DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   E-verify will not be traded for Dream Act (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=21590)

LifeDreamer 05-19-2011 08:47 AM

E-verify will not be traded for Dream Act

Rep Lamar Smith is attacking one of the most successful Mexican-American columnist that has ever existed — Ruben Navarrette. You can read the full article here. What is up Lamar’s sleeve? E-verify is. He claims it is voluntary but every single Senate office I visited last month in Washington D.C. told me that Lamar wants to introduce a national e-verification program in August. He’s setting out the pillows because Lamar Smith thinks e-verify will happen without protest.

The State of Florida rejected their state version of e-verify and no thanks to Lamar Smith, we are going to lose the State of Florida in 2012 because in essence he is not listening to the business community. The business community does not want to embrace more government bureaucracy via e-verify without a reasonable immigration solution. Businesses depend on competitive labor, and Lamar wants to increase the wage rate.

Why is Lamar Smith attacking Ruben but ignoring the backbone of our economic engine? Did he forget small businesses and farmers are the backbone of our country?

More importantly, the DREAM Act activists have already declared that they will not trade e-verify programs in exchange for passage of the DREAM Act. You can read their response here. They already know Lamar Smith wants them to forget about their mother and father for a cheap trade. Lamar Smith is NOT in support of maintaining the family unit and he wants to give Latinos the scraps in exchange for harsh enforcement policies by dangling the DREAM Act carrot in front of our DREAMers noses. Pretty revolting if you ask me.

It looks like we are headed back to the days of Sensenbrenner where massive protests were sparked with enforcement only policies. When massive protests are sparked again WE ARE GOING TO BLAME LAMAR SMITH.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/arizona-his...gration-views/

victor85 05-19-2011 12:23 PM

Re: E-verify will not be traded for Dream Act

You know, your article is very misleading ! It's only someone's opinion.

ICONDE09 05-19-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by victor85 (Post 217619)
You know, your article is very misleading ! It's only someone's opinion.

I know! Not that Im trying to sound selfish but if the republicans are ready to trade e-verify for DREAM Act, i think we should take. Its better than nothing

kenny1314 05-19-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICONDE09 (Post 217623)
I know! Not that Im trying to sound selfish but if the republicans are ready to trade e-verify for DREAM Act, i think we should take. Its better than nothing

that is true, i rather something happened better than nothing happen. we are living in scary and jobless. sigh.

Alex QA 05-19-2011 12:50 PM

Yup I think this trade will happen eventually .

Alex QA 05-19-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDreamer (Post 217598)
every single Senate office I visited last month in Washington D.C. told me that Lamar wants to introduce a national e-verification program in August. /[/url]

isnt congress taking all of the month of August off for vacation? he picked August so the American people can study the E-verify bill.

hgr1915 05-19-2011 04:00 PM

The civil rights movement didn't Happen over night. It took years they often had to compromise with the other side in-order to pass something that can benefit human dignity and respect.

I feel the Dream act should be traded in for E-VERIFY. Ones E-verify passes they will have one less excuse not to pass CIR. It will be a double edge sword for both the Dreamers and the antis once DA passes it will open the flood gates for other pro immigrant legislation. It will take more time, But all it takes is one single step, One single compromise to make a difference and give cover to some reasonable law makers, that might not otherwise vote for DA by its self for fear of retaliation by the TEA BAGGERS.

buckminsterfullerene 05-19-2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hgr1915 (Post 217646)
The civil rights movement didn't Happen over night. It took years they often had to compromise with the other side in-order to pass something that can benefit human dignity and respect.

I feel the Dream act should be traded in for E-VERIFY. Ones E-verify passes they will have one less excuse not to pass CIR. It will be a double edge sword for both the Dreamers and the antis once DA passes it will open the flood gates for other pro immigrant legislation. It will take more time, But all it takes is one single step, One single compromise to make a difference and give cover to some reasonable law makers, that might not otherwise vote for DA by its self for fear of retaliation by the TEA BAGGERS.

Not to mention DREAMers that could actually do a lot more with less fear of the repercussions as people with legal status.

I don't think that is a very bad trade really.

The thing about e-verify, all it will ensure is that there will either be mass firings and people that would end up getting jobs where they would more readily be taken advantage of for the profit of another person, and/or at the very least it will increase the demand for stolen or 'borrowed' identities. Despite what the government does there are always going to be a large number of people that will most likely not leave the country because either their country is highly unstable, they could make more in one hours than they do in a day or a couple of days, or other people's lives depend on them providing.

bertdude7 05-19-2011 06:06 PM

I think trading E-Verify for Dream Act passage really isnt that bad of an idea, it actually shows compromise on both ends or shared sacrafice.

Erik1421 05-19-2011 06:19 PM

The reason I'm here is because of my parents. I would be 100% against E-Verify/dream act passing and I am willing to lobby against the idea. What this bill would do is take away our dignity and would make us sacrifice non-dream immigrants including our parents for our own good. The only way it would pass is if they promise to enact an immigration reform 5 months after its passage, otherwise, consider this dead.