DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Citizenship in 3 years regardless of not living together? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83733)

cnarias7 07-15-2019 11:46 PM

Citizenship in 3 years regardless of not living together?

Hello,

After years of marriage, my wife and I have split up. We just fell out of love and it wasn't working out anymore. I decided to leave the states and return to New Jersey where all my family lives (had moved to LA with her since her family mostly lives there).

We had our green card interview and was approved for my permanent GC. From there, obviously the next step was citizenship within 3 years as I was married to a US citizen. However, things went sideways and instead of staying in a damage relationship, we talked it over and decided it was best to end it.

Being in different states and work just having most of our time, we have yet to go through the divorce paperwork so nothing has been filed or sent to court therefore technically married. My 3 years will be by end of year. Seeing that we're still married, can i still proceed with applying for citizenship? Does this me just entail going to USCIS and taking the test or is there another interview? Does she need to attend anything else or is at this point just me? Any info would be helpful. If i can't then i don't mind waiting the 5 years but just wanted to ask since i was curious.

Thanks in advance.

BestBefore1984 07-16-2019 12:06 AM

Re: Citizenship in 3 years regardless of not living together?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnarias7 (Post 739064)
Hello,

After years of marriage, my wife and I have split up. We just fell out of love and it wasn't working out anymore. I decided to leave the states and return to New Jersey where all my family lives (had moved to LA with her since her family mostly lives there).

We had our green card interview and was approved for my permanent GC. From there, obviously the next step was citizenship within 3 years as I was married to a US citizen. However, things went sideways and instead of staying in a damage relationship, we talked it over and decided it was best to end it.

Being in different states and work just having most of our time, we have yet to go through the divorce paperwork so nothing has been filed or sent to court therefore technically married. My 3 years will be by end of year. Seeing that we're still married, can i still proceed with applying for citizenship? Does this me just entail going to USCIS and taking the test or is there another interview? Does she need to attend anything else or is at this point just me? Any info would be helpful. If i can't then i don't mind waiting the 5 years but just wanted to ask since i was curious.

Thanks in advance.

Hey man. Sorry to hear that but it sounds to me that it was a civil separation. I remember your story from a while back. Did you find out if there was another an in the equation?

justgreened 07-16-2019 11:25 AM

I think it's better to apply after 5yrs since you are already separated though not legally. I believe they will ask questions about your spouse.

dreampro17 07-16-2019 11:54 AM

https://citizenpath.com/divorce-after-green-card/

Check out the link above. You should speak to an attorney and don't attempt to do this on your own. Your case seems different because you and your spouse are not divorced.

jorgeag92 07-16-2019 12:46 PM

Not to be a negative nancy, but doesnt uscis revoke your documents if you divorce before a certain period of time? You should try to stay married and consult a lawyer on what is the best step to take.

IamAman 07-16-2019 12:58 PM

Dude seriously, why rock the boat? You have your green card. Don't put yourself under a microscope now. At the very least consult an immigration lawyer who can go through your case.

Malign0n 07-16-2019 05:53 PM

Do you have a conditional green card or a full 10 year GC? Why the rush for citizenship? Waiting 5 years isn’t much