DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Any good banks that don't need passport? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83690)

legendver2 06-26-2019 12:35 PM

Any good banks that don't need passport?

I'm in the process of planning to open another bank account to better organize my money. You guys know any good banks that don't require a current passport to open an account? Chase and BoA both need it, and at the same time I hear they both aren't that good anyway and suck in their APY for their savings. Any other suggestions?

JohannBernoulli1667 06-26-2019 12:45 PM

Re: Any good banks that don't need passport?

Quote:

Originally Posted by legendver2 (Post 738242)
I'm in the process of planning to open another bank account to better organize my money. You guys know any good banks that don't require a current passport to open an account? Chase and BoA both need it, and at the same time I hear they both aren't that good anyway and suck in their APY for their savings. Any other suggestions?

Credit unions..

legendver2 06-26-2019 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohannBernoulli1667 (Post 738243)
Credit unions..

They work like banks? How safe are they? Are they FDIC insured?

Malign0n 06-27-2019 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legendver2 (Post 738256)
They work like banks? How safe are they? Are they FDIC insured?

Credit unions aren’t out to make a profit like banks. All the proceeds go back to lending credit to its members. At a credit union, since you “own” your bank, they’re more likely to work with you in whatever financial situation (dreamers get loans through them more easily than a bank like Chase). And depending on your credit union, you’re keeping your money in your community. They are definitely safer than big banks like Bank of America or Wells Fargo since they don’t have an investment banking division, so your deposits aren’t used to fund speculative trading

Yes, they are federally insured with the NCUA for the same amounts guaranteed by the FDIC.

legendver2 06-27-2019 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malign0n (Post 738270)
Credit unions aren’t out to make a profit like banks. All the proceeds go back to lending credit to its members. At a credit union, since you “own” your bank, they’re more likely to work with you in whatever financial situation (dreamers get loans through them more easily than a bank like Chase). And depending on your credit union, you’re keeping your money in your community. They are definitely safer than big banks like Bank of America or Wells Fargo since they don’t have an investment banking division, so your deposits aren’t used to fund speculative trading

Yes, they are federally insured with the NCUA for the same amounts guaranteed by the FDIC.

Wow. Where can I find these? Are they scattered locally?

nada0012 06-27-2019 12:50 AM

I have Capital One and they dodnt ask for any passport and Same with Credit Union

Malign0n 06-27-2019 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legendver2 (Post 738275)
Wow. Where can I find these? Are they scattered locally?

Not sure if being sarcastic. But yes, there are different types of credit unions. To give you an example, some credit unions are exclusive to those who meet certain requirements such as a community credit union would require you to live or work or be related to someone who lives/works in that community. Some workplaces have their own credit union. Even military branches have credit unions like Navy Federal CU.

You’ll have to look at different things like fees, interest rates on checking/savings accounts, and how accessible their atms are. Many offer great competitive services and offer amazing perks. My credit union has ATMs in all Wawas and Sheetz convenience stores in my entire state. If I have to use an ATM that charges a fee, then I’m given back that money. I also have access to other credit union ATMs if I ever need it or am out of the area. I even have free foreign transactions.... if I ever need it. Sad face ;’(

You’ll be surprised by how many might be near you. A simple google search will show you the ones near you. I am very happy to bank with my credit union

Malign0n 06-27-2019 01:05 AM

If you’re in Virginia, I would completely and without a doubt recommend Virginia Credit Union.

legendver2 06-27-2019 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malign0n (Post 738283)
Not sure if being sarcastic. But yes, there are different types of credit unions. To give you an example, some credit unions are exclusive to those who meet certain requirements such as a community credit union would require you to live or work or be related to someone who lives/works in that community. Some workplaces have their own credit union. Even military branches have credit unions like Navy Federal CU.

You’ll have to look at different things like fees, interest rates on checking/savings accounts, and how accessible their atms are. Many offer great competitive services and offer amazing perks. My credit union has ATMs in all Wawas and Sheetz convenience stores in my entire state. If I have to use an ATM that charges a fee, then I’m given back that money. I also have access to other credit union ATMs if I ever need it or am out of the area. I even have free foreign transactions.... if I ever need it. Sad face ;’(

You’ll be surprised by how many might be near you. A simple google search will show you the ones near you. I am very happy to bank with my credit union

Thanks for the info my friend! Not being sarcastic at all, since today is literally the first time I've heard about credit unions.

JohannBernoulli1667 06-27-2019 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legendver2 (Post 738291)
Thanks for the info my friend! Not being sarcastic at all, since today is literally the first time I've heard about credit unions.

Credit unions are also great for Car loans, not that getting credit for a car is a good idea.