DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Other Topics (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Citizen mother to sponsor me? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=69699)

Forum313 11-20-2014 02:00 PM

Citizen mother to sponsor me?

Hey guys well my mother just told me she will be able to apply for her citizenship starting this upcoming January. I knew it really meant nothing to me since I'm already over 21. She did however mentioned since I'm not married that I could get a GC within a year which I think is bs. I know she can but last time I read I think it would take up to 5 years or more for me to get my GC.

I do know this is true if I was under 21 or if she wanted to sponsor her parents. Is there any validity to this length wise?

IamAman 11-20-2014 02:16 PM

Re: Citizen mother to sponsor me?

Funny story, if you were a citizen, your mom would be considered immediate family, but if your mom is a citizen, you're not considered immediate family. So the bad news is that you won't be able to readjust your status if she becomes a citizen.

The GOOD news is she can still sponsor you but it will take a long time like you said. 5 years? eh, I'm going to guess about right. You would be considered an F2B sponsorship (if you're not married) and at current time, they are just now processing people who applied in Feb of 2008. http://travel.state.gov/content/visa.../bulletin.html You might think "oh so it's only 6 1/2 years to go! but it doesn't work quite like that since it's all dependent on how many applicants have applied since that time and given the limited number of the visas...it could take longer or even shorter. The previous month, they were doing January 1st of 2008 so good news, it looks like it's a faster pace than say F4 (me) where it's takes 2 months real time to move forward 1 month.

Forum313 11-20-2014 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamAman (Post 547225)
Funny story, if you were a citizen, your mom would be considered immediate family, but if your mom is a citizen, you're not considered immediate family. So the bad news is that you won't be able to readjust your status if she becomes a citizen.

The GOOD news is she can still sponsor you but it will take a long time like you said. 5 years? eh, I'm going to guess about right. You would be considered an F2B sponsorship (if you're not married) and at current time, they are just now processing people who applied in Feb of 2008. http://travel.state.gov/content/visa.../bulletin.html You might think "oh so it's only 6 1/2 years to go! but it doesn't work quite like that since it's all dependent on how many applicants have applied since that time and given the limited number of the visas...it could take longer or even shorter. The previous month, they were doing January 1st of 2008 so good news, it looks like it's a faster pace than say F4 (me) where it's takes 2 months real time to move forward 1 month.

I see, I had an idea that would happen but unfortunately she's too ignorant. I'm not married nor I plan to be, even though this would turn a lifelong wait into months.

Best of luck for you tonight. I really hope Obama will have good news and I wish you the best.

IamAman 11-20-2014 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forum313 (Post 547275)
I see, I had an idea that would happen but unfortunately she's too ignorant. I'm not married nor I plan to be, even though this would turn a lifelong wait into months.

Best of luck for you tonight. I really hope Obama will have good news and I wish you the best.

Thanks...I'm nervous...

nawaz 12-15-2014 03:11 AM

This has been discussed several times. If you entered without inspection you can't readjust your status without leaving the country. If you leave the country, because you were here EWI, you will be banned for 10 years. You'll need to get advance parole first to make sure you can come back. Get a lawyer.

Forum313 12-16-2014 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nawaz (Post 549555)
This has been discussed several times. If you entered without inspection you can't readjust your status without leaving the country. If you leave the country, because you were here EWI, you will be banned for 10 years. You'll need to get advance parole first to make sure you can come back. Get a lawyer.

I understand. I entered the country with inspection and overstayed my visa.

ria 01-26-2015 02:54 AM

Just looking for a way to stay up-to-date and current without having to log onto my computer. Anyone know of an app or something like this?

Demise 01-26-2015 10:21 AM

In order to get a green card via a citizen parent, after being in US illegally you generally must have 245(i).

Though with the recent changes and the planned expansion of the provisional hardship waiver program to include other relatives of US citizens and permanent residents, you might be able to get one of those once your priority date is current. Then undergo consular processing abroad.

Problem being, that even if you can apply for one, you still would need to prove extreme hardship to your mother should you be absent from US. Which considering the relationship, it won't be easy. Note that these are hard even for married spouses

There is definitely no harm in your mother filling I-130 on your behalf, though you must understand that:
1) Nothing is guaranteed. By the time your priority date becomes current (generally about 5 years in F-1 category, more for Mexico and Philippines) the regulations may be changed not in your favor, provisional waiver may be completely abandoned. Or on the contrary, some kind of reform might pass and the petition itself will become irrelevant.
2) It will take time. F-1 category is severely backlogged.

If you were under 21, then it would all take less than a year since you'd be an immediate relative. In this case, no.

michelleronald 01-28-2015 05:58 AM

Thank you (Demise) for sharing such valuable information with us.

Pianoswithoutfaith 01-28-2015 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelleronald (Post 551706)
Thank you (Demise) for sharing such valuable information with us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nawaz (Post 549555)

loving how "smart" these spammers are getting to get their links seen