DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   DACA recipient diagnosed with Brain Cancer (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=75105)

Harlo&William 11-30-2016 03:47 PM

DACA recipient diagnosed with Brain Cancer

Hi guys this is the first time I post here. I don't know where else to ask this question. I was diagnosed with brain cancer 2 months ago. I had surgery October 5th and today I'm starting chemo and radiation. I have two boys a 2 year old and a 4 year old. Both born here in the u.s.. My wife is also a DACA recipient. Is there any way we can both adjust status? Is there any Humanitarian "way" to become permanent residents. So much has happened to our family in such short period of time and to add to the possibility of DACA being taken away is very scary and depressing. I have asked a few lawyers but no one knows if its possible. Thanks in advanced.

2MoreYears 11-30-2016 03:54 PM

Re: DACA recipient diagnosed with Brain Cancer

I'm no expert but I sincerely believe you can get a visa. Best wishes, blessings and good luck. Stay positive.

Harlo&William 11-30-2016 03:56 PM

Thanks

Nycgal111 11-30-2016 05:33 PM

Wow I am sorry to hear that. I wish you get better. You can argue that there isn't adequate healthcare or doctors in your country. There is better chance of received medical care here and you have two citizens kids to take care of and support. God bless.

jpcer 11-30-2016 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harlo&William (Post 591659)
Hi guys this is the first time I post here. I don't know where else to ask this question. I was diagnosed with brain cancer 2 months ago. I had surgery October 5th and today I'm starting chemo and radiation. I have two boys a 2 year old and a 4 year old. Both born here in the u.s.. My wife is also a DACA recipient. Is there any way we can both adjust status? Is there any Humanitarian "way" to become permanent residents. So much has happened to our family in such short period of time and to add to the possibility of DACA being taken away is very scary and depressing. I have asked a few lawyers but no one knows if its possible. Thanks in advanced.

I am not an attorney, however I have been working at an Immigration Law Firm for over a year. I have learned quite a bit about immigration law. I have seen cases similar to yours, however those individuals do not have DACA. You can possibly apply for something called "Humanitarian DACA". I know we have clients who applied for this and got approved (They have an illness or their children had an illness). It is not like permanent residency, but you do have other benefits. I would recommend you speak to an attorney about Humanitarian DACA as I am not an attorney but I figured, I would let you know.

*Not legal advice, not an attorney*

ECL23 12-02-2016 10:17 PM

I think you have very good advice here. Definitely speak to an attorney, or consult with multiple attorney's to find the one that may be more knowledgeable about it.

Best of luck and stay positive!

QueenB 12-03-2016 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpcer (Post 591763)
I am not an attorney, however I have been working at an Immigration Law Firm for over a year. I have learned quite a bit about immigration law. I have seen cases similar to yours, however those individuals do not have DACA. You can possibly apply for something called "Humanitarian DACA". I know we have clients who applied for this and got approved (They have an illness or their children had an illness). It is not like permanent residency, but you do have other benefits. I would HIGHLY recommend you speak to an attorney about Humanitarian DACA as I am not an attorney but I figured, I would let you know.

Are you saying this humanitarian daca is for people who don't have daca?

QueenB 12-03-2016 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harlo&William (Post 591659)

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope you and your family can recover for this. When you say you've asked lawyers and they say they don't know, are they saying they can't help you because they don't know of any path to help you or they tell you they can help you but they aren't sure of the outcome? Attorneys usually know (or think they know) whether you qualify for something or not. But you should consult more attorneys for sure. The first attorney I hired said I did not qualify for daca... I then went to get a second opinion and I was right away told I did qualify. So, my advice is don't settle with the first answer. But if you've asked a few attorneys and they all have said you don't quality for anything then chances are you don't.

Swim19 12-03-2016 11:12 AM

I'm sorry you are going through this. I'm not a lawyer, but from what I know there is no special visa category/ permanent residence category for an undocumented person with cancer or any illness. I see you have spoken to a lawyer, but it can't hurt to ask multiply lawyers.

I would think you would qualify for an extreme hardship wavier to a US Citizen (your two young children), but the waiver only works for an approved petition.

Pianoswithoutfaith 12-03-2016 10:18 PM

Best of luck