DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Austin to Albuquerque Checkpoints (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11882)

abc123 06-24-2009 06:30 AM

Austin to Albuquerque Checkpoints

Going to New Mexico Albuquerque. I am currently in Austin, and going to Dallas, then take 81 to Wichita Fallas to Amarillo, then take I-40 straight to Albuquerque.

Anyone know if there is any checkpoints or anything I should be aware of?

Austin -> Dallas -> Albuquerque

hopefulintheshadows 06-24-2009 05:15 PM

Re: Austin to Albuquerque Checkpoints

No, you are fine. Just don't go through El Paso.

abc123 06-25-2009 11:01 PM

I thought cops can only ask for driver's license not immigration status...

KindaWant 06-25-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abc123 (Post 134868)
I thought cops can only ask for driver's license not immigration status...

depends on the police department. some have been trained to check for immigration status. 287g program google it for more info.

The checkpoints however are run by border patrol (dhs) and are legal within 100 miles of any United States Border.

abc123 06-25-2009 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KindaWant (Post 134869)
depends on the police department. some have been trained to check for immigration status. 287g program google it for more info.

The checkpoints however are run by border patrol (dhs) and are legal within 100 miles of any United States Border.

What are the participating departments?

tiger66 06-26-2009 02:08 AM

do cops check everyone or just the driver?

my friend has a washington DL. im talking a small infraction. like just getting pulled over for speeding, something small.

KindaWant 06-26-2009 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger66 (Post 134888)
do cops check everyone or just the driver?

my friend has a washington DL. im talking a small infraction. like just getting pulled over for speeding, something small.

as a passenger:

can they ask you? - yes.

by law are you required to answer any of their questions? - no.

if the car you are riding in gets pulled over give the officer your first name only then just keep your mouth shut no matter what they ask. don't get out of the car, don't "show them id", don't believe them when they say "I can take you all to jail". Cops can say anything they want, this includes lie about what the law requires you to do. You'll be given a hard time, but will be let go.

KindaWant 06-26-2009 02:15 PM

Dude just go, if you end up going through a checkpoint just ask the border patrol "am i being detained or am I free to go?" they can't make you answer any question. refusing to answer can not be used as reasonable cause. the law only requires you to stop your car at the checkpoint, it does not require you to answer any questions. If they ask you to step out of the car don't, if they ask you to pull over for further inspection don't. Just sit in your car and answer every question they ask you with "am i being detained or am I free to go?" they have to let you go.

elmichoacano 06-26-2009 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KindaWant (Post 134922)
Dude just go, if you end up going through a checkpoint just ask the border patrol "am i being detained or am I free to go?" they can't make you answer any question. refusing to answer can not be used as reasonable cause. the law only requires you to stop your car at the checkpoint, it does not require you to answer any questions. If they ask you to step out of the car don't, if they ask you to pull over for further inspection don't. Just sit in your car and answer every question they ask you with "am i being detained or am I free to go?" they have to let you go.

lol....how about refusing to identify yourself! I travel to mexico often and I have never seen a idiot try to pull what you just described. All they have to do is "suspect" something and they will refer your vehicle to a secondary inspection and at this secondary inspection they grill you with all sorts of questions. Shit i've even seen cars get partially dissasembled...

lookingforchange 06-27-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KindaWant (Post 134922)

the worst advice ever!