DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Which banks give credit cards to people with DACA? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=73656)

umirinbrah 06-12-2016 06:39 PM

Which banks give credit cards to people with DACA?

I went to wells fargo and got denied a credit card, because I am not a permanent resident, but I was approved for a secured card. So has this happened to any of you? I was hoping to build credit so if I stay with WF I will never get a real credit card, so I'm thinking of closing my account, and look for a bank that can help me.

What can I do guys? What banks give credit cards to people with DACA, and help build credit? :?:

umirinbrah 06-12-2016 07:08 PM

Re: Which banks give credit cards to people with DACA?

Brahs....

nubianqueen 06-12-2016 07:08 PM

i had to get a secured card in order to build my credit. Used it for a year, made payments on time and then my credit score went from a 4 to a 790. Now i have cc offers left and right .
I would advise you to keep the secured card open and have some activity for at least 6 months . After that you can try getting a cc with capital one . also having too many hard inquiries on lowers your credit score and stay on your credit report for 2 years.

umirinbrah 06-12-2016 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nubianqueen (Post 569619)
i had to get a secured card in order to build my credit. Used it for a year, made payments on time and then my credit score went from a 4 to a 790. Now i have cc offers left and right .
I would advise you to keep the secured card open and have some activity for at least 6 months . After that you can try getting a cc with capital one . also having too many hard inquiries on lowers your credit score and stay on your credit report for 2 years.

but why stay with wells fargo if I will never get a credit card with them? I can get a secured card with another bank, one that will actually give me a credit card.

markten 06-12-2016 07:49 PM

Go to bank of america and start with a secured card..after one year, you will get back your $200 and they upgrade it to a credit card. That's what I did...also I made a checking account with Chase first and after a couple of years of building credit, Chase issued me a credit card without any issues. Bank of America is probably the best place to start... I don't know about other banks.

Chyno 06-13-2016 07:06 AM

CITI, Chase, Webster Bank, Discover, Wells Fargo.

BrokeAssJr 06-13-2016 07:45 AM

F*** Wells fargo! They will deny everybody on a credit card that has DACA. I was pending for a 13k credit line and was denied cuz I'm not a permanent resident. Go to bank of america or chase I have 18k credit line with BofA and 17k with chase. Stay away from Wells Fargo!!!

Ianus 06-13-2016 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umirinbrah (Post 569620)
but why stay with wells fargo if I will never get a credit card with them? I can get a secured card with another bank, one that will actually give me a credit card.

Go to the places where you will want their elite credit cards and build credit with them. I hope you have not activated the Wells Fargo secured credit either, because that can also negatively impact your credit history.

I think Chase is actually your best bet to have a long and well-established credit file. Bank of America has been known to regress your credit limit base on use or lack their of. Capital One is great, but they pull your credit report from all three bureaus and you want to limit those hard inquiries. Stay away from Amex since they will likely deny, and Discover because not many places accept their payment services. Although, Discover has probably one of the best rewards secured credit cards and if payment acceptance is not an issue that could be an option for their Discover secured IT card.

Also, if you have some money on the side I would get a credit builder loan from a local credit union with a low APR 4-5%, pay it all off over six months, check your credit score on creditsesame, quizzle or creditkarma and based on your score apply for the safest credit card options. This option in addition to on time payments with a secured credit card will increase your score dramatically over six months to a year.

freshh. 06-13-2016 11:44 AM

OP, apply for a card through Capital One. They're awesome, and I've gotten multiple credit increases in the last 4 years.

My first card was not secured, had a small limit and allowed me to build my credit in a short period of time.

Chyno 06-13-2016 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokeAssJr (Post 569643)
F*** Wells fargo! They will deny everybody on a credit card that has DACA. I was pending for a 13k credit line and was denied cuz I'm not a permanent resident. Go to bank of america or chase I have 18k credit line with BofA and 17k with chase. Stay away from Wells Fargo!!!

I have a wells Fargo credit card. No reason to hate.