DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Chase Bank no longer opens accounts for Non-US Citizens without passports (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=73448)

Moizy 04-27-2016 08:54 AM

Chase Bank no longer opens accounts for Non-US Citizens without passports

Learned this yesterday as I went to go open a Chase bank account. I normally have my drivers license which is normally fine to open bank accounts along with a secondary form ofid such as a debit card or credit card. The store manager requested that since I am not a citizen, I need to provide a green card or a valid passport.

Since I got DACA, I don't worry about my passport much so this came as a shock. And I'm an existing Chase client lol.

Sorrybrah 04-27-2016 11:34 AM

Re: Chase Bank no longer opens accounts for Non-US Citizens without passports

I thought that was the normal operating procedure, two valid form of ID's to establish identity. That's why I always keep my passport up to date.

Moizy 04-27-2016 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorrybrah (Post 566971)
I thought that was the normal operating procedure, two valid form of ID's to establish identity. That's why I always keep my passport up to date.

A license is a valid government issued photo id. Chase is requiring a foreign issued one. I can open an account anywhere else with my license. The MVC has 6 points of id in place for gods sake...if a state id doesn't fulfill the requirement of an id that needed 6 points to obtain then wtf?

dude33 04-27-2016 06:39 PM

Chase really is the worst , you need ID to deposit money or pay a credit card . Tried depositing money in my dad's account and they made it seem like I was trying to get in the white house

ECL23 04-27-2016 06:53 PM

If they're making it hard for you to open an account... I would go somewhere else that will accept you. There's plenty of banks out there!

yonah 04-30-2016 10:33 AM

Bank of America has got to be the most pro-undocumented bank out there. They even have letters specifically written for uscis in case bank information is required.
They may be pricey, but they're really convenient in MANY ways.

kyungwc 04-30-2016 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moizy (Post 566970)
Learned this yesterday as I went to go open a Chase bank account. I normally have my drivers license which is normally fine to open bank accounts along with a secondary form ofid such as a debit card or credit card. The store manager requested that since I am not a citizen, I need to provide a green card or a valid passport.

Since I got DACA, I don't worry about my passport much so this came as a shock. And I'm an existing Chase client lol.

They didn't ask about my citizenship. I just gave them my license and passport.

make sure to take advantage of the $300 bonus!

Pianoswithoutfaith 04-30-2016 07:29 PM

Can't the EAD be use ? I have a credit card with them well two and they didn't ask me for this

freshh. 04-30-2016 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yonah (Post 567050)
Bank of America has got to be the most pro-undocumented bank out there. They even have letters specifically written for uscis in case bank information is required.
They may be pricey, but they're really convenient in MANY ways.

I agree. I've had an account with them since I was 13 years old and my mother has been a customer just as long.

Either way, I can see how inconvenient this may be for you OP. The only option you have now is to take your business elsewhere. At least the trouble they've caused you may save even one other person a similar
headache.

K-Man 04-30-2016 08:31 PM

My guess is just a branch specific / rep issue. They're human beings and some are there to help you out, while others would probably scrutinize as much as they can, just because.

I opened a Chase checking couple of months ago to have as a secondary, all they wanted was my DL, and existing Chase credit card which I had, I didn't fill out anything or get asked on citizenship status, the banker had me sign couple of places and took care of it.