DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Trump to extend March 5 deadline to end DACA protections if Congress doesn’t act, GOP (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=78910)

godsavethequeen 10-12-2017 10:57 PM

Trump to extend March 5 deadline to end DACA protections if Congress doesn’t act, GOP

Quote:

TULSA — President Trump will extend a March 5 deadline to end protections for young undocumented immigrants if Congress fails to act by then, according to a Republican senator who spoke directly with the president about the issue.

Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.) said Trump told him he was willing to “give it some more time” to allow lawmakers to find a solution for “dreamers,” unauthorized immigrants brought to this country as children, if Congress does not pass legislation extending protections before time is up.

“The president’s comment to me was that, ‘We put a six-month deadline out there. Let’s work it out. If we can’t get it worked out in six months, we’ll give it some more time, but we’ve got to get this worked out legislatively,’” Lankford said outside a town hall here Thursday night.

Trump did not specify how long an extension might last, Lankford said.

“He wants a legislative solution,” the senator said. “His focus was, ‘We’ve got to get a legislative solution.’”

The White House did not immediately respond Thursday for a request for comment.

The president hinted at this possibility in a tweet Sept. 5, the day he announced that his administration would end an Obama-era program, known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, that allows these immigrants to stay in the country without fear of deportation.

“Congress now has 6 months to legalize DACA,” Trump wrote. “If they can’t, I will revisit the issue!”

Lankford confirmed Trump’s comments to him after describing them to several 20-somethings who approached him to talk about DACA after the town hall.

“I was trying to set them at ease and to say, ‘This is going to get worked out. The president’s even said to me, we’re going to get this worked out and find a solution to this legislatively,’” he said.

Jordan Mazariegos, 24, a dreamer who is studying at accounting at Oklahoma State University, was not fully reassured.

“I don’t know,” he said after hearing Lankford’s comments. “I’ll believe it when I see it.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...ffb_story.html

complicatedc33 10-12-2017 10:58 PM

Re: Trump to extend March 5 deadline to end DACA protections if Congress doesn’t act,

Good news

Dres2011 10-12-2017 10:58 PM

Re: Trump to extend March 5 deadline to end DACA protections if Congress doesn’t act,

“I’ll believe it when I see it.”

libertarian1776 10-12-2017 11:00 PM

i told you but im still betting all my money for a December deal. lol

i also share the Dreamer's sentiment, i'll believe it when i see it.

just lemme renew one more time just in time for the 2020 elections!

Marco956 10-12-2017 11:01 PM

How would that even work? Hard to imagine them opening applications for later. First of all, the Texas judge hasnt even dropped the case. If nothing gets done, people will begin to expire and we'd be screwed.

libertarian1776 10-12-2017 11:02 PM

what judge? the judge suing for DAPA?

Texas AG Ken Paxton dropped the pending lawsuit on Sept 5th.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco956 (Post 646994)
How would that even work? Hard to imagine them opening applications for later. First of all, the Texas judge hasnt even dropped the case. If nothing gets done, people will begin to expire and we'd be screwed.

bad.bunny 10-12-2017 11:10 PM

I wonder how the backlash from his voters will be if he goes this route.

libertarian1776 10-12-2017 11:13 PM

i doubt it, his followers are like sheep.

if he literally shits on the resolute desk, his followers will still find a way to defend it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bad.bunny (Post 647002)
I wonder how the backlash from his voters will be if he goes this route.

fl_dreamer 10-12-2017 11:15 PM

Part of me hopes he won’t extend. That’s the only way anything is going to get done.

ceaguila 10-12-2017 11:16 PM

First of all: Not sure how this works given DHS has stopped accepting renewals. And Sessions says DACA unconstitutional--can't defend if Texas renews suit

Second: Don't believe anything he says, especially after what happened tonight with healthcare, they are ruthless.

Third: They must do it in December because that is th eonly time Dems have leverage. After that , it's gone and GOP will find any excuse not to act. Not to mention, who wants to do this in the middle of midterm elections?