DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Official 2016 Renewal Thread (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=73157)

akkiano 07-08-2016 03:12 PM

Re: Official 2016 Renewal Thread

I talked to HR at my company and informed them of the situation at hand and of the high possibility of my EAD expiring before I got a renewal. After touching base with the company's immigration attorney, I was informed that after my EAD expired I had to be placed on unpaid leave (which I expected) and that they could hold my position maybe for 2-3 months before I had to be terminated — yikes :shock:

I would recommend for those of you with expirations coming up to start planning for the worst and begin talking with your HR department to see what can be done to save your position.

One thing I want to add is that the immigration attorney told HR that EAD's take about 90-120 to renew. Take that for whatever it's worth.

NotYetKnown 07-08-2016 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akkiano (Post 571018)
I talked to HR at my company and informed them of the situation at hand and of the high possibility of my EAD expiring before I got a renewal. After touching base with the company's immigration attorney, I was informed that after my EAD expired I had to be placed on unpaid leave (which I expected) and that they could hold my position maybe for 2-3 months before I had to be terminated — yikes :shock:

I would recommend for those of you with expirations coming up to start planning for the worst and begin talking with your HR department to see what can be done to save your position.

One thing I want to add is that the immigration attorney told HR that EAD's take about 90-120 to renew. Take that for whatever it's worth.

Great advice. I'm still pretty confident we'll all get a renewal before the expatriation--for those of us who submitted on the 150th day before expiration.

I'll still take steps to contact HR. Thanks again for the advice!

Dream becomes Reality 07-09-2016 09:14 AM

My own 2 cents guys is that I think they may be waiting to approve most applications about a month before the expiration of your current DACA, that way you do not lose months. I commend Dreamers here for being on the ball and filing your applications right at the 150 day mark, I think that's why the wait seems so long since there were still months to go before expiration. I expect to start seeing approvals soon in the next couple of weeks for those with documents expiring in August. Regarding contacting HR at your jobs, if HR does not ask any questions, I would not volunteer any information. I would wait to receive the EAD and then update my information then with HR.

Nexus 07-09-2016 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dream becomes Reality (Post 571031)
My own 2 cents guys is that I think they may be waiting to approve most applications about a month before the expiration of your current DACA, that way you do not lose months. I commend Dreamers here for being on the ball and filing your applications right at the 150 day mark, I think that's why the wait seems so long since there were still months to go before expiration. I expect to start seeing approvals soon in the next couple of weeks for those with documents expiring in August. Regarding contacting HR at your jobs, if HR does not ask any questions, I would not volunteer any information. I would wait to receive the EAD and then update my information then with HR.

100% Agreed with this and the above.

cufnc 07-10-2016 12:12 PM

If it's worth anything, I'm in a similar situation here too. Applied the first day back in 2012, and my first expiration was September and then after renewal my expiration became mid-August 2016. I applied back in early April ~125 days ahead. Biometrics appointment was in early May, and I haven't heard a thing since then. HR has already reminded me to provide my new EAD, and my friends and I have a trip planned in September to Puerto Rico. Reading all this helps though because clearly the situation is not unique, and I am hoping that our renewals start coming through later this month.

freshh. 07-10-2016 12:49 PM

My Timeline
  • DACA Expires: 11.11.16 in 144 days
  • Renewal Sent: 06.20.16 (Chicago, IL) | Date delivered: 06.21.16 | G-1145: 06.27.16 |
  • Date Biometrics scheduled: 07.14.16 (Completed on 07.14.16)
  • Renewal Approved: --

Sister's Timeline
  • DACA Expires: 11.16.16 in 149 days
  • Renewal Sent: 06.20.16 (Chicago, IL) | Date delivered: 06.21.16 | G-1145: 06.27.16 |
  • Date Biometrics scheduled: 07.14.16 (Completed on 07.14.16)
  • Renewal Approved: --

freshh. 07-10-2016 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dream becomes Reality (Post 571031)

That's how I have always handled it. There is no need to contact them before you've received your renewal or they reach out to you.

MitchAPalooza23 07-11-2016 09:32 AM

Can you guys even access your case status? Every time I log onto myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov it brings me to my.uscis.gov

NotYetKnown 07-11-2016 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MitchAPalooza23 (Post 571069)
Can you guys even access your case status? Every time I log onto myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov it brings me to my.uscis.gov

I was able to, but I also noticed it kept rerouting the last time I tried logging on. For me, it kept routing me to take the nationalization pretest.

Swoosh23 07-11-2016 01:53 PM

USCIS needs well informed employees. The lady that I spoke to kept telling me that I can't do anything until 6 months from my receipt date. I was trying to let her know that on their website my case will be out of processing time in 3.5 months because it's been processed in Nebraska. After explaining to her few more times because she was getting aggravated she finally saw that I was right. Pure crazyness