DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   DREAMing Nurses Appreciation Thread (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=26896)

Saveran 03-30-2012 06:10 PM

DREAMing Nurses Appreciation Thread

This is a shout-out to all my fellow DREAM nurses in the country. Holla.

I know a lot of us are either in nursing school, graduated nursing school and awaiting licensure, or are one of the lucky few to have already gotten their license. The hoops we have had to jump through just to get into our nursing programs were among the hardest that most working DREAMies have to deal with in their lives.

Use this thread to talk about your plans for life and your current projects and goals. Also, use this thread to share advice. Are you currently in nursing school? Perhaps a pre-nursing student? Did you graduate and take your boards yet?

About me: I got licensed three years ago and then I did private duty nursing for two years as I was unable to secure permanent employment in a hospital due to my status (obviously). It paid the bills, though. Then, I worked in a temporary position for a travel nursing agency for six months, and it was awesome! I worked in cardiac telemetry for most of that time. Unfortunately my contract ended and I am back to private duty nursing. I love what I do but I miss the experience (and pay!) of travel nursing.

drock226 03-31-2012 05:44 PM

Re: DREAMing Nurses Appreciation Thread

Hello all,

I am currently in my 3rd year of nursing school. I've got hopefully one more year to go till I frantically study for the NCLEX.

My plans for after is to move to GA. My aunt and uncle live there and have been working in a local hospital for over 20 years now and so they are very well known. I was actually fortunate enough to have been "hooked up" with an internship/volunteering over this coming summer. I need it to beef up my resume.

I was already offered a job there actually by the director of nursing, but obviously with my status I most likely cannot. My uncle said that if I was liked by the hospital they can maybe sponsor me but not too sure yet if that's a viable option. We still need to talk to an immigration lawyer to see if that is even possible with my status.

Other than that, I don't want to really make a lot of plans....I mean I do....but hell it's not like I can do much anyways after I get my license. Right now I just pray every night that some relief passes soon.

And the post above.....how were you able to work at all? Do you have a SS#?

Saveran 04-01-2012 03:41 PM

As I said, I'm a private duty nurse, which means that I'm self-employed. I find my own clients through referrals. I mainly work for families that have a medically needy child with tracheostomy and/or a vent.

YouMadBrah??? 04-02-2012 10:33 AM

I would also like to say thank you to all the CNA's out there who has to take care of the dirty work nurses refuses to do.

( Cleaning Diarrhea, Giving sponge baths, feeding the disabled, cleaning open wounds, putting up with people with dementia, etc etc. )

Thank you and keep up the good work! Without you, the world would smell like a big pile of shit from all the decaying fecal matters.

Dreamer12 04-02-2012 02:58 PM

Hi everyone, I m a graduating high school this year and plan to get into a nursing program later in the future. So far I only know of one school near me in California. That will accept students with out a SSN into the program. How hard was it to get into a program for you guys? Any advice I should know of that will help me succeed?

Oskieo 04-03-2012 03:48 PM

what it do my fellow nurses!!!
so im in my third semester of nursing doing pediatrics......ill graduate in mid november and gonna take my NCLEX here in cali......but like most of u im gonna be screwed after getting my license......i have been offered a student nurse job and job after graduation in a med/surg floor in a hospital down the street from where i live but cant work since no ssn, my maternity instructor also keeps emailing me to go with her to do some volunteer work in mexico at some clinics her organization has established which cracks me up........i wanna say yea ill go but im not coming back ha ha ha ........i applied to a health internship during the summer which im freakin excited about and have been non stop on craigslist looking for care giving jobs but no luck......so saveran i have looked into private duty nurse but how exactly do u do it....from what i have understood is that u need a ssn or be tied and hired by a business, im confused....can u please give us the info as to how we can all start doing this ....any info would be appreciated thanks......oh and cna's we love u too, as my classmates say it, "nurses and cna's are poop buddies"!!!

DeezUniverse 04-04-2012 02:57 PM

Hi guys--
I just want to say how proud I am and inspired I am by all of you. So resourceful, this thread really cheered me up today.

So, I'm turning 27 this year and I've been a full time nanny since I was 19. I graduated Highschool, but wasn't able to attend college. Being a nurse has been my dream since highschool. My question is, how can I get on that path? I would love to be able to do CNA work, but how do I go about applying to schools/programs.

I'm a female, I live in PA.

Dreamer12 04-08-2012 12:25 AM

Take some college prerequisite classes towards a nursing career. Start there.

GiveMeAChance 04-08-2012 12:48 PM

I'm a CNA. I had actually forgotten about it until I saw this thread. LOL. *tear*

I tried getting a job in nursing homes but never got a call back from anybody. I know. Shocker right.

I was about 17 when I became a CNA. It was offered at my high school. My little sister is now a senior in that same high school and I was seeing the classes offered and they're still doing the CNA classes except now they have a note in bold letters. Please do not apply if you don't have a valid social security number.

geronimo610 04-10-2012 10:37 PM

Hi everyone!

I am a registered nurse!!! Just got my license 6 months ago... now I am trying to start my own business as a health coach. I realized that starting my own business is the way to go and thought I would use my nursing knowledge to help coach people get healthier.

Saveran, thank you for starting this thread. I would love to connect with you and talk sometime. How did you get those jobs? I am licensed under state of Maryland, where are you licensed? I am afraid of working as a private duty nurse because I live in California and cannot use out of state licensure. Also, even if I work as a nurse in Maryland, I am afraid they can take my license away for working when I am not suppose to. Did you run into these issues?

How did you land a job with a traveling agency? They usually don't hire new grads, I wish I could get that job! Did you use ITIN?