DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   New Members (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   I-821D Renewal Questions (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=69033)

AndyElle523 09-29-2014 06:37 PM

I-821D Renewal Questions

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this forum, and I have some questions. I hope somebody can help me figure this out because I am running out of time but I feel helpless. Well, here goes...
When USCIS released the renewal for for I-821D back in June I freaked out because it had timeframes for how long it would take to process those forms, and my current DACA papers expire in October. As soon as the forms came out I began to fill them out (I-821D and I-765), and by the mid June I had already mailed the forms and they had already received them. When I go to the USCIS page to check the status of my case, it says that the forms were received on the 16th of June (which unfortunately is less than 120 days).

About a month later I received the letter that says for you to do the biometrics, and that happened sometime around the 11th of July. I have not heard anything from USCIS about my application. It is still under the "Initial Review" step when I check my case status.

I have 2 other family members who are also under DACA and filed for renewal. It is important to note that they filed and their papers were accepted at a later date than mine (also their current DACA status expires about a week after mine). About a week ago their renewal cases were accepted and their documents were sent.

Here we are a week later. My current DACA status expires on October 9th and my case has not been either approved or denied.

Here's my questions:
I currently have two jobs and I am a full time student. This was not the case during the time of filing the forms, seeing as the fall semester had not started and I had not been offered the opportunity to work. My question is the following. Will I be terminated from both of my jobs once October 9th comes if USCIS hasn't reached a decision yet?

Would it make a difference to my case if I scheduled an appointment to present new evidence that I have two jobs at the moment?

I read on the USCIS page for form I-821D that they can grant temporary status to those people who filed with at least 120 days of anticipation before their current DACA status expires. I know I didn't file within 120 days before expiration but it could not be done since the renewal forms were not out yet. Is there any chance that they might grant me temporary status until they reach a decision, just so that they don't terminate my employment?

Is anybody else finding themselves in this particular situation where they filed as soon as the forms came out and they still have not reached a decision on their case?

Please help!!

Thanks to those who take the time to read this.

Malign0n 09-29-2014 07:11 PM

Re: I-821D Renewal Questions

What happens at your work depends on if they keep track of your work papers. If you work for a big company then HR will receive a notification of your work documents expiring and legally they can't have you past that date. What some dreamers are doing is taking a non-paid leave of absence until they get their documents. Otherwise, if your workplace doesn't keep track of those things then it's very likely you won't hear from them about your work status.

As for getting an extension, everyone who practically asked for one (whether phone or INFOPASS appt) they've all been told the same thing that "Deferred Action must be approved before they can give you anything". And basically, until they approve your DACA they can't give you an extension.

Unfortunately, if you check the Lounge you will see this is becoming more an more prevalent as the bureaucracy of Immigration begins to weigh down on DACA cases. I hope that you can get an approval in time, so that you don't have to take a leave of absence but at least you know that you won't have to be terminated. Good luck

AndyElle523 10-02-2014 12:40 PM

Another issue I forgot to mention is the following:
My Driver's License will expire on the 9th as well. I can't afford to stop driving around. How am I supposed to get from point A to point B in time?
If I were to drive after it expired is there any possible way of reasoning with a police officer as to why I'm driving around with an expired license.

important to note that I've never been pulled over.

bati555 10-09-2014 02:03 PM

Hello, I see that your deferred action expires today. Do you have any updates for us? Maybe as Malignon suggested, you could take days off work in the meantime. Also, for the driver's license, just drive carefully and you should be fine.

AndyElle523 10-13-2014 07:08 PM

Update:
I called customer service again, and they informed me that I might be able to obtain a temporary status while they reach a decision on my case. To do so I need to go to the local USCIS office after making an appointment through their website (which I already did). Monday the 20th of October is the date I have my appointment at the office. In the meantime I talked to my employers and they were very comprehensive about the situation in the sense that they didn't terminate my employment. They're willing to give me a chance to present some proof that my renewal will be approved or that my EAD is in the process of being sent (which I don't see happening anytime soon since the status of my case as of today still stands at Initial Review).

Is anybody else in a similar situation. I keep wondering why it is that my case has been in the same step for more than 4 months. I looked at the average processing times for processing for the office that I sent my forms to and it says 6 months, but I don't know of anybody whose had to wait more than 3 months.

Is it possible that my application was misplaced at their office while processing?
Would it be a good idea to ask about this issue when I go in for my appointment?

Thank you!

AndyElle523 11-19-2014 04:20 PM

Update:
Today November 19, 2014. They updated my case to the following:
"On November 19, 2014, we updated your name for your Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization"
I'm not sure if they've made a mistake or if I made a mistake. I never requested for a name change and I filled out the form with the same information I had used for the previous application (the one filled out in 2012).
I'll keep updating this post, but I'm beginning to feel like something went wrong with my application.
Did anybody else receive a message like this?

Thank you to anybody that reads this and shares their experiences

astroxp 04-14-2015 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyElle523 (Post 546987)
Update:
Today November 19, 2014. They updated my case to the following:
"On November 19, 2014, we updated your name for your Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization"
I'm not sure if they've made a mistake or if I made a mistake. I never requested for a name change and I filled out the form with the same information I had used for the previous application (the one filled out in 2012).
I'll keep updating this post, but I'm beginning to feel like something went wrong with my application.
Did anybody else receive a message like this?

Thank you to anybody that reads this and shares their experiences

I'm getting the same "we updated your name" message and I didn't request any name change either. What turned out to be this for you?

Lost Generation 06-27-2015 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyElle523 (Post 543376)
Update:
I called customer service again, and they informed me that I might be able to obtain a temporary status while they reach a decision on my case. To do so I need to go to the local USCIS office after making an appointment through their website (which I already did). Monday the 20th of October is the date I have my appointment at the office. In the meantime I talked to my employers and they were very comprehensive about the situation in the sense that they didn't terminate my employment. They're willing to give me a chance to present some proof that my renewal will be approved or that my EAD is in the process of being sent (which I don't see happening anytime soon since the status of my case as of today still stands at Initial Review).

Is anybody else in a similar situation. I keep wondering why it is that my case has been in the same step for more than 4 months. I looked at the average processing times for processing for the office that I sent my forms to and it says 6 months, but I don't know of anybody whose had to wait more than 3 months.

Is it possible that my application was misplaced at their office while processing?
Would it be a good idea to ask about this issue when I go in for my appointment?

Thank you!

Did you get that temporary status after the appointment?