DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Florida Dreamer's Hurricane thread. (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83846)

beingoflight 08-30-2019 05:43 PM

Florida Dreamer's Hurricane thread.

Central FL here.

Gonna stay at a hotel while the hurricane passes. Kinda skeptical of how bad its going to be due to past experiences but holy sht people are panicking ._.

2MoreYears 08-30-2019 06:11 PM

Re: Florida Dreamer's Hurricane thread.

Been wanting to buy some real estate in FL but hurricanes have stopped me.

How Orlando does during hurricanes?

beingoflight 08-30-2019 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2MoreYears (Post 740370)
Been wanting to buy some real estate in FL but hurricanes have stopped me.

How Orlando does during hurricanes?

A few floods here and there but nothing big.

1 or 2 Electric poles sometimes fall and kill electricity but gets restored quick.

The only reason im going to stay at a hotel is because they are cheap rn.

Didn't even bought too much to prepare, people are over exaggerating here.

IamAman 08-31-2019 05:36 AM

Hurricanes are unpredictable. It could turn out to be a complete dud and you'll feel silly and angry that you bought into the hype or it could be the real deal and a complete nightmare. It's still best to prepare. My brief experience with hurricanes in the gulf coast:

Katrina caught a lot of people off guard and then there were dead bodies floating in the streets, people on roof tops looking to be rescued, thousands of refugees etc.

Then Rita came the next season and people in my part of the country freaked the fuck out. Plywood was all sold out and even a 100 miles in-land, you'd see houses being boarded up; Gas (which was over $3 at the time) was all sold out and there would be fights breaking out when some people would bring extra large tanks to fill up; Generators sold out; Bottled water sold out and grocery stores stripped bare.

All that wasn't even enough because even the people with the boarded up houses with all their supplies started seeing the hurricane turning into a Cat 5 freaked out some more and all decided to evacuate the day before the hurricane was to hit, even people who were 60 or more miles inland. The result was complete congestion and many people ran out of gas on the freeways, some even dying from the heat and medical conditions.

Then the hurricane changed course and pretty much missed everything and hit another part that wasn't as populated though it caused a lot of damage. People started getting pissed off at the weather report hype, ate canned food for a month, missed time from work, etc. for nothing.

When Ike came around 3 years later, people thought "Oh hell no, I'm not falling for this shit again". Even some people in the coast line said they weren't going to evacuate. I didn't see anybody boarding up windows or anything inland. People had some supplies but were not panicking. Then Ike hit and hit hard...trees fell over, powerlines out - and for the next week or two, it was miserable. It was hot, food was hard to find, etc.

With Harvey, they remembered all the wind and power outage but that turned out to be a rainmaker and a completely different animal.

DogJuiceMan 09-01-2019 09:29 PM

Moral of the story is even nature hates florida.

Tacvbo 09-05-2019 04:33 PM

Florida is the real shit hole Donny was talking about lol