453)
If you applied and wasn't 100% confident in your application your insane. This theard isn't designed to be a 173 page thread where people troll every five minutes asking about approvals. Its an informational post so it can avoid spaming the forum.

I'm sure everyone has a fear of "what if i get denied" for whatever silly reason. Either way the time to get an SSN isn't as much of an uncertainty as it is with the DACA.

A quick Google search will net tons of results on how long before you can expect to have the SSN in yours hands. A quick Google search will not net tons of results on the expected time to get approved for DACA.

...and just in case there is any confusion: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+long+until+i+get+my+ssn+card