DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Marriage? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=26493)

stillaround 02-19-2012 03:57 PM

Marriage?

I have a friend who is in the same situation as me, and she is going to get married to her high school friend turned boyfriend later this year. We are going to start visiting lawyers together soon, but would anyone know what process is involved? She is here on an expired visa, so would she have to leave the country? Does anyone know any good affordable lawyers for this?

vmd 02-19-2012 05:59 PM

Re: Marriage?

No need to leave the country since she's not ewi. You can easily process the papers yourselves.

Ianus 02-19-2012 06:00 PM

She would have to prove the marriage is *bona fide* in order to adjust status within the US if a visa overstay.She will require her "I-94" white card at the time of the adjustment interview to prove prior legal entry.The most important part is the Affidavit of Support before any application can move forward.

stillaround 03-12-2012 02:34 PM

Thanks guys :)

Question what is an ewi?

cacheton011 03-12-2012 04:59 PM

I thought the changes Obama made (which kick in later this year) will permit a spouse to stay in the country while waiting for their green card...right?

what is a bona fide marriage?

naima 03-12-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillaround (Post 247899)
Thanks guys :)

Question what is an ewi?

Entered Without Inspection

AngelFace 03-12-2012 05:05 PM

Check this website www.immigrate2us.net(They will help you)

buckminsterfullerene 03-12-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cacheton011 (Post 247912)
I thought the changes Obama made (which kick in later this year) will permit a spouse to stay in the country while waiting for their green card...right?

what is a bona fide marriage?

Those that overstayed their visa did not have to leave the country (avoid the lawyer that tells you otherwise, my family went through almost a dozen and several mentioned they had to leave, if they took that action they would have been banned for 10 years).

The change that you are referring to is for consideration for a waiver for the 3-10 year ban, where you would have to prove that you had to be in this country, and usually would involve a US Citizen that would be dependent on your stay. This change does not change anything other than allows you to have the waiver in your hand as you go through the adjustment process, whereas, before, you would have to leave the country and apply while abroad, if you did not get the waiver you where out of luck and had to stay.

People with credible cases would not follow through with this action because if it did not work it meant they would be separated, and immigration has not been the best with cases that are sensitive.

blackbird 06-22-2012 04:30 AM

Quote:

The change that you are referring to is for consideration for a waiver for the 3-10 year ban, where you would have to prove that you had to be in this country, and usually would involve a US Citizen that would be dependent on your stay. This change does not change anything other than allows you to have the waiver in your hand as you go through the adjustment process, whereas, before, you would have to leave the country and apply while abroad, if you did not get the waiver you where out of luck and had to stay.
Does anybody know what is going on with this? Didn't the commenting period end on June 1st 2012? I am trying to find information about this on immigrate2us but I find that site a bit overwhelming; still trying to familiarize myself with it. Any updates would be much appreciated.

plOp 06-22-2012 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ianus (Post 246762)
She would have to prove the marriage is *bona fide* in order to adjust status within the US if a visa overstay.She will require her "I-94" white card at the time of the adjustment interview to prove prior legal entry.The most important part is the Affidavit of Support before any application can move forward.

^If your friend has all this, and her boyfriend is a USC, then in just a few months, she'll get her work permit then eventually a green card, it's a really fast process, my sister went through that.