DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Going abroad after DACA approval (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=31753)

ToCalgary 09-20-2012 06:08 PM

Going abroad after DACA approval

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before. I've read what USCIS has posted about going abroad after DACA has been granted, but its still a bit vague.

I wish to study abroad in the UK, which would be around a year. USCIS says we can go abroad for educational reasons when we apply for advance parole, but would a year be too long of a time to be abroad?

ECL23 09-20-2012 06:16 PM

Re: Going abroad after DACA approval

That's something you should discuss with a lawyer.

Honestly, I would take it as though you're still undocumented because technically you are but allowed to work. It's not a green card or us citizenship, so there's no guarantee that you can come back.

Ianus 09-20-2012 06:36 PM

^This,even a Permanent resident who has lost their Green card has a better chance of returning and successfully entering the US than an individual with sketchy approval for Advanced Parole.

What I think going abroad for educational reasons entails is trips made by US educational institutions to places like France to learn French better etc....not necessarily to go to school abroad.It really would be an affront to the whole purpose of the Dream Act I think of building your life and schooling here only to ask to go abroad,lol.

beachgirlx19 09-20-2012 10:58 PM

lol yeah I agree with Ianus. I also want to travel abroad - it was like one of my biggest dreams to travel the world and most importantly my home country. I miss my family and seeing them would mean the world to me but pleasure isn't part of the Advance Parole approval and apparently isn't a good enough reason - still, even IF I had an APPROVED advance parole, I would be terrified to leave knowing I might not be let back in to MY Country =[

KJ90 09-21-2012 12:07 AM

Me too :( I want to go study abroad to France next semester so badly!

I should just go. The worst that can happen is that I can't come back and have to stay in Europe for the rest of my life. ;)
I have always wanted to live in England. :)

MitchAPalooza23 09-21-2012 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJ90 (Post 308994)
Me too :( I want to go study abroad to France next semester so badly!

I should just go. The worst that can happen is that I can't come back and have to stay in Europe for the rest of my life. ;)
I have always wanted to live in England. :)

But then you would be undocumented in England... Plus, what's to say after you're denied entry into the US, England or France will allow you back in?

MadMan 09-21-2012 12:42 AM

You can go, that isn't an issue. Coming back, however...

KJ90 09-21-2012 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MitchAPalooza23 (Post 309037)
But then you would be undocumented in England... Plus, what's to say after you're denied entry into the US, England or France will allow you back in?

Dang. I'll be like Tom Hanks in The Terminal.

I'll be countryless! No one loves me!!

No..wait...they'll probably send me back to Mexico....sigh.

vivace 09-21-2012 01:58 AM

Don't try your luck by going abroad.
Every one of us would love to be able to have that luxury. Some of us for purely travel pleasures, some of us to our extended families again.

Is it worth it right now? Absolutely not.
We would all be singing a different tune, though, if DREAM Act had passed.

pakapoa 09-21-2012 05:38 AM

england is a shit hole now. was there 12 years ago and hated it. my cousin tells me it's fucked up now. go to sweden or something if they don't let you. AP is usually only a year so be sure to return before it expires.