DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Durbin : says Graham’s border-wall framework falls short (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83165)

jaylove16 01-10-2019 02:19 PM

Durbin : says Graham’s border-wall framework falls short

Senate Democratic Whip Dick Durbin (Ill.), a key negotiator on immigration issues, said Thursday that a proposal being put together by a group of moderate Republicans falls short because it would not provide permanent help to immigrants known as Dreamers.

He told reporters he would not agree to a substantial increase in border-fencing funding if Republicans provide only temporary protection to immigrants who came to the country illegally at a young age and now face deportation because President Trump rescinded the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program. Durbin said a temporary fix for DACA recipients “doesn’t buy much from me.
He said Republicans would need to agree to a path to citizenship for the estimated 1.8 million immigrants who would be eligible for DACA protection.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...rk-falls-short

Bye bridge act !

dreamer__13 01-10-2019 02:22 PM

Re: Durbin : says Graham’s border-wall framework falls short

Awesome! We need GCs.

juvi 01-10-2019 02:24 PM

Good, no to Bridge Act.

Copper 01-10-2019 02:27 PM

Trump and the GOP are not going to give us anything permanent when all their asking for is a down payment. Unless Democrats offer the full $25 billion again I see nothing permanent for us.

dreamer__13 01-10-2019 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copper (Post 726888)
Trump and the GOP are not going to give us anything permanent when all their asking for is a down payment. Unless Democrats offer the full $25 billion again I see nothing permanent for us.

From reading the article, it seem to me that Dems are willing to give him more money if we get a pathway to citizenship.

Copper 01-10-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamer__13 (Post 726891)
From reading the article, it seem to me that Dems are willing to give him more money if we get a pathway to citizenship.

Durbin says a wall is off the table only fencing but doesn’t mention how much their willing to offer for a path way to citizenship.

I still don’t see Trump giving us citizenship for a fence and $5.1 billion.

tays123 01-10-2019 02:44 PM

The best solution for Trump is to declare national emergency and then of course get sued... He needs to save face and then be able to tell his base that he did all he could for the wall.... I could hear him say "Democrats did not want to fund it. They even shut the government... I even declared national emergency..." So no Daca-Wall deal in my opinion. Let's hope that the Supreme court does not take the DACA case.

Red neck 01-10-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tays123 (Post 726899)
The best solution for Trump is to declare national emergency and then of course get sued... He needs to save face and then be able to tell his base that he did all he could for the wall.... I could hear him say "Democrats did not want to fund it. They even shut the government... I even declared national emergency..." So no Daca-Wall deal in my opinion. Let's hope that the Supreme court does not take the DACA case.

I hope they do hear the case.. but it could go both ways

Red neck 01-10-2019 02:46 PM

@peterbakernyt
28m28 minutes ago
More
Trump cancels trip to Davos citing government shutdown, which would suggest that he expects it to still be going on at least another 10 days.

Hallowpoint1911 01-10-2019 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tays123 (Post 726899)

I think this will be the most likely scenario.