DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Florida people GTFIH (Valencia college) (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=37667)

xTunax 01-24-2013 05:52 PM

Florida people GTFIH (Valencia college)

So yesterday I went to apply to the Osceola campus of Valencia. I explained my situation to this very nice lady. She explained that, I would have to classify as independent to be able to apply, because of my parents being undocumented. And that I would have to pay out of state tuition, until I was legally here for 1 year.

She asked me what was my status and I showed her my EAD. She saw the c33 classification, and said that the international student services would know something about that.

There was no international service center at the Osceola campus so I had to go to the West campus.

Today I went to the West campus, and another lady explained that I could apply for instate tuition, and that the Osceola campus is misinformed. She asked for my EAD, and the I-821 letter. She then said, that I would need residence proof. The ones that I had were:
  • Tier 1:
    High school Transcripts
    proof of purchase of a permanent home
  • Tier 2:
    Utility bill of 12 consecutive months
    copy of lease agreement and proof of 12 consecutive months of payment

You need at least 2 things, it doesn't matter from which tier. you can find the rest here
http://valenciacollege.edu/admission...nttuition3.pdf

Also she said that Valencia accepts undocumented students (those with no DACA). They have to pay out of state though. She said that the Osceola campus is misinformed,:-P and that you should apply to the West campus.

twisterspeed 01-24-2013 07:02 PM

Re: Florida people GTFIH (Valencia college)

Cool man, thanks for the heads up. I havent been approved yet, however I dont have any bills under my name, and I graduated high school in 2008, how could I prove my residence? I also do not have a bank account.

Dreamville 01-24-2013 08:30 PM

They told my friend the same thing recently when she went to Osceola
That she needed to be living in Florida at least 1 year legally/with daca to qualify for in state
I'm going to tell her to go check the west campus
Thanks for the info and keep us updated if you get accepted for instate

xTunax 01-24-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twisterspeed (Post 414847)
Cool man, thanks for the heads up. I havent been approved yet, however I dont have any bills under my name, and I graduated high school in 2008, how could I prove my residence? I also do not have a bank account.

Well the residency form states that the High school transcripts be no older than 12 months. What you could do is, once you get approved, get a full time job (more than 30 hours according to the guidelines) and that counts as one of them, although you would have to work there for more than a year. If you are under the age of 24, you can use bills in name of your parents (at least 12 consecutive months). If none if this works for you, then I suggest getting something that counts as an utility ( cell phone providers don't count) in your name, and try finding a full time job for 12 months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamville (Post 414874)
They told my friend the same thing recently when she went to Osceola
That she needed to be living in Florida at least 1 year legally/with daca to qualify for in state
I'm going to tell her to go check the west campus
Thanks for the info and keep us updated if you get accepted for instate

Yeah the lady said, the Osceola campus is really misinformed. Thanks and yeah its pretty much all set, I am going there Monday with all the documents.

MDxOD 01-25-2013 01:14 AM

Wish this was facebook/instagram/tweeter or whatever because:

@HOPEFULDREAMER
@HOPEFULDREAMER
@HOPEFULDREAMER

Jimegirl87 01-25-2013 01:21 AM

This is great information, thanks to the OP for posting! :)

s.magali 01-25-2013 02:16 PM

I'm so moving to Orlando as soon as Vermont service center hurries the f. up with the approvals. I've been waiting sin October 5th!

PakkAttackk 01-25-2013 06:00 PM

Thanks SOOOO much for a post like this. Can you explain how you explained everything to the people in Valencia? I'll be going to college next semester (graduated HS last year) & I am so clueless on college & how I'm gonna explain everything to them..

xTunax 01-25-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PakkAttackk (Post 415379)
Thanks SOOOO much for a post like this. Can you explain how you explained everything to the people in Valencia? I'll be going to college next semester (graduated HS last year) & I am so clueless on college & how I'm gonna explain everything to them..

No problem lol. And I was in a similar situation last fall. I got denied at the osceola campus of valencia, and at the time i didn't know that I could apply to west Valencia. so I had to go to Polk State which was like 40 minutes away, and had to pay out of state.

Well anyway apply online right now, hopefully you have your SSN by now because it is required on the application. once they mail you the approval of your application(2-5 days). Then you can either print the residence application, or ask for a copy at any campus. Since you are just graduating high school, that counts as one of the qualifications. The others you can find in the op. Remember you need at least 2. Then you can go to the West campus, go to room 146 in the SSB and talk to one of the counselors there. Remember to bring your EAD, and your DACA letter.

With all that done you will be able to qualify for instate tution, Good luck :-).

PakkAttackk 01-27-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xTunax (Post 415479)
No problem lol. And I was in a similar situation last fall. I got denied at the osceola campus of valencia, and at the time i didn't know that I could apply to west Valencia. so I had to go to Polk State which was like 40 minutes away, and had to pay out of state.

Well anyway apply online right now, hopefully you have your SSN by now because it is required on the application. once they mail you the approval of your application(2-5 days). Then you can either print the residence application, or ask for a copy at any campus. Since you are just graduating high school, that counts as one of the qualifications. The others you can find in the op. Remember you need at least 2. Then you can go to the West campus, go to room 146 in the SSB and talk to one of the counselors there. Remember to bring your EAD, and your DACA letter.

With all that done you will be able to qualify for instate tution, Good luck :-).

Sadly I JUST got my EAD Card today & SSN Offices are closed on the weekends so I'll have to wait until Monday to go apply & then after I get it, I have to go get my driver's license & such. So basically, I should wait to get my SSN then apply online (is there a link?). Also what is a residence application? I'm a total college/life noob right now lol. Again, THANK YOU soooo much. It's hard to get advice about this stuff from people in similar situations.